• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Painful Hand Joints

hootch

Hi all, been a while since I posted as I am rapidly approaching my 1st year post-op.

Over the last couple of months I have started to develop very painful knuckles, I have had routine blood tests but am off for another today as my GP thinks it may be gout, which could make sense as it develops because of a build up of protein, and we do have to eat a lot of it.

Anyone else had this problem?

Nick

Well I have gout and its a build up of uric acid which they have told me is caused in part by food rich in purines (which is in a lot of protein sources!!!) and the way your body breaks down and gets rid of uric acid.

I was diagnosed before my bypass, I have been on preventative medicine since diagnosis. I have had flare ups since the op, and they have had to keep a close eye on my levels, but if it does flare up I take Naprosyn straight away and that knocks it on the head, it is absolutely painful and very disabling. Hope you get it sorted.

lyzzyanne said:
Well I have gout and its a build up of uric acid which they have told me is caused in part by food rich in purines (which is in a lot of protein sources!!!) and the way your body breaks down and gets rid of uric acid.

I was diagnosed before my bypass, I have been on preventative medicine since diagnosis. I have had flare ups since the op, and they have had to keep a close eye on my levels, but if it does flare up I take Naprosyn straight away and that knocks it on the head, it is absolutely painful and very disabling. Hope you get it sorted.

I also have developed gout .. In my feet .. And it is because of the protein. If I have too much lemon or lime drinks it dodo aggregates it.

It is kept much under control either a daily tablet!! Worse pain I have ever had !!!

Lucky the flares up are not that regular xx

Back