• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

One year in!! Do you want to know how I feel??

Pinkfluffyemma

Hi all

I have lurked around this site for the last 12 months but rarely have much to say. I fear that no one is interested and I also worry because I have not been as successful as so many of you on here. But having said that I have built up the courage to share my story so far and hope that some of you have a read. Some may be able to relate to this and some may be able to offer some advice...so here goes......

I was banded by THG on the 11th of Feb 2012. I am 34 5ft 4 and at consultation weighed 16stone exactly. I have 2 children, 4 and 5 and although I have never been really slim it was during my pregnancies that I gained most of my weight.

To date I have lost 2 stone but have been stuck for a good 6 months. I have just reached restriction (I think) and have had a lot of 'in and out' with my fluid as I work for any airline and last year travelled to India, Hong Kong and New York, for work so needed fluid out.

I would love to be one of the people on here who seem to have just developed a new found will power overnight after surgery but I'm not. If I had the will power I wouldn't have required surgery in the first place!

I have 6.75 in a 10ml band and to date I'm yet to find anything I cannot eat, except the obvious, bread!!! But, I can eat toast...with ease! I often wonder if it has worked at all when some people share what they can and can't eat and will say 'I can eat broccoli but I can't eat cauliflower' or I can eat wafer thin chicken but my band doesn't like ham' I don't have this problem with anything!! so am I not restricted then? or is a large part of the band all in the mind??

Another reason why I feel I may not be losing as well as others is that I am on Prozac and have been for the duration of my banded life..I am weaning off now so time will tell if this helps.

What I have found excellent about the band is that although I hoped I would have lost more by now I very rarely put anything on. Even after 3 xmas parties in December drinking a lot of wine I only put 2 pound on and it was gone again the next week. In years gone by I have put 10 pound on over Xmas so this can't be bad...right?

Another positive is that I have a much improved attitude towards food. I have joined weightwatchers (only on first week) and I find myself making much more sensible food choices than any of the other million times I have joined before..so maybe 2013 is going to be my year...if I can get another 2 stone off I'll be happy...if I can get 3 off I'll be over the moon..only time wil tell!!

Thanks for reading hope this isn't too long a post

Emma xxx

I was banded last august and have lost 4 stone up to now but don't have restriction yet.

Like you I can eat anything but same again I don't gain like I used to, been on an all inclusive holiday and had a very indulgent xmas with wine cheese and chocolate and still lost 1kg at weigh in Monday.

Weight watchers will spur you back on and I am sure you will lose the remaining weight this year, keep us posted x x

Hi all

I have lurked around this site for the last 12 months but rarely have much to say. I fear that no one is interested and I also worry because I have not been as successful as so many of you on here. But having said that I have built up the courage to share my story so far and hope that some of you have a read. Some may be able to relate to this and some may be able to offer some advice...so here goes......

I was banded by THG on the 11th of Feb 2012. I am 34 5ft 4 and at consultation weighed 16stone exactly. I have 2 children, 4 and 5 and although I have never been really slim it was during my pregnancies that I gained most of my weight.

To date I have lost 2 stone but have been stuck for a good 6 months. I have just reached restriction (I think) and have had a lot of 'in and out' with my fluid as I work for any airline and last year travelled to India, Hong Kong and New York, for work so needed fluid out.

I would love to be one of the people on here who seem to have just developed a new found will power overnight after surgery but I'm not. If I had the will power I wouldn't have required surgery in the first place!

I have 6.75 in a 10ml band and to date I'm yet to find anything I cannot eat, except the obvious, bread!!! But, I can eat toast...with ease! I often wonder if it has worked at all when some people share what they can and can't eat and will say 'I can eat broccoli but I can't eat cauliflower' or I can eat wafer thin chicken but my band doesn't like ham' I don't have this problem with anything!! so am I not restricted then? or is a large part of the band all in the mind??

Another reason why I feel I may not be losing as well as others is that I am on Prozac and have been for the duration of my banded life..I am weaning off now so time will tell if this helps.

What I have found excellent about the band is that although I hoped I would have lost more by now I very rarely put anything on. Even after 3 xmas parties in December drinking a lot of wine I only put 2 pound on and it was gone again the next week. In years gone by I have put 10 pound on over Xmas so this can't be bad...right?

Another positive is that I have a much improved attitude towards food. I have joined weightwatchers (only on first week) and I find myself making much more sensible food choices than any of the other million times I have joined before..so maybe 2013 is going to be my year...if I can get another 2 stone off I'll be happy...if I can get 3 off I'll be over the moon..only time wil tell!!

Thanks for reading hope this isn't too long a post

Emma xxx

Hi Emma 2 stone is not to be sniffed at, you need to think what would you now weigh if you hadn't got the band - your doing great Hun x x

I too compare myself to others that are loosing 3-4lb a week when I lose about 1.5lb on average, It's your own journey and I think your doing amazing especially if you have to keep having fluid in and out because of your job x

Keep at it you will get there x

Emma I agree with meggie moo, just think where you could have been without your band. Two stones off, is far far better than two stones on ... Well done you ... Keep plodding on and remain positive, that attitude will get you where you want ... And off those meds!

:talk017:

Hi hun

Don't feel like you have to just lurk, join in!

As for the will power some need it more than others, just like some lose the weight just by volume reduction (me).

It doesn't mean they have found it easy or that their band is a magic wand any more than yours is.

I'm sorry to hear you feel dissapointed with your loss so far but as others have said, without your band you might not have lost and maintained that.

Personaly I think joining a slimming club is a good idea, it will give you discipline of gaining control over what you eat, coupled with the weigh in's.

Another thing I would urge you to do is speak to your team, dietician if possible. Discuss with them what you eat, how you feel and what they can do to help you.

I'm on anti depressants too although I can't say they have had an impact on my weight loss, I know depression and medication can make you develop an 'oh well' attitude.

Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on xx

Hi Emma, I think we could be twins!! i had my op in March last year and have also lost 2 stone, on anti depressants also and feel dissapointed in myself more than anything. I'm hoping to book a holiday abroad in October so hope i can loose a bit more. Its not an easy way out having the band and sometimes i wish i had had a sleeve or bypass but all wlsurgery is hard to deal with. It's mostly head hunger with me. I have 6mls in a 10 band and the only time i feel it is in the morning. Keep posting and im looking forward to your posts. Helen X

Hi
I have to say as a new bander this does worry me...
I am 5'10" tall and was 24.7 I am now 21.8
I worry that the band may not be the answer as I have dieted all my life and had very little success..

I worry that I will fall back into old habits and not loose the weight as quickly as I hope to
Some people on here have lost 8/9/10 or more stones in a year..and Im really intrigued what support you have received from THG as that is where I had my band done
Good Luck xxx

Hi there, nice to meet you!

Every loss is to be celebrated and two stones off great. If you are interested in loosing a bit more, would a little more in your band help? It is a fine line between living with real restriction and living with a band that helps your mind games.

I think my band is a mind games band. If I listen to my hunger signals and eat at regular meal times and snack times, it works. I also have to choose healthier foods.

If I eat when I want, whatever I want and only let myself be stopped by the pain of eating too much or too quick, it doesnt work.

I think it is about working out how to use the band as a tool. And I am still learning!

love and luck for another 2 stone!

Well done on your loss 2 stone is brill! stick to the rules exercise and keep plodding. As everyone else has said think where you might be had you not have had the band done x x x

Back