• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PALS

Paula Garner

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask anyone who has used PALS what their opinion of them is? Do people find them helpful or not? Did they support you or resolve the issues you went to them with?

I've just contacted them today to see if they can find out why it's taking do long to get a date for my op. All opinions negative or positive would be great if you want to share them :)

I used PALs when I was having my bypass and couldn't fault them.
Used Pals when my tummy tuck was cancelled (different hospitals) and they were useless.
So it depends on what your local PALs is like

i used pals for a different reason i needed inducing asap as my now hubby was based overseas my hospital refused rang pals that same day i was offered an appointment for inducement the next day!! sorry i know its not WLsurgery but had to just say lol xx

I would be interested to know who you spoke to before you went to PALS. I work in a hospital, and I wasn't aware PALS had any "powers" as such, they are just there to investigate and report back. It's possible the positive results are more to do with them jogging someone's memory to do something that should have been done in the first place. NHS hospitals are so understaffed, to err is human and people do slip through the net.

Of course, if contacting them results in a positive outcome great, but I think it's often more to do with timing.

Wobbletogo said:
I would be interested to know who you spoke to before you went to PALS. I work in a hospital, and I wasn't aware PALS had any "powers" as such, they are just there to investigate and report back. It's possible the positive results are more to do with them jogging someone's memory to do something that should have been done in the first place. NHS hospitals are so understaffed, to err is human and people do slip through the net.

Of course, if contacting them results in a positive outcome great, but I think it's often more to do with timing.

I've spoken to the consultants secretary ( im assuming it was my consultant as I have not really been told which one I'm under) She was quite rude and would only confirm that I was on the list, but my surgery was not imminent. I was quite disturbed by this, as it should have been imminent going by the waiting list time scale I was given.

My biggest concern is that when my funding was late being sent across from one pct to another, I was taken off the list. I was not informed of this until I attended a dietitian appointment which I had to re book, as it had been cancelled to avid telling me about the funding problem.

I was assured by the dietitian that when it was resolved, I would go back to my original place on the waiting list. But I don't think this has happened. I think I was placed back at the bottom of the pile. The lack of communication is appalling, and every day I'm getting more and more depressed. I should have had my op by now, going by the original waiting list time scale given to me.

Paula, I would call and ask to be put through to the waiting list office . Then ask them what your breach date is (ie the date by which you should be treated), and if it's a long time away ask them how they have come to that date. then armed with that info go back to the Consultant's secretary to enquire if they can do anything to bring it forward as the delay in PCT funding was not your fault.

The breach date is calculated on many things, ie when you were referred into the hospital by your GP, what treatment you've had, what investigations etc which is why it's best to ask the waiting list team, it's impossible yo work out for yourself. They shouldn't be funny about it, maybe ask for a "treat by date" sounds better lol

If you're not happy with the service, never be afraid to write in a complaint x

Lamornamis how did they help you with your bypass surgery? If you don't mind me asking ?

I wanted to know why people who were referred after me had jumped to getting their ops months before me (no medical reasons for it either)
when Pals got involved I was jumped a month earlier and ended up in the private hospital where my surgeon does his private work.

They just know who to talk to and which questions to ask and then can explain everything in plain English to you

My worst fears have just been confirmed. Because of the problem with my funding not being sent across, I wasn't listed till march 2012. To say I'm angry is an understatement !!!!!

Paula Lewis said:
My worst fears have just been confirmed. Because of the problem with my funding not being sent across, I wasn't listed till march 2012. To say I'm angry is an understatement !!!!!

Oh no Paula that's so unfair!! Can anything be done about it? So sorry for you, you must be gutted x x

Pals are still looking into it. But I've also spoken to the bariatric secretary. She has requested my notes so it can be investigated further. As soon as she has them we can find out what's happened and do something about it.

I'm not taking this lying down and I'm not going to be on the waiting list until then. So hopefully they will give me a date ASAP, or I will push to be treated privately at their expense.

I found and find PALS to be useless. Ive had problem after problem since Surgery and went to them for advice after I was told by my surgeon and his senior that they didnt know how to fix me and my leak. PALS were calling me back in March 2012, they havnt. When I have an appointment I still go in to see whats going on as I was used as a guineapig, left to lie in my own faeces and urine and forced to have treatment I didnt want. The nurses on the wards reaction was.. " goto PALS they dont do anything" when I goto the PALS office at the hospital, theyre always "still looking into the matter" .

I appreciate I have an entire catalogue of errors including being given the wrong medication, hospital had to order stents to try fix the problem, FORGOT to order them. 14 days after I asked whats going on, they admit they forgot to order them. I then got told I had to goto theatre in the hour or I would die as fluid had poured through leak in my stomach, eroded through my lungs and diaphragm and filled my abdomen with fluid. Id gained 38lbs in less than a week, told this was normal. However the fluid in my abdomen started rotting my internal organs turning them to mush which meant I was inoperable. The whole story is on a thread I have here called Leaking like the Titanic. Its a catalogue of everything since my surgery in February this year. PALS dont seem to care, or appear to know how to deal with it.

I understand its complex, however a call to acknowledge Im not forgotten would be nice. Whenever I go in they are always looking into things. Just wish they wouldnt try fob me off, because its not gonna work with me!

I have to say that I have attempted to get support from PALS many times over the past 6 years and they have been absolutely useless. I also know of four other people who have tried PALS for various things and they have provided no help whatsoever.

Oh ffs!!!! It gets better. They've lost my bloody notes now !!!! Really starting to get quite angry now grrrr !!

I am now losing the will to live. My notes have been located and looked at, there has been a discrepancy as to when I was listed. Here comes the best bit though, conveniently mr Ahmed is away and they can't be amended without his say so.

So after almost two weeks of stalking and being given alot if misinformation, I'm now no further along than I was then. All I'm allowed to know is there has been a discrepancy and it will be rectified.

Back