• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

High red cell blood count!! Worried!!

amanda577

I went for my first consultation 2 weeks ago and they ran the routine blood tests. Well when I saw my GP this morning he said that the hospital had sent him the results and that my red cell count was really high!! he said that this means that my blood is compensating for low oxygen levels, he thinks probably caused because I am a smoker! He said that having a high red cell count also increases the risk of blood clots as your blood is thicker, so he advised me to try and give up or at least cut down on the cigarettes before the operation. Just am worried that this high red cell count will make them cancel my operation due to the increased risk of clotting, and would like to know if anyone else had a high red cell count as any advice or info would be really appreciated xx

Quick update!! Thought about this high red cell count all morning and finally rang the smoking helpline, and they advised me to go to my gp and get something prescribed to help me give up. so have just got back from seeing him and he has prescribed patches and a mouth spray. Have smoked my last cigarette 20 minutes ago, and am determined to give it my all to not smoke again. He did say that it was highly unlikely that the op wouldnt go ahead, but that by carrying on smoking with a high red cell count, would definitely increase my risk of getting a blood clot, so that is enough for me!!
So wish me luck please, as I know this is going to be really hard but just so totally necessary :cry:

All the best for your endeavours, as an ex-smoker I can promise it is worth it

good luck hun you will do it x

Thanks for the support guys!! I'm wearing my patch proudly, and am nearly 3 hours without a cigarette now!! If I can get through tonight without one then hopefully it will get a little easier... I want this bypass so much, I can't risk not doing everything I can to make it happen... xx

I am now 3 years without a cigarette and had to give up before Derby would even see me. You can do it, have faith in yourself.

Emma xx

My hospital dont do operations if you smoke so i gave up the day i went to the doctors to ask to be referred. Its the best feeling in the world when you really kick the habit.
Good luck
Kim

if the patches dont work ask for the tablets Champix.

Thanks for all the support... I'm on day 2 and the patches have kicked in and not a cigarette in sight... Definitely am going to do this!!

Back