• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ADVICE-Manchester area...please help x

emma-louise

my new life!!
Hello all on here,just this minute joined,as need some advice..
On friday I got my letter from the PCT,saying Id been approved funding for an assessment with a bariatric provider..and now I have to choose either hospital SALFORD or THE SPIRE manchester.
Im a bit confused as does this mean I have funding for the bypass operation,or just to been seen again??
I have already been to see dr new and another consultant at salford,along with sleep tests I had done,and blood tests.
Any advice would be great,as now i have to choose which hospital to go too,and is there further evalutions at either hospital i have to do,as Ive had all previous appointments at salford is it best to go here...sorry to witter! but im sat here stressed with my letter from pct and toothache BAD:wave_cry: Thanks to all who can help

Hi Emma Louise, and welcome to a great site.

Mr Ammori did my bypass and I know he operates at both the Spire and Salford Royal. The Spire is a private hospital but there are cases where NHS funded patients are treated at The Spire. All I can suggest is that perhaps you could contact your dr at Salford to seek clarifiction?

sounds as though you have yr funding and as you have already had yr consultations its just a case of choosin the hopsital now.

thanks for the replys,does anyone know if you have to have futher tests though at salford or spire?
I thought Ive had all tests done,but as ive been reading through forums,its all very different from person to person.
Im just wondering what it means by assessment on my letter..Id love to hear from salford or spire patients who have had operations there..and what to expect one funding is in place..thanks

Emma-Louise I am with Trafford PCT and I chose to go to The Spire. At the first meeting the NHS patients were told that our funding was granted for only the pre op assessment. The hospital or surgeon could turn us down if we did not meet the criteria. However if we did the hospital would then apply for the surgery funding and would get it. there was no further waiting for funding in my case.

The time from initial meeting at the hospital to my operation was about 6 weeks, however it could have been 2 weeks less! I did not have any tests except for the basics blood and heart, if you do need any others The Spire have to refer you back to your GP whereas Salford would do them in house.

My main concern was that I had my surgery performed by Mr Ammori everything else was a secondary consideration. I have been very impressed with the care I received at The Spire. It was my first time in hospital and because I live alone I had to stay for two nights rather than the more usual one. Everyone was very kind and considerate and more importantly impeccably professional, so I can recommend it. Having said that I am sure I would have been fine at Salford as it has an excellent reputation, but I think I may have had a slightly longer wait.

Good luck!

Last edited:
hi, i had my op last tuesday at the spire, done by Mr Decadt and would reccommend him. The hospital was really nice, private room and lovely nurses that really looked after me and were excellent at responding to my pain etc. If I needed anything at all, they got it really quick, even a pot of tea at 4am when i couldn't sleep!

If they are willing to fund it, I'd choose The Spire over Salford

i was told that hope hospital is shut for no new bariatric patients for the near future i am not sure if hope is salford but i think it is.

I had my surgery at Salford well over a year ago and I was thrilled with my treatment. I have nothing but praise for the Salford team and would recommend them to anyone. Also wanted to point out that both the Spire & Salford have multiple surgeons and unless you have a particularly tricky case, you may not get Dr. Ammori. Remember aftercare is very important when selecting a bariatric team so you should compare them at both Spire & Salford. I know that my aftercare is excellent, includes a large patient support group and has check-ups for life.

Best of luck in chosing and crossing my fingers for you that you have a surgery date in the very near future!

Nic:p

i too had my surgery at Salford and cannot recommend it enough, the pre surgery and post op care have been second to none, i have always felt 100% safe in there hands and there is always somebody at the end of a phone if i had any worries or concerns.
I had an initial appointment with Mr Ammouri and Dr New, then had the sleep study and saw Carly, the phycologist, then it was just waiting for the call with my op date.
Good luck and make the choice that suits you.

Back