• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Photo of me dressed up to go out!

Ruthiep said:
This isn't me at my very biggest, but not far from it.

What a stunning change!!! And thank you for the insight on the hair and Judaism. It was not something I knew, and I am fascinated :) xxx

What a stunning change!!! And thank you for the insight on the hair and Judaism. It was not something I knew, and I am fascinated :) xxx

I should say that the covering of hair by Jewish married women, is not as widely observed as the wearing of a headscarf by Muslim women. There is a spectrum of the strictness of its observance, from women who only wear a hat to synagogue or other religious occasions, through women who will cover their hair with a hat or scarf but have some hair showing, to women like me, who will never show their hair in public. I am not even on the strictest (most extreme) end of the spectrum; there are some women from the Hassidic communities, who won't wear wigs that are too natural-looking, and will always wear a hat as well as the wig.

The wig stylist and seller is an important member of our communities needless to say. I like wearing a wig, they are light and comfortable, and best of all, I need never have a bad hair day! In very hot climates however, I tend to wear a cotton beret and only wear a wig for special occasions or going out in the evenings.

Thanks for sharing Ruthie. The change from your larger photo is sensational.
I was in New York for a short while and stayed with a Jewish student friend and all the married ladies in her circle wore wigs ( or covered their hair other ways). For some reason I thought it was a US thing . Mind you it was 30 years ago and my memory's not great. Please forgive my ignorance.
Your wig looks fab. A lot of my African Carribean origin friends wear wigs and I'm often jealous as they look brilliant. It seems to be a cultural thing this wig wearing. I can remember that wigs were big news in the 70's though, and remember begging to try on my mothers, aunts and nan's . I wonder why they're not a more mainstream item nowadays .

Thanks for sharing Ruthie. The change from your larger photo is sensational.
I was in New York for a short while and stayed with a Jewish student friend and all the married ladies in her circle wore wigs ( or covered their hair other ways). For some reason I thought it was a US thing . Mind you it was 30 years ago and my memory's not great. Please forgive my ignorance.
Your wig looks fab. A lot of my African Carribean origin friends wear wigs and I'm often jealous as they look brilliant. It seems to be a cultural thing this wig wearing. I can remember that wigs were big news in the 70's though, and remember begging to try on my mothers, aunts and nan's . I wonder why they're not a more mainstream item nowadays .

My wig stylist, Gali, serves the Jewish community here, but not only us; she also helps a lot of women with either alopaecia or chemo related hair loss. She even made the most beautiful wig for a six yr old girl who was undergoing chemo; it helped her stay confident until her own hair grew back. Gali has her own "factory" downstairs to her salon here in Golders Green; as I go in to go upstairs, I see several women working on making wigs, sewing in the hair to the net etc. Gali only deals in finest European hair (usually from Eastern Europe). This makes the best wigs very pricey, several hundred pounds at cheapest, which would maybe explain the lack of mainstream takeup? You can certainly get a ready out-of-a-box synthetic wig for about £20-£30, and a human hair wig made from coarser Asian hair for about £100-£200. But they have that "shop window mannequin" look about them, and only a few months of washing and wearing, they start looking like a dead rat on your head. A good quality European hair wig can last years and years. I can't remember the last time I bought a new wig; at least five years ago if not longer. So the initial investment is worth it.

It's a true art isn't it? As you say, the investment must pay for itself, especially when compared to salon prices. I bet your pixie cut suits you very well, especially as your face is so tiny now. My face is very slim these days but unfortunately I look very saggy ! I think I'm going to try the electric face lift treatment you recommended a few weeks ago. I use a Rosemary Conley facial exercise doobury and it is having some effect so I think the electric thing can only help. I'm not sure whether to go for a salon treatments or a home one such as one I spotted on QVC.
xx

u look stunning Ruth xx

It's a true art isn't it? As you say, the investment must pay for itself, especially when compared to salon prices. I bet your pixie cut suits you very well, especially as your face is so tiny now. My face is very slim these days but unfortunately I look very saggy ! I think I'm going to try the electric face lift treatment you recommended a few weeks ago. I use a Rosemary Conley facial exercise doobury and it is having some effect so I think the electric thing can only help. I'm not sure whether to go for a salon treatments or a home one such as one I spotted on QVC.
xx

I have it cut *very* short, so as not to need another haircut for the longest possible time, but yes it probably does suit me. I also have it coloured; weird I know, since no one sees it except me and hubs, but as I don't like looking at this grey haired old granny in the mirror, I have it coloured a nice auburn!

Yes the non surgical face lift facials are very good; I have one every two weeks. I'd like to think that if I went on "Ten Years Younger" I'd be the "after" before I started! :) I try, anyway! I hope I don't look my true age which is 64 next Saturday 19th May.:confused:

Thanks for even more fabulous insight :)

And you look amazing for nearly 64!!

p.s, as you can see my hair has grown rapidly lol. I use grip in hair peices, like a half wig, when I havent the time or the money to go to the hairdressers and have my natural hair done. I love it :D

Here's a real side by side before and after pic.

Attachments

• newbeforeandafterpic.jpg
    newbeforeandafterpic.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 1,095
Ruthiep said:
Here's a real side by side before and after pic.

Wow! So much different! Before you looked nearer your age, now you could easily know 10 years of you :D

It is your playful and cheerful spirit that is keeping you so youthful Ruthie, and that smile that is in every photo you post! The joy you have in the post sleeve you is infectious, I love the fact you 'spoil' yourself to great outfits, beauty treatments etc.

Keep it up girl, you're well worth the effort x

It is your playful and cheerful spirit that is keeping you so youthful Ruthie, and that smile that is in every photo you post! The joy you have in the post sleeve you is infectious, I love the fact you 'spoil' yourself to great outfits, beauty treatments etc.

Keep it up girl, you're well worth the effort x

Aww thank you so much!

Ruthiep said:
Only ten years? :p

Lol!!! I bet in animation you look even younger. I am told I look younger when laughing and smiling. That can't always be captured in pics :)

You look great anyway lol

Back