• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pain in pouch

smilergem

On my wl journey at last
Hiya everyone
Just hoping someone can help me, have just tried to ring my team at the hospital, one of the dieticians is on holiday, the other out of the office :sigh:
Anyway, last night for tea I had some mashed potato, with veg and gravy, I mashed it down, but didn't puree it (am 3 weeks today from having op). I had a lot of pain afterwards, as if something had 'stuck'. I sipped a cup of tea later to try and ease it, which it seemed to. However, this morning I have woken and am still in pain, the heavy sensation in the chest. Does this mean that maybe I have irritated my pouch?
I am thinking that I should perhaps stay on liquids today, would that be a good idea?
I really hope someone can help, as am afraid I may have caused permanent damage to my little new tum.
Thanks everyone :):)

o nooo jan hopefully by now you could have spoke to your team, as you prob know im pre to, hmmm i see people writing about it alot, maybe sip warm boiled water all day and see if that helps dis lodge it hope your comfertable soon x

Hope you have spoken to your team by now, but I do get this type of pain after some foods that I have tolerated well before. I would stick to purree or liquid until you feel better, but doubt you have done any permenant damage to your stomach, maybe just irritated it and it now needs to rest !! You will still be swollen and the therefore more restricted.

Hope this helps alittle!!

Take care

Hi Jan - sorry to hear you're having some pain, I hope it's easing now ? Sounds like what you ate wasn't quite smooth enough to be comfortable for your new tum which is probably still very tender. As others have said, I'd advise you to stick to liquids today and let it rest awhile. I very much doubt you've done any damage by the way. Take care... xx

Hey Jan, u know i can't help :sigh: but sending u lots of love & hope you have got hold of someone at Taunton by now xx

Jan i think you've just irritated it i don't think you could have damaged it too much. I had mash n gravy a week post op, just mashed with a fork and i was okay. If i was you i'd stick with liquids and fluids until the discomfort has passed... Maybe when you try mash again just have a tbsp at first and see how that rests for you :)

If your discomfort continues after today please try and speak to your team again, just for peace of mind xx

It is suprising how much pain food can give us in the early days. I tried a little bite of a tinned hot dog sausage in the first six weeks, I chewed it to death but it just felt wrong. Within a day I ended up in A&E in agony, the pain through my left hand side was unbearable, I was crying out and couldnt explain what was causing it. Annnnnnyway, they checked me over and then sent me for an x-ray. I was sat waiting for the x-ray and I felt a strange feeling, as though something had moved and then every bit of pain went away, I had the x-ray anyway (cos hubby told me to) and then went back to the doctor and nurse in my cubicle and told them that, embarrassingly, the pain had completely gone and that I was reallllllllllly sorry to have wasted their time. When I thought about it later on I realised that it must have been that tiny bit of food struggling to go through my new system. So whilst its not the same because yours wasnt such a solid meal, it could be the same kind of situation. Maybe just something about that food upset your new innards and now they are just irritated. My advice is to just go easy for a day and then if it is sore or no better then contact your team for further advice.
Steph xx

Sorry Jan, no advice but how is it now lovey?

I hope you're feeling better. please let us know. I've been told to have a liquid diet for 4 weeks post-op.

XXX

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your comments :)
I was still in pain up until lunchtime, then had a small bit of porridge, which seemed to go down ok.
Had a yoghurt for lunch, and then tonight have had half a w/w fish pie, but made sure I blitzed it so it was very runny.
Still feeling slightly sore, but not as bad as last night, so hopefully by tomorrow should be ok again.
Thanks for your help xxxxxxx;);)

Back