• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pain and Vomitting

Katastrophe

Love My Bypass !
Not sure whether i'm doing something wrong or not but everytime i have more textured food i get a lot of pain and end up being sick.

Today i had:

Breakfast : Protein Shake - mostly went down ok
Lunch: 2 very thin crackers with humous - went down ok.
A mini milk which was fine.
Dinner: Tried some lasagne which just came back up. I must have had a tablespoon at most, chewed well but it just sat in my pouch for over an hour.

This has happened each time i've tried anything more textured. I'm 6 weeks post op and supposedly should be able to cope with this type of food.

I'm really trying to up my protein but the only things i seem to be able to manage is either pureed food or yoghurts.

I've spoken to the dietician and they told me to see how i go as i have an appt with the surgeon in June and they havent got any before then, she spoke to the surgeon who said it's a bit early to be thinking it might be a stricture..

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated?

Thanks xx

It could be the pasta in the lasagne. Have you tried more solid proteins, like chicken, pork, turkey etc.?

I personally don't eat pasta any more, but that's through choice as it's one of my downfalls.

But I eat plenty of lean meat protein. I still sometimes struggle with eggs - omlettes I'm fine with but scrambled and hard boiled seem to cause me trouble sometimes. I find prawns & all seafood really easy to cope with.

At six weeks out it's still going to be a bit hit and miss with you. I'm sure others will say that each day is different. What you can eat today your pouche won't like tomorrow or you could eat something for ages and one day your pouche will chuck it out!

Try pasta again in a week or so and see how you get on with it then.

good luck x
With lunch & dinner I have lots of veg / salad and have the odd slice of toasted seeded bread every now and again.

Thanks Gail, although have to say i ate around the pasta and mostly ate the sauce and meat.

I tried a slice of deli chicken the other day with some light cheese spread and that stuck until the following day in the afternoon when i threw it up :confused:

It really shouldn't be in there that long! Have you tried having gravy & sauces with stuff, perhaps it just needs a bit of lubrication to get it going?

Sorry if I'm not much help, the only time I've been sick is when I've not chewed things properly. So far, other than eggs I've not really had any problems food wise.

I don't think the dietician is right saying it's too early for a stricture. Didn't Jaxx's on here have one fairly early on? Perhaps you should push them for a quicker appointment.

It really shouldn't be in there that long! Have you tried having gravy & sauces with stuff, perhaps it just needs a bit of lubrication to get it going?

Sorry if I'm not much help, the only time I've been sick is when I've not chewed things properly. So far, other than eggs I've not really had any problems food wise.

I don't think the dietician is right saying it's too early for a stricture. Didn't Jaxx's on here have one fairly early on? Perhaps you should push them for a quicker appointment.

I told them that i had read that strictures usually occured around 6 weeks.

It just doesnt seem right to me.

It is a devil to find out what goes down and when. I found that I needed loads of liquid with it sauce or gravy for absolutely ages and that it changed day to day. Didn't like pasta but many people have problems with that and rice until 4-6 months. I found fish was the devil to get down until 6 minths and chicken but suddenly you find it does. Its this stage that really can be trying as its all hit and miss and different form person to person. Hope you can find a way through

M

As CCPM says its very much a hit and a miss at the 6 week stage, i too wasn't managing much at that point. I actually did quite well on fish in sauce and i shreaded chicken very finely and mixed it with gravy, mash and veg. It took me a while to feel confident in trying things but i was so lucky that at 8 months out i have never been sick! It really is trial and error but try and eat little and often as i found that helps! You are still in the early stages of recovery so hopefully things will settle down. If it continues though get back to your team they are definatly the best people to help! Good luck i hope you get sorted soon xx

I was on mushies until this weekend (I was told to stay on them until I was 12 weeks). Today I managed half a ryvita with my cottage cheese - which was fantastic, I didn't realise how much I'd missed having a crunch on something. I also had some vegetables that weren't total mush tonight - also fantastic.

I don't think I could manage pasta at present. Maybe you should dial back just a little bit and stick to softer foods for a few days. If you find that they are still getting stuck, I'd definitely try to get seen at the hospital. xx

I have days where I'm like that too Kat. Was sick a lot at your stage but now a few more weeks on and not so bad. My dietician said it could be like this for up to 6 months and on the bad days just stick to things like yoghurt as I can always eat those.

Hope it settles soon lovely x

Thanks girls, i've decided i'm just going to stick to what i know my pouch likes for the next couple of weeks. According to the hospital i should have been on textured for 2 weeks and starting solids now but i really am not ready x

I was told that if you're vomiting and having pain then to go back one stage for a week and see if you can cope with that. As I'd done that when I was vomiting they realised that I had a stricture and I had a stretch at around 6 weeks and I was told by my surgeon that it's usually around the 6 weeks that you'll see problems if you are going to develop a stricture. I too tried a lasagne and threw it up after just a very small, well chewed mouthful. Try soups again for a bit and if that doesn't work contact your team and tell them this. In the end I couldn't even manage yoghurt. But I ended up having two stretches.

I am 12 weeks post op and find like you I cant eat certain foods. For example red meat, (inclucing pureed up mince), ryvitas, smoked salmon, and I have to be very careful of fruit. I can eat cheese which I love. Other bizarre things are I can eat pitta bread but not ryvita! I cant eat baked beans but can cope with a spoonful of tinned spagetti.However this is just the way of my pouch at the moment. My surgeon also spoke about a stricture and offered and endoscopy to investigate. However I am allowing things to settle for a while longer first.
One thing I have found is that if I have a warm drink it seems to ease the full, painful feeling. I also have found I need a warm drink first thing in the morning. This has seemed to allow me to eat food an hour later. Trial and error!

Back