• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pain in the left side

sarah x

Hello so this Saturday will be the fourth week of having my sleeve op, I have a terrible pain in my left side almost like a stitch pain, or pulled muscle has any one else experienced this ?

lulunics

last weekend when I was just over 3 weeks post op I had exactly that it was awful I struggles to walk it was agony and I think I also over did it as after a couple of days rest I was fine again...I think its our bodies telling us to relax more after all we have had major surgery

sarah x

last weekend when I was just over 3 weeks post op I had exactly that it was awful I struggles to walk it was agony and I think I also over did it as after a couple of days rest I was fine again...I think its our bodies telling us to relax more after all we have had major surgery
totally agree I'd been out shopping Friday Saturday and Sunday to much to soon I suppose, I had my op 5th of October looking forward to the mushed stage now :)

Salliebeth

Hi lulu ices, just wondered where u had your surgery and by whom - I'm having a sleeve on nov 25th at LRI with mr sutton. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks x

lulunics

Yep I had mine at LRI with Mr Sutton he was fantastic I requested him as I knew a lot of people that had had him, he did a great job of my sleeve I haven't had any issues at all. I haven't seen Mr Sutton since before the op as I was already put under when he arrived in theatre and I didn't see him after ether lol.....my only advice would be stick to the pre-op diet as if he gets in and your liver isn't favourable he wont do it :-/ I will admit to you that my care on Kinmonth unit wasn't great, I was left without fluids for 9 hours on my first night and I felt very ill and I was ignored ( they are very busy and don't have enough staff and at night they have 1 doctor for 3/4 wards) I was fine in a few days I just felt poorly straight after and was very anxious but its all good now and I would do it again in a heart beat. Do you want to no anything else? x x

Salliebeth

Hi lulunics, thanks for all that info!!! I haven't met Mr sutton yet, have always met Mr Williams and he was lovely - I thought he would be doing the surgery but when I went to pre -op on Monday I was told it would be Mr Sutton, glad he is ok!!!! As for the pre op diet I was all ready to start on milk ect but I am allowed to eat 'normal' food as long as i have no more than 1000 calories a day and obviously everything low fat. Which I am sticking to religiously!!!!! I don't want it to be cancelled!!! Was this the pre-op diet u followed???? I even spoke to the dietician on Thursday and she said I am doing well and to carry on, I did mention the milk pre-op diet but she said due to u having to have it afterwards this way you don't get so fed up with it - hopefully!!!! Thanks for your help x

lulunics

Hi lulunics, thanks for all that info!!! I haven't met Mr sutton yet, have always met Mr Williams and he was lovely - I thought he would be doing the surgery but when I went to pre -op on Monday I was told it would be Mr Sutton, glad he is ok!!!! As for the pre op diet I was all ready to start on milk ect but I am allowed to eat 'normal' food as long as i have no more than 1000 calories a day and obviously everything low fat. Which I am sticking to religiously!!!!! I don't want it to be cancelled!!! Was this the pre-op diet u followed???? I even spoke to the dietician on Thursday and she said I am doing well and to carry on, I did mention the milk pre-op diet but she said due to u having to have it afterwards this way you don't get so fed up with it - hopefully!!!! Thanks for your help x

Yes I did the 1000 cals a day diet for 4 weeks and was told the same as you about the milk. Pre-op I loved milk and now I don't really like it and I was only able to do the shakes post op for 3 weeks as they turned my stomach so just be prepared for that. Mr Sutton is a nice man he also works for Spire in Oadby you can look at there website and read about him on there.
Are you excited for your new life?

