• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

open or keyhole bypass?

rachaelh

Hi all, am still researching into everything after being approved funding by my PCT (south tyneside)

I think from the research i've been doing the bypass is going to be the right option for me but have noticed from the reading on here that there seems to be 2 types of bypass, open and keyhole, i was wondering what is the difference in recovery times and how is the decision made as to which one you will receive? is it based on the surgeon or the individual patient?

All info is greatly appreciated! :D

rachaelh:confused:

Hi Hun

I think given the choice, most patients would go for keyhole as the recovery times are much much quicker. However, the decision may well be out of your hands. Often its down to whether or not your PCT will fund keyhole surgery as the cost difference is significant. xx

thanks, i thought that might be the case but im still shocked about the aproval for funding so am staring to think now about all the little questions!

For me, getting the funding approved was the most stressful time. I was able to relax once I knew funding was in place.

So have you seen consultant yet? And have you been given any sort of guidelines about how long it might take?

i made an appointment to see my gp last week and he told me he'd received the fax the same morning confirming that funding has been approved but told me i have to ring back next week to get the details to make my appointment, but he wasn't really specific as he was called away from the appointment to sort an emergency, he gave me a letter stating "you have been referred by your doctor to the hospital of your choice, it is your responsibility to book the appointment" and then its got a bit on it about you will need a reference no and password to book, but i couldn't get that from him as he had only just got the fax before i went in, which is why i'll be on the phone first thing tomorrow, but i'll keep you posted when i find more out myself!

Back