• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

operation

BugsBunny

I am just curious how people decided which operation to have. I am going to see my doctor about weight loss surgery and I am unsure of which procedure to undergo. Rob

Rob
I took a lot of advice from my GP and did a lot of research on the web and of course from this web site.
I had the sleeve but have been told if I dont loose enough I can have the bypass but I want the sleeve to work for me. Keep in touch on here, there is always someone who has had a similar feeling or problem to what ever so go ahead and talk to us
All the best on what you decide

Well I would of preferred to have the Band because it is less invasive, but I know with my eating habits I would sabotage it.

I can always lose weight but seem to have this built in switch that tells me to sabotage. Also as I am paying, these are the only funds I have and if the band didnt work that would be it.

Also reading on here there is so many success stories with the by pass, although I dont think it is a walk in the park.

I was told what i could have.
I originally requested a band but because of my original size and a strong addiction to chocolate it was decided i should have a bypass. xx

I wasnt given the choice and was told directly by my surgeon that i would be having the bypass, if id had a choice i think i would have chose the bypass anyway xxx

I'd already decided that I wanted a Bypass because of my eating habits.

When I went to see the surgeon he asked me what op I wanted and why, then agreed with me that the Bypass would be the best option.

I wasnt given the choice and was told directly by my surgeon that i would be having the bypass, if id had a choice i think i would have chose the bypass anyway xxx

Same here.

When i was referred i was referred for the band & to be honest i didn't really know about anything else, however i was told a little about the bypass & after looking more into it, i decided that would be better for me as i have a really sweet tooth!
I also have about 12stone to lose so i do feel the bypass is the way to go. It is very confusing at first but i'm sure your get help along the way, but research on the internet is the way forward, good luck :D

I started out on my journey wanting a gastric band as I didn't like the idea of having major surgery. Although once I'd discussed my history and relationship with food, my surgeon told me I would need a gastric bypass.

I wasn't too happy a first as it was quite a scary prospect but I talked to lots of people on here who'd undergone the bypass, and also did lots of my own research. I soon realised it was the right decision after all, and have never looked back. I think I'd have regretted having a band and would most likely have cheated with it.

My surgery is next week and I can't wait! :D

I like quite a few people originally wanted the band mainly because i was so scared of the bypass. However the more i chatted to post bypass peeps and my surgeon and the more i researhed i realised my eating habits were more suited to the bypass. Although i was scared i have never looked back and have sailed through both the surgery and the journey so far and i'm so grateful for that x

ive had 2 bands both have ended up leaking so now im awaiting a bypass, the band suited my eating habbits when it worked correctly and i did lose 8st with it,but its high maintanance keeping the fill levels and restriction at the correct point to maintain, my surgeon wants me to have a sleeve next but i want a bypass hes agreed to bypass me.

I started out on my journey wanting a gastric band as I didn't like the idea of having major surgery. Although once I'd discussed my history and relationship with food, my surgeon told me I would need a gastric bypass.

I wasn't too happy a first as it was quite a scary prospect but I talked to lots of people on here who'd undergone the bypass, and also did lots of my own research. I soon realised it was the right decision after all, and have never looked back. I think I'd have regretted having a band and would most likely have cheated with it.

My surgery is next week and I can't wait! :D

same here

in my heart i always knew i wanted a bypass but didnt want to admit it - everyone kept throwing words at me like serious op, huge changes , death rate. but the word i kept thinking of was failure i was scared that if i had the band i would push it to the extreme and fail . it was a relief when my surgeon just laughed at the idea of having a band and told me i was 100% a bypass girl - decision taken out of my hands and sorted.

just now need the time to fly so i can get my op date

Whereabouts in kent are you from?

Welcome to Kent Rob! what hospital are you under? Poor Hull i was gutted they went down they've got such great supporters.

Welcome to Kent Rob! what hospital are you under? Poor Hull i was gutted they went down they've got such great supporters.

At the moment I do not know as I am new to this area and only just joined a g.p. practise. so when I go to the doctors I will find out. This is all new to me, thank you for the warm welcome.Rob

I was offered the band but I did not want that as it is high maintainance with all the fills and defills and I had read about slippage and erosion so was well put off. I asked if I could have the bypass instead and the surgeon agreed. I have found though that he bypassed less of my bowel than he normally would due to me having ulcerative colitis.

My surgeon now offers the sleeve to lower bmi patients as they get the same results as the band without all the problems.

At the moment I do not know as I am new to this area and only just joined a g.p. practise. so when I go to the doctors I will find out. This is all new to me, thank you for the warm welcome.Rob

Hope you get the go ahead when you see your GP, any questions or help dont hesitate to ask xxx

Back