• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

one step closer

hopelesscase

Hello everyone
I got a copy of the letter that the endocrainology consultant has sent to my Dr and the PCT today.
In it he was asking my Dr to ask the PCT for funding as i fulfil the NICE criteria for being considered for immidiate bariatric surgery.
I go for my sleep studies on monday. What do they do?
thanks
HC

Hi HC

I am in Bolton too! What PCT are you under?
I had my sleep study about 6 weeks ago, basically I just picked up a little machine that you strap just under your bust, you have a little tube that just goes inside your nose and a pulse checker that you have on your finger. Pretty harmless, doesn't bother your sleeping at all. Then you just return it the next day.....and wait for ages for the results!! Mine seem to have got lost but I'm hopign to get them before my consult with my surgeon next week.

Ask any questions you want! Hopefully I can help!

Cx

sounds positive HC, hope the sleep test goes well :)

Cat how funny we both arrived here on the same day from the same place. Im under bolton PCT. Have you already got yr funding, how long did it take befor you found out. Are you having your op at salford? what are you having done? you did say just ask didn't you?!!!!

Hi
I'm actually under Salford PCT as that is where my GP is and I'll be having my op at Spire in Leeds.
I first went to my GP back in December last year and got confirmation of my funding about 4 weeks ago. I have my consultation with my surgeon this coming Thursday and I'm hoping I'll have a date pretty soon after that.
Where about's are you up to in the process? Ooh, I'm having a bypass - considered all the options but decided that the bypass was best for me!

Cat x

Last edited:
Hi hopelesscase - nice to see a fellow boltonian on here - whereabouts you from - I live near Horwich?

The sleep study you have comin up is just as Cat321 explains - not anything to worry about really.

Just had my results through and found out I have severe sleep apnoea - even though this means I will need a CPAP machine before the op - it doesn't seem to be anything that my surgeon is overly worried about.

My GP started the ball rolling with me by sending me to Hope Hospital - but when I got my funding for surgery approved for some reason I was told the op was to be done by prof Mcmahon at Leeds - not that I am complaining suppose to be one of the best hospitals / surgeons so feel like I have landed on my feet really. Just waiting for my op date now.

Hi HC,

didn't take too long to hear I had been approved funding - probably only 3 or 4 weeks (may have something to do with me phoning and enquiring on a regular basis).

In fact the whole process seems to have been pretty quick for me - I first went to my GP to enquire about wls at the beginning of May and here I am now a mere eight weeks later having met my surgeon and awaiting my op date.

Can't believe it has all happened so smoothly and quickly - keep waiting for something to go wrong - but so far it hasn't. I have even ended up with who I believe to be one of the best surgeons in one of the best hospitals.

Lets hope things go as smoothly for you.

Thanks for that caroline. My dad has been really poorly and i havent really focused on time up till now. i am due to have surgery on my shoulder on the 24th and i was going to have to pospone it but sadly he died very peacefully in the early hours this morning.
My head is a bit scrambled at the moment but i will get there one way or another.

You poor thing - that is awful.

I really feel for you. If you need anything please shout up - I have very broad shoulders.

sending you lots of hugs at this terrible time. :hug99:

hi hopelesscase,

I know we don't "know" each other but I couldn't read your last post and not say anything.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Alice xx

Oh HC I'm so sorry, will be thinking of you x

Sending you big hugs at this difficult time HC. thinking of you and your family xx

So sorry to hear about your Dad, sending lots of hugs your way.

By the way, I'm in Farnworth too. xx

Hi

Just wanted to say very sorry for your loss xxx

Back