Salliebeth

Hi lulunic, I am so glad to hear you did the same pre-op diet, it seems from reading on here no-one else does it and I was beginning to get worried! I did google Mr sutton and read about him, I do feel luck to be getting this done on the NHS as so many people on here have been refused funding. Hope all is going well for you. I am really excited to start my new life - I can't quite believe that one day I won't be as big as I am now!!! I have always been big - and have never lost a significant amount of weight, so I don't even have a variety of different sized clothes in my wardrobe- but what a fantastic excuse to go shopping!!! Xxx ps. Does wifi work in LRI, I really would like to take my ipad in to help pass the time!!! Xx

lulunics

yeh i felt very blessed as well to have had it on the NHS...yes wifi works in LRI so you will be fine, I couldn't concentrate on anything when I was there I had tele, mags and my phone and didn't do much at all apart from feel sorry for myself lol...I was out of bed and walking the wards a lot as I was assured walking would help with healing. I would take pjs and not nighties as well cus you will have a drain till you go home and and its easier to clip to the trousers. I also had metal external stitches and had to go to my docs to have them out after 7 days and it was fine, I didn't even feel it so don't worry about that and having the drain out is fine as well I didn't feel that ether. if you struggle to sleep ask for ear plugs they were my life saver as its a very noisy ward and they come in your room a lot to do your stats. I had a lot of friends and family wanting to come see me but I didn't want it so I just let my sisters and hubby as I was not in anyway wanted to sit in chat I was very tired.
How long have you been on pre-op? I lost over a stone on mine as I was over 27 stone and im now 23 stone 10lb

Oh yeh you also get your own room which is good x

Salliebeth

Hi lulu mic, I posted earlier but not sure where it went??!!!!! Your weight loss is FANTASTIC!! Well done!!!
glad the wifi works are the LRI - hopefully I will be able to keep in contact with people more easily. I know hubby and children 8 & 5 years old want to visit -I was advised not to let the kids visit until at least the second day. I think mum and dad will want to visit as well, and hopefully some family and close friends. I love a chit chat and when I was in hospital in 2011 I really looked forward to visiting time!!!
I hate pjs but I can understand why they will be better!! I am terrified of having the drain removed - had a bad experience after my c-section, the midwife just kept teasing the tube, she tried at least 3 times to remove it - in the end I told her just to pull it out!!! (I am a nurse and know how to take drains out) I expressed my concerns at pre-op but she said to tell them - don't worry i will!!! Hehehe.
I usually sleep really well, I know hospitals are noisy places, and it's not like sleeping in your own bed!! When I was in hospital in 2011 the worst thing was someone waking me up at 06.00am to ask if I wanted a cuppa!!! I had not had a good nights sleep and had just nodded off!!!
I started my pre-op diet last Monday, and don't think I have lost anything significant, I have weighed myself, but not sure the scales are 100% accurate!!! Each time I stand on it it reads a different number!!! Maybe I should of purchased the more expensive ones!!
Thanks so much for answering all my questions - sorry for asking so many but u r a fantastic help and inspiration!!! Thanks xxx

lulunics

Its a pleasure I was lucky when had mine a friend had had her sleeve with Mr Sutton last December so I asked lots of questions :) she unfortunately had major complications but is fine now and is at her target weight. feel free to ask me anything x x

Salliebeth

Just thought I'd let u know lulunics, had a phone call today, my op on the 25th nov has been cancelled:-(. Just when I was half way through the pre op diet!!!! It has been rescheduled for 3rd jan 2014! So can even have Christmas dinner as I will have to start my pre op on 20th dec!!!! Chin up!!! Nothing I have ever done is easy!!! Mum always says my brother could fall in a pile of poop and come up smelling of roses!!!! Not me!
Hope all is going well with you??? Xx

lulunics

Oh no that's terrible did they give you a reason? I had my changed as well thinking about it I was supposed to have it on the 20th September and they changed it till 2nd October but I hadn't started my pre-op. I do know that its really common for them to change dates it really messes with our heads though but just think getting in done in the new year it will be a fresh start. Its **** that you cant have xmas dinner but if it helps I wont be having much ether maybe a slice of turkey and some veg and you will be able to have that as well in your 1000 cals.
I hope your ok its so disappointing when they mess you about but that's the NHS for us x x

Salliebeth

Thanks lulunics, they said they have had to cancel all ops in that theatre for the day as they have got a cancer case in that needs a full day of operation - and I can totally understand, if it was someone I knew then I would want them to go for surgery first - my op can wait a few more weeks, but like you say it does mess with your head!!! But chin up, looking forward to 2014!!! Xxxx