• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCOS QUESTION

sukies

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone has pcos and if they have does it slow down your weight loss as that was one of the symptoms for me not losing weight before.

Hi I am not able to help with this question but am curious what answers you get. I too have PCOS and am pre-op.

I am hoping that loosing weight will help my symptoms and as the symptoms improve so will my weight loss.. as the 2 have always been linked.

i have pcos and it hasnt effected my weight loss with either my bandings or my bypass x

I have PCOS & still have to be very strict about my carb intake to be able to lose weight, my dietician says that PCOS sufferers will struggle more than those without, but thats just one view & as we all know.... one size does not fit all!!

Good luck with yr op! x

I also have PCOS, and central sleep aponea (where the brain doesn't work as opposed to the weight being the cause)

I would LOVE someone to do some study to find out what comes first, the condition or the weight!

hi honey i too have pcos and have to watch the amount of carbs i have but i personally dont think its slowed down my weight loss

i have pcos i am only 10weeks out i dont think its slowed my weight loss so far x

I have pcos and I have lost quite a bit even though I am only 4 weeks post op,

May seem like a daft question but what are the symptoms of PCOS? I understand it makes it difficult to lose weight but how do you know you have it, is it painful?

I had really heavy periods and you get lots of hair where you don't want it! It doesn't hurt and my docs won't do anything about it as I dont want any more children!!

Hi I have pcos - always had problems losing weight. However I started dieting in Aug, had my bypass in January and have lost 92lbs so far.
Have just started laser treatment for my excess hair - so cant wait to be rid of it and the weight lol.
Good luck with ur weightloss
x

Symptoms are so varied and differ from person to person. From excess hair to hair loss, heavy periods to no periods and whilst I think think the majority of people gain weight I have heard of cases where weight loss is a problem.

For me it has always been excess hair, weight gain, no periods, infertility and sometimes acne. These symptoms can be severe and at other times not so bad. They vary as my hormones fluctuate. Ive learned to cope with most of the symptoms but infertility is one I hope to solve with WLS.

You may start to notice symptoms of PCOS in your late teens or 20s, such as:
  • absent or irregular periods
  • infertility - you need to ovulate to become pregnant and you may not be ovulating regularly or at all
  • obesity or being overweight
  • excess hair (hirsutism) on your face, around your nipples or on your lower abdomen
  • thinning of the hair on top of your head
  • acne

You may start to notice symptoms of PCOS in your late teens or 20s, such as:
  • absent or irregular periods
  • infertility - you need to ovulate to become pregnant and you may not be ovulating regularly or at all
  • obesity or being overweight
  • excess hair (hirsutism) on your face, around your nipples or on your lower abdomen
  • thinning of the hair on top of your head
  • acne
I never had a period for about 4 years then 2 week before i went in hospital i got one, but it lasted the whole 2 weeks and i was really heavy. i was worried about going in hospital and having it, but it disapeared by the afternoon of my admission. (funny that) Ive got really thin hair, no excess hair anywhere over my body, no acne, but been trying for a baby for 10 years, and no joy. Ive had no help from my doctors for this problem.

I was told that I would have more difficulty losing weight due to my having pcos for over 20 years, I have too becareful of my carb intake as well, but in all fairness losing the weight with band has not been a problem for me at all.

I never had a period for about 4 years then 2 week before i went in hospital i got one, but it lasted the whole 2 weeks and i was really heavy. i was worried about going in hospital and having it, but it disapeared by the afternoon of my admission. (funny that) Ive got really thin hair, no excess hair anywhere over my body, no acne, but been trying for a baby for 10 years, and no joy. Ive had no help from my doctors for this problem.

Hi Sukies - sorry to hear about your PCOS problems.

I hope and pray for you with the weight loss following surgery, that it will make such a difference to your illiness; and give you your wish to conceive and have a healthy baby.

Take care hun x

Love Kat x

Aww thanks kat, it has been one of my dreams to have a baby so hopefully in the next 2 years before i get to old haha...my husband is one of 14 kids and his family can't understand it why we have'nt had any yet.

Back