• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pain, can anyone help?

mariew

I am 8 weeks post op from a bypass. Up till yesterday have had NO problems or pain. Was given the all ok on tuesday. Last night, I bent over to put the dogs water bowl down and it felt like I trapped something outside my ribs, it was agony, was still painful half an hour later. Then I bent over to put my shoes on and it happened again, then when I sat on the loo it happened again. When I looked in the mirror it was the in exactly the same place as the keyhole scar on the right side over your liver.It is still tender and feels like a small lump about the size of a large grape.. Any ideas?? Now I am pressing the area with my hand before I bend down.

i hope you feel better soon Marie xx phone the team better safe than sorry :) mind you i never phone them either

Hi
Theres a big muscle that runs vertically down the middle and your 6 pack is joined to this (lol 6 pack) you could have quite easily pulled this muscle or one of your 6 pack muscles. I say this because week 2 i could not bend over, reach round or put my trousers on , and only got a bit of relief if i held my stomach. Doctor said i had pulled my middle stomach muscle and to remember im not healed fully until 3 months. I done bugger all for 3 days and let it heal, it was heaps better for not doing anything. Youve got to rest!!
Kim

Thanks everyone, I have emailed the bariatric nurse but she is out of office until Tuesday. I am reluctant to go to my gp as she doesn't really know a lot about the surgery, she wouldn't even look at a hernia I have called an upper gastric hernia caused by pregnancy, she said let the surgeon look at it!
The hospital where I had it done is 45 miles away too, not like I can pop into A&E.
It's definately not a pulled muscle, I think I will just ring the ward on Monday.

well try to take things easier over the weekend then it doesn't get worse :) i hope it gets better soon for you x

Thanks Angie, I am not planning gto do anything until this sorts itself out. Had me quite worried and I'm not a worrywort!

i sometimes think it's because we don't really know exactly what has happened to our insides and who knows what damage has been done to other bits we can't see xx take care

Marie, this definately sounds like a hernia. This will require a trip to your gp unfortunately as will need referring to the right surgeon etc. Good luck x

Like someone else said it could be a small hernia, is the lump still there when you lay down? hopefully the lump is just scar tissue under the skin. 2 out of the 5 of my incision sites feel hard and round when i press them.
Hope you feel better and take it easy.
Kim

Like someone else said it could be a small hernia, is the lump still there when you lay down? hopefully the lump is just scar tissue under the skin. 2 out of the 5 of my incision sites feel hard and round when i press them.
Hope you feel better and take it easy.
Kim

It's not a lump that sticks out, and it's not the sort of lumpiness that scar tissue feels like, it's about a centimeter under the skin. I am also ready to think this is a small incision hernia. x

do you still have the upper gastric hernia, which i assume doesnt cause you any pain. Could that be anything to do with it
Kim

Hun im with everyone else and thing you have a small hernia... you can go to your GP xxx hope your better soon xx

Didn't have stitches in that scar, just glue. I will look up incisional hernia. The surgeon says my existing hernia is ok as I get no pain from it.
Not done a thing all day today except clean the bathroom and wash up! Lazy old day!

Hope u feel better soon hun and they find out what it is take it easy until u find out xx

Back