• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hiatus hernia before surgery

lynnepoth

Sorry another question! Anyone had a hiatus hernia before surgery? I get weeks of spasms with pain so if you had one before surgery which did you have sleeve or bypass and did the hernia get better?

Hi

I had one before surgery which I didn't even know I had, they fixed it whist having the WL surgery

Sorry not much help I know!! Xx

I had quite a large hernia and the surgeon said a bypass is the best option to avoid problems with reflux and the hernia recurring.
As far as I know they fixed the hernia at the same time.

Good luck x

Thank to u both for replies I was under investigation as the medication not helping the hernia pain and at my appointment he suggested losing weight! I told him I was waiting to be referred for surgery which he supported! Yesterday got my appointment to see surgeon and appointment for ph level testing so I guess I am gonna have to call both to see if they need me to carry on with ph level testing and perhaps to talk about repair too! Everything's been happening so quick! A year struggling now it's all going on!

Can I just ask...
What are the symptoms of a hernia?
Reason I ask I'm over 4 yrs post op bypass,and I've had tests done for pains I'm having in the tummy area(more top of abdomen)I've had 2 scans,and camera down throat to check for twisted bowel or ulcer..
Nothing showed up(thank god) but on my last annual check up I told them I'm still suffering..so I might have to have camera through stomach to check for a hernia..

Hi I have bad chest pains almost as if someone sat on me or got their hand round throat! At first I thought was my heart but they discovered hernia! Also get wheezy when it's really playing up! Burning pain!

Hi I have bad chest pains almost as if someone sat on me or got their hand round throat! At first I thought was my heart but they discovered hernia! Also get wheezy when it's really playing up! Burning pain!

I described a burning type pain to the doctor right at the top of the abdomen area and I also notice stress makes the pain start.
I'm sat here currently with my pain..burning,bloating and wind pains just so uncomfy and back is hurting..
I'm just confused..I've had a camera down the throat so if my pain is at the top of the abdomen area I would have thought something might have been picked up.
And I've had 2 body scans done I with dye..I'm a bit fed up today i think.

Hi

I didn't have much pain, just terrible acid if I bent down even just for a few seconds.

I didn't know I had it, til I woke up after surgery and they told me.

Xx

Back