• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pay for sick note !!!

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hello
I am a member of a gym and have been for almost 2 years and i pay £30 a month (I am a full time mum of 3 kids dnt work but hubby does) so this is alot of money for us but hubby said well worth paying well anyway i was told no gym for 6 weeks only swimming (not getting a costume on me) so i emailed my doctor for them to do me a note to my gym to get 6 weeks of not having to pay, they said they would, i chased today and the secretary said it had been done and it woudl cost me a tenner !!!!
WHAT are they having a laugh. They want me to pay a tenner for a note saying I have had an operation and cant use the gym !!!
I just wondered if anyone else has had this or if you just paid your monthly fee's as normal ?
Helen
x

Im afraid that yes GP's can charge for things like this, also for signing passport applications. Mine has a list in reception what the charges are for what you ask them to do. I went back to the gym about ten days post op just to use the treadmill, I was advised no swimming until all wounds had completely healed - just shows what differing advice we are given eh!

I was told no stretching or pulling type exercise for 6 weeks and deffo no abs x

i spoke to my district nurse about swimming and she also said no swimming untill all wounds are totaly healed I am gutted as I am almost 10 weeks post op and still cant go swimming yet as my wounds are still a little raw as I had them split open on me and are only now getting better.

Fatbutnot4eva did you not think of asking your surgeon to get his secretary to do a letter saying you've had surgery and are not to exercise? If i remember rightly you paid for your surgery? Surely after all the money you've spent five minutes typing off his secretary wouldn't be out of order?

Just a thought xxx

i had to pay 30 quid for mine!! :eek: more so that i didn't have to do wheelchair work in my cab, but why would you need a sick note to tell the gym you can't exercise?? just don't go, i doubt they'll give you a discount anyway....i just stumped up my usual 20 quid a month altho i din't go for 3 weeks, when i went back, just gfentle walking on the treadmill till surgeon gave me all clear at the 6 week check up, my opinion, don't waste your money on the sick note just for the gym!!

it will be so that whatever time you miss whilst recovering from your op, they can add onto the end of your years membership so that you don't lose out on the weeks you were 'resting up'.

I used to go to the gym years ago and was ill for about 3 months, when I did return and explained I'd been ill they said had I let them know they would have put a hold on my membership.
if you pay £30 per month then I'd say it would be worth getting the sick note and you'll only lose out on a tenner and not say £50-£60 on lost membership.

I'm very lucky my gym just suspended my membership until I feel well enough to go back which I must get round to doing this week - been putting it off with all the bad weather recently.

I will get the note as it will like you say save me £50 but it is so stupid, I expleined to the gym who said with a sick note they will refund my membership money.
I already pay and miss out on goign evertime kids are off school which is one hell of alot of weeks in a year.

Thirteen weeks in total the kids are off :)

Not that i count but i used to be term time only working lol xx

Thats alot of time !!!

Eck I'm entering this debate with some trepidation but here goes. I'm a partner in a GP surgery (business partner). The NHS pays us for your primary care, consultation etc. They do not pay us for things like medicals, private reports etc. Provision of letters to the gym etc saying patients can/can not excercise are not covered by our NHS contract and so we charge a private fee the same as other professionals for their services.

GPs are NOT employed by the NHS (as is often thought)which is funded by taxes. They are independent contractors (private businesses) who perform specific primary care services under a contract with the NHS. Services outside of this contract have to be paid for on a fee scale. The majority of us charge for these on a scale of charges agreed by the BMA which is roughly £225 per hour which is considerably less than a solicitor and means the amount you were charged represented approx 10 mins work by a GP and includes the time spent by the support staff.

M

CCPM, to be honest that suprises me I just presumed they were emplyed by the NHS.
I was just annoyed at teh fact I was told not to go to the gym but expected to carry on paying !
thanks x

Yes many people are surprised by the fact that we are not employed by the NHS. I hope you get it sorted out

M

Back