• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sick pay

clar01

My company pay 6 months sick pay, but I am wondering if they will pay it after WLS?
I don't really want to tell them, but also don't want to lie.
I'm going to have a sleeve this year, and was planning to take a two week holiday, but worried this won't be long enough.
It is a desk job with a bit of driving involved.
Any advice? Xxx

Hi I have the same dilema however I have been open that I will be getting surgery at some point. Mine is on the NHS - and I view this as medical and not cosmetic therefore this is the same as any other operation and I will need some sick leave. Hope this helps!

Hi

I took holiday too as a) I didnt want my employer to know b) I wouldnt have to lie to get sick leave.

I'm not sure what the recovery period tends to be for a sleeve but you wont really know how you will be until you have had the op.

I had a band and the norm is around a week recovery,some less and others who have a more 'manual' job longer.

Hi I have the same dilema however I have been open that I will be getting surgery at some point. Mine is on the NHS - and I view this as medical and not cosmetic therefore this is the same as any other operation and I will need some sick leave. Hope this helps!

I was offered a sick note for 4-6 weeks but i was mobile and went back to work 2 weeks later my school thought i would be off so would think yes you could have sickness leave, shouldnt be a problem. xx

You don't have to tell your work exactly what your operation is for. If your GP is understanding they can provide you with a 'sick line' saying something like "recovery after abdominal surgery". Mine did, no problem and my work did not question it.
Best of luck with your op.

I have been open with both my jobs, but on the sick note all it needs to say is post operation recovery, that's what I asked for and I have been given 4 weeks for band.
Just warn your work that you will requiring time off for an op and that's all they need to know.

Good luck x

Hr will prob need to know you had some form of surgery to cover their back should you eff it up by being given heavy lifting or something

My sick note said 'recovery time following surgery' I did tell the head of my department but it was only because I didn't know what was going to be put on my sick note, She has been great and no one else within the company knows the just think I've had abdominal surgery. I went back to work after 2 weeks I work in a contact centre so nothing manual. consultant was happy for me to drive after 2 wks, I did notify my insurance and what they said is as long as you have the ok from consultant then insurance cover would be valid :). Good luck x

Hi

Don't forget that unless you do a heavy manual labour job you will probably be fit to go back to work after about two weeks, so don't worry to much about calling in sick, just tell them you are going in for gastric surgery, they don't need to know the details, especially if you will only be off for a couple of weeks.

Paul

I told anyone who either had a line management role for me, and whose classes my absence would affect. However, I am a teacher and I had some really key classes - it was essential that the school had enough forewarning to arrange appropriate cover for me. I am lucky in that I have never had any negativeness from school - I am being given every consideration including 6 week leave of absence and reduced timetable when I return. They aren't expecting me to be back in the classroom properly until September I don't feel.

Back