• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just got home from first appointment - Taunton

simplylucy

What a lovely morning I've had. A lovely drive to Taunton in the sun!

Nicky the nurse is lovely (you're right Neen). She talked me though the band and the bypass, giving me plently of chances to ask questions. She wasn't judgemental when I explained my eating habbits to her. I was totally honest and was half expecting her to be shock, but guess she hears about alsorts of diets everyday! :rolleyes: She thanked me for being open and explained how it helped to decide which surgery would be the best option.

We've decided that I'm best suited to the bypass. I'm pleased with this choice.

I've been weighed and measured. My BMI was a little less than I thought, I've spent my whole adult life believing I was 5ft 2 but she said I'm only a fraction under 5ft 3 (Oh I love Nicky she makes me taller!)

My BMI is currently 46.6 and I'm 8st 9lb over weight.

I need to meet the consultant next to ensure he's happy with everything, I was asked which consultant and I said I didn't mind, I hope they are both nice!

I'll be having my surgery at the beggining of September due to work commitments, wish I could have it sooner, I'm so exicted!

That's such good news :) I had Mr Welbourne who is quiet at first but really nice once you get to know him, I don't know Mr Mahon. All the staff are really nice down there and I'm glad you got on well and everything went smoothly with the initial appointment x
September will come soon enough and you won't have the worry of juggling work hanging over you.
Relax and clue yourself up on what to eat before , during and after you have your operation. xHugsx

Hi simplylucy!, i'm also with musgrove i was on the list for surgery (bypass) in july, however i've had to re-arrange (long story!) so i will now also be in in september, i've seen Mr Mahon he is lovely nice soft hands i found ha ha, so you never know we may be in there together, i've also got taller always thought i was 5ft 5 but i'm now 5ft 6!!
They are a lovely team at Taunton so the journey i have to make from Bude Cornwall (i don't drive!) seems well worth it, may see you around the site if not may bump into you in september, take care Em x :)

A good friend of mine went private & had her op at Nuffields that was october 08 & everytime i see her she still says how great they are!! She has just reached her goal of 11st lost forever :)
Yes its nice to find people that are at the same stage to compare notes with!
We could be 6ft time september comes lol :D

My next appointment is June/July I think..it will be two years in July since my band op. Weird to think it's been that long but hey ho...it's a longer journey with a band to get the bulk of the weight off. I wish both of you lots of luck with your bypasses and might see you at the Nuffield one day...you never know x
I think if I was about 8ft tall I would have a supermodels body :)

Ooooh I want them to make me taller too at Taunton, just think if I was 9' 10" I might be the right weight for my height lol.
I agree though about the surgeons, have met Mr Welbourne, but not Mr Mahon, and they have a new one just started at Musgrove who my friend met a couple of weeks ago, and said he is very nice too (didn't ask about the soft hands though Em lol).
So glad there are a few of us on here, maybe we can arrange a meet up sometime? xxxxx

both surgeons are lovely i was going to have Mahon but Ive just fond out it Welbourn as Mahon dont do op on a Monday lol who will be doing my op which is in under 2 weeks time : O

both surgeons are lovely i was going to have Mahon but Ive just fond out it Welbourn as Mahon dont do op on a Monday lol who will be doing my op which is in under 2 weeks time : O

Good luck for 2 weeks time Lianne.

May I just say what a beautiful family you have. I have 4 children and always get so broody for more! I had complications so can't have another one now. Big familys are the best. :D

simplylucy thanks :eek: I'm not having any more lol 7 is enough lol

Ooooo, so great to hear the low-down on what is going on in my area....and to meet all you lovely ladies who have/are going through the same thing as me!!!!
I am waiting for my first appt at Taunton...was told it was going to be 3-4 wks (from last week), but after harrassing Izzy at Treliske today, she then told me 4-6 wks (...what happened????)
So glad to hear the consultants are nice there..quite worried about meeting them...but also really confused as to the procedure from here...Jan (hi Jan!!!) had her first appointment, then a follow up (pre-op?) & is now waiting for her surgery date.....why does it take soooooooooooooo long? xxxx

angie790 give them a ring thats what i did keep on to them i had my first appoment in feb the my pre-op in april and now my op 7th june :)

Hey Lianne..pmsl laughing...you are a girl after my own heart...I DID try to ring them this afternoon after speaking to Izzy, but by the time I left work & got to a place where I could talk freely, they were closed...I think I must be being a dozy bint because I cannot find the opening hours anywhere on their website....anyway...I WILL be ringing again tomorrow! xxx

Whoopeeee, what a lovely group of us girlies here in the West of England :girlpower:
I am guessing I am the furthest West, in Penzance, and not sure who lives the furthest up? So maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle. I know Emma lives in Bude, and another couple of you girls are in Liskeard.
Would be really good to keep in contact, our own little support group (well hopefully we will be littler this time next year lol :))
I know a few of us are friends on Facebook, any others that aren't as yet, let us know your names and we can all chat together?
Hope to hear from you soon xxxxxx

I'm farthest up I think? I don't know of anyone else in my particular area but I must say it's nice to not be the only one from our end of the country at last!
I don't use FB but I use Secondlife which is like msn with an avatar that you cantake round to various places and dress up ...yah I am a big geeky nerd!!!
Anything I can help with I will try but as you all are having bypasses I'm not sure how useful my chipping in will be! I'm just glad to have company!

Back