• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please be honest - food post bypass???

everpositive

:sigh:Hi again all,

Will have another look through previous posts but have another question. What exactly do you guys eat??? I know its liquids only for the first 6 - 8 weeks but once you introduce foods, what did you have and what sort of portion sizes are we talking seriously?? When I went for my consultation last week, I overheard a few people who were 4 or 5 months post bypass say they could still only manage a third of a banana? Is pasta, rice, potatoes a thing of the past or is it manageable in the most smurf like portions??

Cheers people xx

Hiya Claire, food portion size depends from person to person, what I can say is that seven months on I eat my meals from a side dish and can finish at the most three quarters of the plate, most days though only about half. I can manage a small banana at a push but usualy leave a bit.
Im lucky in that I can eat most foods, but still have the odd hiccup!

there isn't anything I can't eat, except from large amounts of high fat or high sugar obviously. Potatoes, rice, pasta all fine. In fact made quorn spag bol for dinner!

Hi Claire I am 9 weeks post bypass and I can eat almost anything. I don't have fatty, sweet or processed food. My day usually starts with a slice of toast, 2 crackers and cheese (low fat) for lunch and, for example today, a slice of beef with carrots, peas and cabbage I could have had potatoes but prefer to do with out. I eat chilie and pasta, rice but only very small portions. if I have to eat a ready meal I have about half of a weight watchers meal. Once a week I have nuts which I shell myself-not the ready bagged ones. it makes you realise that your portion sizes were way out of control before the op and I think back to how many snacks I had through the day. If I have a tracker bar I cut it up into about 6 pieces and make it last a few days but it is far too sweet. I really do not feel that I am missing out. If I want something I give it a try. The art is in the chewing properly. I usually find that half way through my dinner it's gone cold anyway and I lose interst.

I think it depends on the person.

I'm 4 and a half weeks post op, and i've actually been eating over the last day or two. I can have a jacket potato (not the whole thing of course) but ad about half of one yesterday, i can have two rice cakes with philly, avocado, chicken, tomato, cheese on them, this morning we went to sainsburys for breakfast and i had half a sausage with a fried egg, about half a hash brown and about a tablespoon of baked beans. As for pasta, sometimes i can eat it, other times i cant, but i can normally have a small bowl of it, bread or anything resembling bread, i cannot eat at all without getting a blockage.
1 weetabix with plenty of milk, a pint of milk drunk through a straw, or pint of smoothie, about two tablespoons of rice with blackbean sauce. Haven't had much else, but am now looking forward to varying my diet.
Wish i could fit a bit more in, especially when i find something really nice.

I am only two weeks post op and whilst not on pureed foods but very soft foods I find I am satisfied a lot quicker, I have gone so off anything sweet.....I made a chilli today and have had some without rice, I have to remember to chew and so far have had no problems. I find that the little food you eat tastes so much nicer than just shovelling it in and therefore your taste buds enjoy it more and you need less. I would sooner have to eat my meals off a side plate and enjoy them then have a dinner plate over loaded, not taste anything properly and then feel fat and guilty for eating it afterwards. It gets things back into proportion.....little an often is how I like to eat which before the op had gone to a lot (and I mean a lot) and often. So far I have not had any bad reactions to anything except apple and mango juice which seems to go right through me but will be helpful if I get constipated on the iron....sorry for rambling on...lol...xx

Back