• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

plantar fasciitis (heel pain)

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I resemble a crippled old lady when I wake up as my heels tighten up overnight and are very painful when I walk. The same happens if I've been sat for a while. I know being overweight is a cause of this. Have any of you had the same problem and did it improve as you lost weight?

Oh yes! I was in total AGONY for about 5 weeks prior to surgery......

and I've just realised as I read your post that I'm in no pain post-op!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's good that you mention this... I have a problem with my heels becoming tight (achilles area) not sure if this is weight related, but I wouldn't be surprised. I can hardly stand my weight after getting out of bed... have to really try and get going... could it be due to a strain also?
When I touch my heels, they are very sore most of the time
and thanks for sharing... it all helps xxx

I found that a really good pair of insoles helps. I get ones from Millets, they are called Orthaheel - a bit expensive at £23.99 but I really feel a difference.

Not sure if I'm allowed to put a link but here it is anyway:

Millets Vas Sports Insoles

That's great, thank you so much, will take a look later... thanks again xxx

You can get supports to wear overnight especially for this, I had some but they were for a slightly different problem, but I remember all the literature with them went on about PF. They were like a big plastic boot!

Night splints for PF are available on Amazon if you are interested. I used to suffer with this a few years ago until I had a couple of VERY PAINFUL injections up into the heels. Been OK after then though.

My oh my, I had it REALLY bad a couple of years ago.

I had every treatment going, including physio, infa-red treatment & steroid injections (The most painful thing I have EVER had in all my life!!!!!)

I was on dihydracodeine & ketoprofen to try and help with the pain, so felt like a zombie alot of the time as these are both super-strong!

I had to wear orthotics in my shoes, and could barely walk for about 9 months, the worst time being when I just got out of bed, I couldn't put any weight on it at all!!

It eventually got better, & I haven't had any trouble since, but I do have to wear Birkenstocks all the time (I have 6 pairs!) I can't wear normal shoes with a flat insole, as I now need the support.

Good luck with it honey, I really hope you get better soon, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

xxx

wow i didn't expect such a response. i guess it must be down to the weight then, but it's great to hear how many people have stopped having the pain post surgery.

I must stop living in crocs. I'm sure they're not helping.

Seriously get yourself some Birkenstocks. They're not cheap, but the support they give you in amazing, they helped me so much.

xxx

Night splints for PF are available on Amazon if you are interested. I used to suffer with this a few years ago until I had a couple of VERY PAINFUL injections up into the heels. Been OK after then though.

Ooh, you had the joys of steroid injections too?

Have you ever felt pain like that before? The needle has to go right in till it touches your bone!

My GP felt sick the morning he had to do mine as he knew how horrible they are, he was a nervous wreck by the time it came to doing it for me.

Oh my, I nearly went through the roof when that needle went in!

xx

oh yes!! this is something i know about!! i was told i had policemans heel, i said i don't care who's heel it is i don't want it!! i've lost 3 stone pre op & already it seems to have helped so i'm hoping that this will go in time :)

Ooh, you had the joys of steroid injections too?

Have you ever felt pain like that before? The needle has to go right in till it touches your bone!

My GP felt sick the morning he had to do mine as he knew how horrible they are, he was a nervous wreck by the time it came to doing it for me.

Oh my, I nearly went through the roof when that needle went in!

xx

Oh yes! However, I had the benefit of having mine done in hospital. They deadened the foot first by injecting a local into a nerve in the ankle. After waiting about 30 minutes the foot was conpletely numb, I couldn't feel a thing, infact it was quite tricky walking. Mind you, I did feel it once the LA started wearing off.
xx

i have had planter fasiitis for over 15 years . my podiatrist told me it is NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING OVER WEIGHT that is just a drs cop out, i have been told that it wont matter how much weight i lose my feet might alway hurt . i also have nouropathy in both feet and and i have mortons neuroma, the pain from planter fasiitis can be eased by a cortizone injection into the heal but my god does that hurt,it can also help if your podiatrist straps the base of your feet with a form of plaster that is placed on the bottom of the feet like a fan.... but dont let people tell u its coz ur over weight , as planter fascitis is what runners get from over straining there tendons and nervers...

I'd like to walk more than I do but find I'm crippled the day after if I've gone more than a mile or two with terribly painful heels. Some weeks I forget and do too much and boy do I get a reminder! Have lost a lot of weight and it hasn't made much difference. Very frustrating but just have to live with it I suppose as I really don't fancy the steroid injections some of you have had. I'll just have to pull out of the olympics:whacky068:

Back