• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Periods after the op

Keza Roo

Can anyone help I had my op on the 3rd Oct and I was due on my period this Monday but I still havent started. I was just wanting to know weather having this op can mess yr periods up. Sorry for the personal thread just I am really worried xx

Hi Kerry, Yes the op definitely does mess you up period wise. Make sure you take extra precautions if you are on the pill as it is a bit unreliable for a while. It can take a while to get back to normal, honey xxx :)

Yes definitely. I normally have a 4 week cycle but post op waited 6 weeks, then had another 2 weeks later! Fat cells hold oestrogen and when they break down quickly after a bypass the released hormones mess your cycle up.

Hi Kerry, Yes the op definitely does mess you up period wise. Make sure you take extra precautions if you are on the pill as it is a bit unreliable for a while. It can take a while to get back to normal, honey xxx :)

I could be wrong but I thought bypassers were advised not to rely on the pill fullstop post op. Im sure I have read people have had the coil instead :confused:

But yes weight loss / gain certainly does do funny things to our hormones! xx

I could be wrong but I thought bypassers were advised not to rely on the pill fullstop post op. Im sure I have read people have had the coil instead :confused:

But yes weight loss / gain certainly does do funny things to our hormones! xx

It was not mentioned to me at all, Maz ... all my knowledge of this has come from this forum by people who are living it. I can see why it would be wise not to rely on the pill though, once bypassed. x :sigh:

Thanks everyone for the comments back its made me feel so much better that its due to the op worry over nothing xxx

I was told pill ok post bypass by my team and gp! Hope they're not wrong!!!! ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy SII using WLSurgery

My periods were all over the place n most of the time I'd go months without and post op now by 3months n iv had 5 periods not massive ones, I was told that they will b a little all over the place for a while but that it's nothing to worry about

I was told no to the pill will work but only about 20% so they advise other methods.... No babies for me yet lol xxx

Oh crikey nothing about this was discussed with me. Im not on the pill but I do use a contraceptive patch. But no one mentioned about using other precautions.

The first period I had after my bypass op which was approx 4 weeks after was really heavy.

I have a mirena coil and think I will stick to it lol

Thanks everyone my period came today and OMG I feel like I am 14 again the pain is unreal but so glad. Thanks to everyone for all yr comments :) xxx

Thanks everyone my period came today and OMG I feel like I am 14 again the pain is unreal but so glad. Thanks to everyone for all yr comments :) xxx

Phew ... nearly number 3 on the way then, lol ... I should see your doctor re having a coil fitted to be on the safe side, honey. It was not mentioned to me at the hospital at all .. guessing it wasn't to you either. Lesson learnt. xxx :):)

They didnt really say much bout it and I had that many questions to ask I forgot all about it. Hows u goin hun? What u eatin now? And hav u been weighed? Xxx

I was told my team like you to have the coil which I had already been give.

They didnt really say much bout it and I had that many questions to ask I forgot all about it. Hows u goin hun? What u eatin now? And hav u been weighed? Xxx

Hi Honey ... bit fed up cos I am not losing at all, well 7lbs since night before op. :cry: I am having about 800 cals per day & pre op would have lost big time by now but it will not move. I am walking my legs off too .... hay ho :sigh::sigh: xx

Hi hunni cant understand why u arnt losin anythin I am 3 pounds away from 2 stone so from me startin this journey in May this year I hav now lost 7 stone 1 pound. Keep me posted hun and keep yr chin up xxx

Well done keza, and dont worry twinkle I think we all go though them stages!!
I'm 7 weeks post op and I have had a week where I didn't lose anything infact the scales said gained ?
But I have lost since as for periods I was just told as I had suffered with long and extremely heavy.

Unfortunately I had mine during my op for 2 weeks ( bad times)
Anyway since had my 2nd period omg the pain I felt like I was 18 again so not looking forward to my periods now as I hate pain!! Hence I thought they hastened to murder me when I came round from my op!! Lol?

I guess every 1 is different as told me it would make them better they have so far just the pain!! X

Happy Fridays and happy losing ??

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks hun I feel like I want to be in bed with hot water bottle and I havent felt like that since I was 14. Dont worry twinkle it will happpen did u phone the dietician? If sho what she say? Xxx

Thanks hun I feel like I want to be in bed with hot water bottle and I havent felt like that since I was 14. Dont worry twinkle it will happpen did u phone the dietician? If sho what she say? Xxx

No ... didn't ring. Will just keep going until my post op appointment & hopefully something will have happened by then :( Hope your period pain in better today, sunshine xxx :)

Bless you twinkle it will happen ?x
I have a good feeling for you xxx

Kezza nothing like a hot water bottle, was actually quite proud of myself as normally I have to have choccy but kept strong and for the fear of dumping was fine!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back