• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diet afffecting periods? One for the ladies.

Leesh

Just a bit of a strange question really. I have been on the pre op diet for nearly three weeks now and I think it may be affecting my periods. I am on the low carb diet and have lost about 15 pounds which I am really chuffed about. The problem is that I have been bleeding for most of the time I have been on the diet. I rarely have a period as I take the mini pill and for it to last this lost is a real one off. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same thing or do you think its a coincidence? I would of thought that rapid weight loss would stop your period if anything.

I'm the exact same. I started a period a few days into the pre-op diet and I had only finished one a few days before that. I then proceeded to have another two periods making it four in four weeks. The lastest is still going on.

I have a myrena fitted and was settled down to a period every four weeks for only 3-4 days and very light. The first three of these periods were like that but this latest one is heavy and lasting longer.

It has to be the drastic change in eating habits. I just hope it settles back down again soon :(

I think if you are taking the pill you may need to see your gp as dont forget we do not absorb all of what we eat now, and so it can be the same with our medication, I have heard of folk having to double up on the pill, so be careful (CONDOMS) unless you want babies..... lol do I sound like your mom........ I used to have very hit and miss periods when i was fat, I could go up to 6 months without, now they are back very regular and very very heavy not nice..... Hope you get it sorted...

Aw thanks for that girls. I just thought it was a very strange symptom of the diet. Hope it settles down soon too! Its rubbish. I was wondering if my pill might be affected but I have not had my op yet (going in on tuesday) and I am having a band. You do sound a bit like my Mum, he he, but thats nice. Need a bit of mothering at the moment.

thanks again.

Leesh - just wanted to point out hun. On your details to the left it says your start weight was 246 instead of 264. It looks like you've gained instead of lost lol.

he he thanks Karen. I will put it right! Cant be having that. I have put my surgery date right too because it still said last week but I was cancelled.

I thought I had gone through the menopause albeit it early a few years ago - and had not had a period since. I have been doing a low carb diet for a few months and suddenly started having a period at the end of last week. I was in total denial and thought I was passing blood in my urine until I realised what it was. It has been lovely not to have to worry about that time of the month and I am still shocked at the prospect of facing them all over again.

tranquil

Isn't it strange, there is no way I would of thought a low carb diet could affect your periods like that. I bet there is a medical explanation but I cant think of one and Im a nurse (only just qualified though so still very green). It's not good though, especially if you thought you were done with all that. Making me a bit tired now as well because its been going on a while.

Isn't it strange, there is no way I would of thought a low carb diet could affect your periods like that. I bet there is a medical explanation but I cant think of one and Im a nurse (only just qualified though so still very green). It's not good though, especially if you thought you were done with all that. Making me a bit tired now as well because its been going on a while.

I am still in disbelief - Mr TB was in hysterics at the thought I may still be fertile - I told him not to get any ideas. I am due a smear test so I will go and get it done as soon as this is over and make sure nothing else is going on. Hope yours sorts itself out soon.

tranquil

Back