• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sick Note for Work???

hayley1983

Hey everyone!

Just joined here tonight and read through alot of threads and feel so much better knowing there is a forum like this to help me along the way (even tho this is only the start of my journey) :)

My question is... if you have WLS privately, will you be provided with a sick note from the doctor that carries out the surgery, or will I have to go to my own GP??

Also.......

On average, how long did you all have to stay off work for to recover from gastric band surgery?

Thanks for all your help :D

Mine's a bypass on nhs ... but... both gp and hospital provided notes. Recovery seems to vary from person to person. Someone else will be along soon to give you a clearer idea for recovery. Oh welcome by the way!! x x x

sorry cant help but someone will be along soon ...did not wont to read and run ... good luck xx

Hi Hayley
I think the doctor that does the surgery will give you a sick note at the hospital . I think you will be able to go to work after about 4 weeks but I'm not to sure . Someone will be along and tell you . Have you got a date yet for your surgery . This is a great site and the people are very nice . Please keep us up to date with your progress . Good luck and take care .
MARGARET XX

Thanks for you replies!!

I haven't even gone for a consultation yet. I 99% sure I meet the critera as I have spoken to my doctor about this. I'm just gathering as much information together before I make my decision :)

I do have another question though whilst I'm at it.........

I think I am going to use the Weight Loss Surgery Group, one of the main reason is I have read alot of positive feedback on them, and that they have a clinic very close to where I live.....

Has anyone had their WLS at The Cobalt NHS Treatment Centre, North Tyneside? If so how long is the wait for your surgery after your consultation???

Again, thanks in advance for everyone's help :D

Hi Hayley

I had my Gastric Band 2 weeks ago today and I also was private therefore used my own Anual Leave as if the Operation is private then it is not classed as a necessity it is your own choice therefore you may be asked to use your own leave. The Surgeon offered me a note but I never took one.
As for the time of I booked 2 weeks but I absolutly sailed through my Op and could have gone back to work 4 days later but stayed of the first week...cancelled leave and went back 3 days earlier than I should of done.

Goodluck and any questions ask away xxx

I think the time you take off work also depends on what you do for a living.

If your job is very physically demanding (lifting and carrying) I'm sure a surgeon or GP wouldn't recommend you going back after just a couple of week. Even if you were pain free and felt fine. There is still internal healing going on, and they wouldn't want to risk staples coming undone.

Though if you have a desk job, it may be a different matter.

Oops missed that you were having Band, thought it was Bypass

Last edited:
If you are having a band then you should be fine to return to work after a week, unless your job is physically demanding. If your employer agrees to you taking it as sick leave, you wont need a sick note as you self certify for the first week.

I took a weeks leave after my op.

Great!

Thanks again to everyone.

xxx

Hi Hayley welcome to minis hope you get everything sorted out for having your band done. As for recovery time most ladies on here seem to have a week off then go back, but then they are all amazing !!

jay xx

Back