• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCOS and Sunderland, please help :)

Lauren79

Hi everyone,

Lauren here, I visisted my GP today and she has said she thinks I qualify for WLS and to wait and hear.

I've done so much research but I'm worried I won't qualify (I'm in Sunderland CCG). My BMI is 35.5, I have PCOS and have struggled so much to loose weight. I have tried slimming world, WW, gym, orlastat, I'm ashamed to admit even some diet tablets like ephedrine bought over the Internet I'm so desperate.

Now I no you will qualify with a BMI of >35 with a co morbidity but does PCOS count in Sunderland? I certainly hope so.

Thanks and good luck everyone :)

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Each CCG have their own rules, which is good news for some but not for others. Hopefully your GP knows how things work in Sunderland and PCOS is certainly a factor in you not being able to lose weight!

Good luck, I hope you hear something positive soon x

Last edited:

Becpaul2016

Hi, I'm at Sunderland and I don't think they will accept pcos as a co morbidity as my bmi was about 38.5 when I was first transferred and they weren't even sure if they were going to accept me and I had pre diabetes, pcos, non alcoholic fatty lives disease, high end cholesterol and lipids, chronic pain and other issues. I think the definitely class as eligible for the surgery with a bmi you normally need to have type 2 diabetes or something similar. after a year on the pathway so far they have eventually had the mdt meeting and passed me for surgery but it wasn't without them previously telling me at every appointment that I wasn'wasn't the criteria so not to pin my hopes on it! I was actually told by a consultant to go away and gain weight and then ask for another referral!. I'm just waiting for my first surgeon appointment in just over a week so that I can hopefully be put on the list :). good luck with your referral x

Lauren79

Hi, I'm at Sunderland and I don't think they will accept pcos as a co morbidity as my bmi was about 38.5 when I was first transferred and they weren't even sure if they were going to accept me and I had pre diabetes, pcos, non alcoholic fatty lives disease, high end cholesterol and lipids, chronic pain and other issues. I think the definitely class as eligible for the surgery with a bmi you normally need to have type 2 diabetes or something similar. after a year on the pathway so far they have eventually had the mdt meeting and passed me for surgery but it wasn't without them previously telling me at every appointment that I wasn'wasn't the criteria so not to pin my hopes on it! I was actually told by a consultant to go away and gain weight and then ask for another referral!. I'm just waiting for my first surgeon appointment in just over a week so that I can hopefully be put on the list :). good luck with your referral x

Ah thank you very much that's a big help, I've been invited along to the seminar thing next month but sounds like it could be a non starter then. I don't no if I have pre dibiates, I'm insulin resistant and my PCOS consultant has said if I don't loose weight in the next year I'll become diabetic so obviously I'm very much trying to do this on my own. Do you no what made them change there minds then? It's mad that they told you that! Thank you for you're very detailed response Hun :) x

Lauren79

Each CCG have their own rules, which is good news for some but not for others. Hopefully your GP knows how things work in Sunderland and PCOS is certainly a factor in you not being able to lose weight!

Good luck, I hope you hear something positive soon x

Thank you Mazda :) x