• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OT Taller! How did that happen????

Boblatina

I have always told people (who asked) that I was 5ft 5 - or if I was trying to big myself up, 5 foot 6 :D

2 years ago I moved Doctors and when I was measured at my assessment appointment, the nurse was adamant that I was 5 foot 4 :cry:I was very upset because I thought that it was a symptom of my back problems (eg herniated discs)

I have been bravely living with my new "short" stature for the last 2 years and when asked I have been saying that I am 5 foot 4 - even when the nurses measured and weighed me at the hospital I have been saying 5foot 4 and they have not been contradicting me.

I have been dieting furiously over the last few weeks because I knew that my weight had gone up since my first hospital appointment and that I was very near (if not over :cry:) a BMI of 60 which was a danger signal that could jeapordise my Op - which would be a catastrophe.

I have been working very hard at it and I was really pleased to have lost more weight today - until I checked my BMI and found I was still more than 2 points OVER what I was on the 1st May. How could this be? I knew that I had put on a fair bit of weight but the figures meant that I would have put on 3 stones or more since May 1st :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

OH decided that something was wrong and decided to measure my height properly and 3 checks and 2 different pro. tape measures later he found I was 5 feet 5 1/2 tall. A small difference, but it means that my BMI is actually much less than I had been calculating, it is slightly less than it was on 1st May and I had put on about 16-17 pounds between May and September which was bad but nowhere near as bad as I had thought!!!!!!

Sorry for the long waffly thread but I am very relieved and actually really delighted :) (Actually I have calculated that if I was about 1.5 FEET rather than inches taller than I thought I wouldn't be overweight at all :D:D:D:D)

Or, of course, I just could have actually LISTENED to the nurses when they told me what my weight was :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

love from

(a Taller) TillyBob

i had been 4ft 10 for years but have grown 1 inch since surgery as my little old spine is no longer compressed due to the extra person it was carrying around. lol

I agree with HC, as you lose weight it takes the pressure off you and you spring back to the height you should be...by the time I lose weight I could be 6 ft or more....lol xxx

I was hoping to be a bit taller after my OP if I lost a lot of weight but this has only been because the practice nurse who originally measured me got it wrong!! (He's a very nice man but he isn't the most adept with equipment. I refuse to let him take blood from me because he is hopeless with both me and OH - either he can't get blood at all or, in one case, he caused a blood spurt that hit the ceiling of the surgery :eek: and the bruises!!!!! )

love

TillyBob

funny you should say that. Im 5'4 after for years thinking I was 5'5 lol :rolleyes:

Then the other day my mum said I looked taller.... ? Well she says Im carrying myself better even after only losing 3st of what I want to lose. I apparently walk better even though Ive never waddled. She seems to think theres an air about me.
Maybe thats because Ive not got a sack of spuds hung round me weighing me down I dunno. I was gobsmacked and I have to admit a little offended as though she said I was walking arrogantly, not that she did in any way lol, but I was miffed. I had visions of me previously walking like the hunchback of Notredame!:( Damn mothers lol :D

When I go for my official weigh in Ill get them to do my height too and see if Ive stretched a tad lol

When I joined the police force years back I only just scraped in at 5' 5".

Now everytime I get on the scales at boots no matter how much I try to stand tall I only ever measure 5' 3".

I've often wondered where those two inches went to, now I know..lol

Back