• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCOS?

mandym1

Does anyone here have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)?

Has it effected the advice you have been given with regard to having WLS?

I do have PCOS and loosing weight has always been a battle I dont think I will ever win without surgery. The ironic thing being if I loose the weight all my symptoms should more or less disapear.

:sigh:

I don't have it but didn't that young lassie off the TV program 'embarassing illnesses' or whatever it was called have it? She was only about 21 and very depressed, she had a band on the NHS and she had PCOS...they just had her back in recently to she how she was getting on and she looked amazing!

Hello there

I have had pcos over 20 years now and even with a 4 and half stone weight loss my symptoms are not clearing.

All the best - MeJulie xx

if you have it you mostly always will but symptoms should get alot better with weightloss my skin has cleared brilliantly so far

Hello ,

I really wished this was the case, my symptoms have not dispearsed at all. they are in fact worse then they was....All I keep getting told is to lose more weight........So here goes to fighting the good fight

ty for your words of wisdom

all the best - mejuliexx

I have PCOS. It was bad enough that I underwent IVF/ICSI in order to have kids.

I also have PCOS, was diagnosed about 7 years ago. It was a bit of a shock to see one ovary shrivelled up (malformed from birth they say) and the other looking like someone had stuck grapes all over it.

I have know since my teens that kids would be very unlikely (had one pregnancy which ended 7 weeks with miscarriage)

I have the hairy thing, the spotty thing and found loosing weight hard but when I spoke to surgeon about it, he said it did not affect weather a person could have the surgery but it might, and he stressed the word might improve as I got nearer to a healthy goal weight.

Since then, I have found out that my hairy chin runs in the family, so that might not be down to the PCOS, but hair belly is....LOL.

My skin still has the odd breakout but it is slowly getting better and clearer. :)

I have all the same symptoms cazbandy, I am now too heavy for IVF treatment and have resigned myself to not having kids although if I get the surgery and the weight loss is in time (I'm now 35) who knows... but really I'm doing this for me I want a better quality of life...
I know there are no guarantees that all the symptoms will go but they will be much easier to cope with if I dont have all the other health problems that come with being so over weight..
I have my first appointment with an Endocronologist on Friday and have PCT funding in place.. so fingers crossed xx

Hiya hun - I have PCOS and have had a bypass. I have an awful beard, have had approx 6 periods in my life - I began them when I was 12 and was trying to have a baby for 2 years before I was advised to seek medical help.
The sole reason I went for the bypass was to lose weight and hopefully get pregnant. I have lost 3 stones so far and on Sat I had my first non medically induced period for years! Fingers crossed this is the beginning of me on the route to normality!

Hello ,

I really wished this was the case, my symptoms have not dispearsed at all. they are in fact worse then they was....All I keep getting told is to lose more weight........So here goes to fighting the good fight

ty for your words of wisdom

all the best - mejuliexx

i only have it mildly so that my be why i have regular periods mainly suffered with spots and hair which has both got alot better i dont often ovulate tho and suffer with very bad pmt and heavy periods which has got worse with weightloss which sucks hope yours does improve hun xx

Tyfm seren x x

i only have it mildly so that my be why i have regular periods mainly suffered with spots and hair which has both got alot better i dont often ovulate tho and suffer with very bad pmt and heavy periods which has got worse with weightloss which sucks hope yours does improve hun xx

Hiya, I was diagnosed with PCOS 12 years ago, but had had the symptoms several years before. FortunatelyI had already had my 3 children when I was diagnosed.

I have battled with my weight for most of my adult life; for me obviously the symptoms of PCOS far outweighed the inability to carry another child. I'd had my lot afterall.

I was never put forward for WLS. Somehow, well there is no somehow about it, its down to my RC instructor. I managed to lose 7st. As yet, unfortuntately I can see no difference in the PCOS symptoms. I do wonder if the 'if you lose weight' blah given to me by the doctors was just a convenient phrase not to deal with the issue.

Good luck with your weightloss, whether its through surgery or not!

Wow 7 stone.. well done you thats fantastic!!!

Thanks everyone its nice to hear I'm not the only hairy fat chick on the planet...
Its surprising how many are saying that PCOS symptoms are still there after big weight losses tho... It does make you think we are being spun a line about weight being the problem.

Oh well I could live with "slim" and hairy no probs ha ha

Hi I have PCOS, have tried for years to fall pregnant with no result. I have always had my monthly but my cycle was wonky, 35 days one month, 21 days the next and they lasted anywhere from 5-10 days! I have had 7 cycles since my gastric bypass and they are like clock work and last about 4-6 days. They are just a heavy as before but my PMT has decreased. I have lost over 8 stone and am in touching distance of a healthy BMI so I a hoping for the ability to fall pregnant in the not too distant future. I have been given the medical advice from my consultant and my GP to get cracking since I will be 36 in 8 days:):):)!

I have PCOS too, I was diagnosed 17 years ago, Luckily for me it was after i had my 2 children, But have struggled with weight and period problems ever since,Yo-yo dieting and not being able to maintain, Hence why I had the Bypass because it was so hard to keep the weight off.
I don't think my symptoms have changed but my periods are more regular since my op 7 months ago.

Last edited:
i also have pcos, i did have my son before my wls but i needed treatment to help me concieve, the symptoms havent really changed since ive lost weight.

nic i will be 35 years young on the 29th, i hope you have a great birthday xxx

Aww, Liz too bad we live so far apart, we could have a drink together! Well I'll raise a glass to you on the 29th & think of me on the 28th!

Nic:D

Aww, Liz too bad we live so far apart, we could have a drink together! Well I'll raise a glass to you on the 29th & think of me on the 28th!

Nic:D

yeah its a real shame we are so far away, yes i will raise my glass to you on the 28th, its a bit crap this year having a birthday on a wednesday :mad: i might go out somewhere the following saturday and do something fun :D

liz x

Back