• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Onwards and upwards

A great start to 2017 :)

Hi, welcome and good luck with the journey ahead.

Hi all, I know 6 weeks is the timescale for recovery after op but was wondering if anyone went back to work before 6 weeks please

I'm not sure yet, surgeon appointment on 9th Jan. Had cpap since Feb last yr, been signed off by psychologist so I'm assuming this is the home straight for me so I'm thinking ahead as far as time off work. Given the choice I'd go with the full bypass x

How active is your job?, most people I know with desk jobs have been back to work after two weeks, I don't know many people who have taken a full six weeks off work . I had the sleeve so slightly different, but by two weeks I was fine, just tired, but waited six weeks to start physical activities that strained my stomach just to be safe :)

I was back at work after a week with my band and the same with the removal and after two weeks with my sleeve.

Everyone is different and the type of work you do needs to be factored in.

The hospital will issue you with an initial not fit for work note, which can be extended by your GP if your not ready to go back.

I had the bypass and I was actually off for 7 weeks! everyone is different but I was so wiped out by it there is no way I would have felt ok for work at 2 weeks. I think the normal for a bypass would be 4 weeks at a minimum - remember that there is a great deal of healing going on inside, you might look ok on the outside but inside you are still healing a lot - especially if you have a physical job like cleaning. I would plan on the longer time off and if you feel able to go back sooner then it is a bonus for you. My GP wanted me on solid food before going back to work as well, so that you start to get into a routine of eating and drinking. So that was after 6 weeks for me - after liquids, puree and soft foods then onto solids.

I went back just over a week later from the sleeve.

Hi all, I know all hospitals work differently but I'm a bit confused so hope someone can help. I've got lrd assessment and dietician assessment on 21st Feb, I've met surgeon and we agreed which procedure I'm having, but today I've received a pre-admission assessment date and pre-op assessment questionnaire to complete so is this my pre-op that I keep reading about on here and does this mean I'm nearly at a surgery date?

Hi all, I know all hospitals work differently but I'm a bit confused so hope someone can help. I've got lrd assessment and dietician assessment on 21st Feb, I've met surgeon and we agreed which procedure I'm having, but today I've received a pre-admission assessment date and pre-op assessment questionnaire to complete so is this my pre-op that I keep reading about on here and does this mean I'm nearly at a surgery date?
I had my first pre-op the same day I saw the surgeon and was put on the waiting list, and surgery was supposed to be within 18 weeks - NHS Guidelines. Pre-ops are valid up to 20 weeks and then have to be repeated after that. I was on the waiting list for 7 months so had to have another. :( Don't get your hopes up that surgery is imminent but you may want to ring the bariatric surgery co-ordinator to find out how long the list is. You should get at least two weeks notice about your LRD before surgery anyway.

I had my first pre-op the same day I saw the surgeon and was put on the waiting list, and surgery was supposed to be within 18 weeks - NHS Guidelines. Pre-ops are valid up to 20 weeks and then have to be repeated after that. I was on the waiting list for 7 months so had to have another. :( Don't get your hopes up that surgery is imminent but you may want to ring the bariatric surgery co-ordinator to find out how long the list is. You should get at least two weeks notice about your LRD before surgery anyway.
Brilliant thank you I feel a bit less confused now, surgeon did say I was looking at march/April

Well I took all my medication including pain relief as normal but if you're not sure it's always best to check with your team directly :)

Hi guys, this is a long shot but hopefully someone has an answer. I'm booked for surgery on Wednesday 1st march and yesterday I've woken up with a whopping cold sore, will it stop me getting surgery?

I'm in the same boat! Due for surgery Tuesday and woke with a cold...... doing everything I can to get rid asap! Typical isn't it x

I'm in the same boat! Due for surgery Tuesday and woke with a cold...... doing everything I can to get rid asap! Typical isn't it x
I can't believe it!! I'm thinking it's a combination of lrd and stress. Been trying to google it but getting conflicting answers. Lots of vitamin c for you. Good luck x

I know think mine is due to stress, I've googled it too but can't make sense if it..... thankfully I don't have a fever just a bunged up nose so hopefully all will be well Tuesday!
Good luck to you too x

Back