• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pain 5 days post-op

liberty2312

Hi Everyone.
I could really do with some advice? I am 5 days post op,laprascopic roux -en-y and still need paracetamol every 4 hrs and Diclofenac suppositories every 8 hours! I really was not expecting this pain . The left side of my abdomen in particular is very sore internally.
In addition have had no nausea or dumping and foolishly worried that my surgery has not 'worked'. I know this is silly but I have wanted this for a long time and really want it to be successful
Any advice offered will be gratefully received .:eek:

hi Liberty i had pain killers for quite a while after too and had terrible muscle damage on my right side :( i thought the same as you i'd be up and around no problems etc but listen to your body if it needs them use them i had to go for emergency morphine one night about 10 days after surgery ,, take it easy and don't push yourself , it's easy to read on here people saying how fantastic they've felt and good luck to them but we're not all the same :) take care (and the pills)

Hi,
I took baby Calpol during the daytime and at nightime the medicine the hospital discharged me with.
I was sore and tender for a while afterwards,trying to get comfy at night was the hardest as it was about a fortnight after op it was getting a little easier.
Be pleased you havent experienced dumping yet as it's horrible...I did suffer with lots of sickness and had to take regular meds,I wouldn't wish the sickness on anyone!
Take care your doing fine x

Me too ... I was one of the ones who had bad pain in my left, biggest wound which didn't ease for about 10days only getting better when my staples were removed :wave_cry: just take the painkillers for as long as you need them & it will get better, honey. Rest & you will soon get there :) xxx

I was taking paracetamol and nurofen for 4 weeks due to the pain on my left side. I was trying to do things round the house and as it was christmas i went out to the sales. Big mistake, wish i had just sat and done nothing as i would have healed a lot quicker.
Keep on taking the pain relief for as long as needed, you will know when you dont need it any more.
Hope you have a speedy recovery
Kim

Aww Hun , it's horrible when your in pain xx

I found my staples hurt very much and my main wound on the left only healed last week!! Was having to go to the DN every week to have it packed and dressed! Still get twinges but nowhere near as bad as what they were!
The internal wounds take longer to heal so rest up - and if you need painkillers then take them xx I had calpol and codeine phosphate when was discharged and still take the calpol now x

liberty2312 said:
Hi Everyone.
I could really do with some advice? I am 5 days post op,laprascopic roux -en-y and still need paracetamol every 4 hrs and Diclofenac suppositories every 8 hours! I really was not expecting this pain . The left side of my abdomen in particular is very sore internally.
In addition have had no nausea or dumping and foolishly worried that my surgery has not 'worked'. I know this is silly but I have wanted this for a long time and really want it to be successful
Any advice offered will be gratefully received .:eek:

Five days is no time at all, not even a week! It's perfectly normal to need pain relief, as for the bypass working that will take a few months before you can feel the full affects - once you're actually eating proper food. Just rest and keep drinking it'll soon be better.

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi liberty I was exactly the same as you with the pain. I will be 4 week tomorrow and my left side is still swollen and very tender. I thought it would be easier too but it does get easier the more you rest.
Xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi liberty
I know exactly how you feel Hun. I'm one week post op today and still in an awful lot of pain. Particular left and central where my biggest wound is. ( doesn't help that my 3yr old niece jumped on my yday)
I had to see district nurse this morning to restitch and dress my wounds.
I'm taking tramadol because the parecetemol the hospital gave me just hasn't touched the pain
It's very early days yet for both of us so try not to get worried about it not working, we bare the evidence that it has been done and I'm sure we will both reap the rewards very soon. .... Baby steps....
Best wishes
Lesley x

The hospital sent me home with Tramadol and paracetamol and told me to take it regularly to keep the pain at bay. I did as I was told and it worked very well. However, I couldn't sleep lying down for three weeks. I still have soreness either side of my wound (open surgery) and have persistent pain under my left rib cage. I wake up with my hand on it so it must hurt in my sleep lol. It's not terrible pain , just an annoying sore discomfort. As I'm nearly 7 months post op it just goes to show that we all heal at different rates.

I hope your starting to feel better! Keep taking your medication, my hospital did not send me home with any meds - just told me to take panadol if I needed it and boy did I need it! I'm 12 days into my band and the pain is hardly there at all so hang in there!

I'm glad I found this thread as I'm only 2 days out and was convinced I shouldn't be in pain anymore. Am still in hospital so bring on the tramodol.

I hun, as everyone else has said evryone is different but the pain is quite normal. Im 9 days out today and am still in pain not too badly, well until I try to do something & boy does my body shout at me STOP!!! But im hoping the pain at my sites will ease slightly tomorrow as Im having the staples removed. But as you have said the worst pains I get are on my left side. Did you have a drain at all? I did and wonder if that is the reason for a lot of the pain on the left side, as it was quite a large tube. But just keep taking all the meds they give you and rest as much as you can. Take care.xxxx

Thank you so sooooo much girls. I have had a terribble 2days ! I can't stop thinking that this surgery may not have been successful for me . I know this is unrealistic, but it is hard to believe that I may finally be able to loose weight after trying for 30 years!!!!!
your kind responses have given me such comfort, I cannot thank u all enough.

Thank you so sooooo much girls. I have had a terribble 2days ! I can't stop thinking that this surgery may not have been successful for me . I know this is unrealistic, but it is hard to believe that I may finally be able to loose weight after trying for 30 years!!!!!
your kind responses have given me such comfort, I cannot thank u all enough.

Well prepare to be amazed!! :D
I too didn't think it would ever be possible to ever ever ever lose weight Liberty.
Every diet I tried failed miserably and here I am - 10 weeks post op and under 20 stone!!!!
19 stone 12 lbs to be exact, :D Now not been at this weight for 10 years!!
Hold on Liberty - your about to start a very exciting journey :eek::D:eek:

it's true Liberty i'm 14st 8 now and started at 22 st 4 when i was so fed up and miserable i almost decided i couldn't live any longer like it,, i was turned down twice but kept going fo the sake of my family and my health so i'm 11 weeks post op now and was best decision i have ever made :) you will be so happy in just a matter of weeks it's unbelievable xx

it's true Liberty i'm 14st 8 now and started at 22 st 4 when i was so fed up and miserable i almost decided i couldn't live any longer like it,, i was turned down twice but kept going fo the sake of my family and my health so i'm 11 weeks post op now and was best decision i have ever made :) you will be so happy in just a matter of weeks it's unbelievable xx

Well Done Angie :talk017:

Back