• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bypass vs sleeve!

wencho

today ive been given a date for my seminar app which is next thursday!
im still unsure of the type of op that would suit me best.
how did you all decide which 1 was for you or did the surgeon decide based on age/health/food groups etc?
i had origionally decided upon the bypass but want to check this would be the best option but im still quite clueless on where to start looking for info on what is best for me!
any help would be much appreciated....thnx in advance!

I was thinking of having the band but was advised by my surgeon to have the bypass due to my large BMI and my eating habits. I like grazing and have a very sweet tooth so the bypass will apparently suit me better.

My surgeon said I could still choose but I have researched both options and am happy to go with the bypass and take my surgeons advice. :D

Good luck with your research and decision :)

that sounds like its what i need aswell, i just want to be sure and be as knowledgeable as possible on the op before and after....providing im approved funding that is!
im already over half way through the weight management course then seminar next week so no sure when i will know when and if ive been approved....any ideas anyone?

I had the sleeve and I love it!!! I wouldn't have a different surgery if I had to do it over! When I compare the sleeve to the other surgeries that my friends have had I am so glad I choose the sleeve!

I had the sleeve and I love it!!! I wouldn't have a different surgery if I had to do it over! When I compare the sleeve to the other surgeries that my friends have had I am so glad I choose the sleeve!

what made u go with the sleeve then?
i must add my food weaknesses are ..cheese... gravy... curry.... rice....(not all together mind lol)
what impact does this have on the choice i should be making or looking into in more depth

I could eat for England and had an awful sweet tooth. My surgeon recommended a bypass and after listening to his explanation i happily accepted his much greater knowledge of these things....

I am one of the lucky (or unlucky as i think) bypassers who does not dump so i can still eat sweet things, however i don't have the intense craving for it like i did pre op... Some people go of sweet things altogether, and your tastes definitely change...

I personally am glad i did not go for the band as it takes an intense amount of willpower, something i don't think i had. However i am now almost 12 months out of surgery and am 65lb down, 6 of which i attribute to going to weight watchers for the last 5 weeks. I am having to make really good choices now but i still have treats, i am having to use the will power a band would need however not as much i think...

It really is about you using this site, which is the best on the net, and asking all the questions, stupid or not, that you can think off....

Good luck with your journey xxx

i feel i know nothing but i read alot of posts in an attempt to try make some kind of understanding on the op id be best suited to before i see a member of the surgeons team so i can go in for the kill with my "pitch" so to speak in order to help me be awarded the funding for the op!

I was told by my surgeon that he thinks the sleeve will become the future of wls ....

how come you are having the bypass then? are you just more suited to it but in time sleeves will be the main source offered?

i see you have op in may is it soon or have you just had it? good luck either way!

I like the sleeve 1st off b/c they remove part of your stomach but they don't reroute it. So my body still absorbs the nutrition like it is suppose to. I was also told that the part of the stomach they remove is th part that craves sweets. Which so far in 5 months I have had NO desire for sweets. I also like the fact that I don't have the dumping. When I am full I can not eat anymore. I just have to stop! I hate throwing up so I like the fact that I don't do that. I have lost weight really fast and do have some pain though in my hips and my back. But I also have a 4yr old and a 1yr old that I am chasing after all day. So I really don't get like that till night time. But I have heard that is just from losing so much weight so fast. My joints and muscles are not catching up as fast as I am losing the weight. As far as what I can eat honestly I can eat almost anything. It is the amount that the sleeve has helped me with. Now I can't eat fast food or fried things they make me not feel very good. But I can eat cheese. My weakness was chips and queso. I can have about 3 chips with queso on them now. (which I have done about 4 times in 5 months) The biggest thing is the drinking while I eat! I really miss that and at first it was hard for me to find a balance and make sure that I was drinking enough water. Oh and I love the sleeve b/c I am NEVER hungry! I don't even get the hunger pains anymore.

this info is exactly what im looking for 2 help me plan what would suit me best....i know the surgeon will advise me aswell if i get that far but im terrible for planning and being organised so i know whats happening.
i know the bypass is for life but the sleeve isnt permanant and may need a 2nd procedure? pretty clueless as ive said in a previous post and google is baffling me with so many things so im asking real people with real stories

the sleeve can be a procedure in itself. Originally, it was the 1st part of a 2 part operation (duodenal switch) but some people who had just the sleeve part, lost weight very well so it became a stand alone surgery. Also the sleeve is permanent! But would you want it reveresed? If youre anything like me, id honestly say if it was reversable, id eat everything in sight!

The sleeve doesnt stop cravings of sweets and stuff for me. But im trying very hard post op to avoid those surgary drugs! I have dabbled occasionally with a few squares of chocolate though :d'oh: I do still get a type of 'hunger' - my stomach feels kind of hollow (best way i can describe it!) then i know its time to eat. Usually happens around lunch and dinner time x

i think i like the idea of something that seems 2 prevent cravings of naughty things yet am a bit wary of this dumping business.....but a guess u really cant have it all and there is always going to be some kind of negative within a bunch of positives...just need to work out which ones are worth it lol.....im kinda still swayed to the bypass!

the real benefit of the bypass is the rapid weight loss and the dumping! If youre sick everytime you eat chocolate, youre not going to want to do it again! Although you need to know, there are a few out there who dont dump x

yeh i guess when you put it that way its actually a bonus lol.
does this apply just 4 choc or is it 4 all fatty foods?

Hi when they do the sleeve they take out the part of the stomach that produces the hunger pangs (don't no posh name for it) i had the band fitted 1st and that didn't work so when i went for my bypass they found to much scare tissue so all they could do was the sleeve. i'm growing to love my new stomach. if i could do it again i would have missed the band out and gone for the bypass.

and are you happy with the sleeve and the effects its had after if any?

im still getting use to it. but yes almost 2stone off and i'm 4 weeks today from my opp. i really can't eat much before im full, if i eat to much i'm sick. i eat 6 times a day but really small amounts.

Hi Wencho

Yes I was down for the bypass but not going ahead for now. (long story but posts are on here).

When I started looking into it and when to the first class, there was no mention of the sleeve, so I dont know much about it. I hadnt even heard of it until recently.

My problem is sweet things. I originally asked for the band but was told a bypass would be better. To be honest I think now they are moving away from the bands. Thats what I was told by the surgeon at SRH anyway. They are too easy to bypass with bad foods.

Main differences as far as I can see is that with bypass you MAY dump (but no gaurantee on which foods will cause it - could be sweet things / could be bread / pasta). You lose the duodenum (or part of it), so don't digest things properly.

The sleeve is a bit less invasive. All the digestion parts are left intact, so there is no risk of malnutrition, but half of the stomach (sideways on) is removed to leave more of a tube shaped stomach (hence the name "sleeve").

Back