• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need Help with understanding food

NatalieG

Hi to all,

Happy New Year to All.

I am nearly 10 weeks post op now and need some guidance on what I should be eating.

I currently eat Branflakes for breakfast, then I have dinner and tea which consists of meat, carrots & swede, and small amount of potatoes or sweet potatoes. (sort of sunday dinner)

And for snacks I have either banana or fuit in sugar free jelly or fruit in juice.

Can anyone please advise what else I can eat and start trying.

When can I start salad, rice, pasta, and so on.

Thanks In advance

HI Natalie

At 10 weeks post op you should be starting to experiement with normal foods, there isn't really anything you should be avoiding other than sugar laiden foods or fatty / oily foods ! you may find things like hard or dry meat hard to take so go easy with these, ensure your eating your protein per meal, i.e meat, fish, dairy and pulses, you should be able to eat salad, rice and pasta, though go slowly and see how you go.
If you react badly to any food or it doesn't sit well in your pouch then avoid it and try again in a few weeks, some foods will fill you up quickly with only a small amount and some wont and will take more - its all trial and error and a bit of experimentation.

Totally agree with Silversurfer - everything is trial and error but listen to what your pouch tells you and go at that pace (everyone's different). Sending hugs with fairy dust to help you xx

I just had a bowl of stir-fry veggies (7 weeks post op) and it was yummy (no protein but it was lovely). I don't eat any meat at all at the moment, I eat cottage cheese, soft boiled egg, fruit, vegetables, oh I do have faggots and they go down well.

I'm eight weeks post op and can eat pretty much anything, except bread which doesn't go down well. Obviously I stay away from fatty or sugary foods incase they make me dump but otherwise as SS says everything is trial and error. Sometimes my pouch is happy with a food one day then the next it rebels and won't allow it, but you get used to that! :D

Gill I too had stir fry last night with veggies, noodles, chicken and prawns in a little hoi sin sauce, deeelish!

There are some good ideas over in the recipe section and food diaries that may be of use to you to compare amounts etc.

Cuppa xx

I am nearly nine weeks post-op now and I tried pasta a couple of weeks ago. I had some 'quick cook' very very soft and small pasta twirls and chewed them very very well and only had about six pieces of them and they were warm and they stayed down very well, so start off slowly, have it soft and warm and chew chew chew it and you should be ok.
I had salad around the same time and I can manage salad leaves but only if they are very crunchy and I have to chew them sooooo much, anything else and it upsets my tummy, my pouch grumbles lots if it isnt crunchy and even with crunchy it grumbles a bit too, it really is trial and error.
The other bits of salad, like cucumber etc...I can eat cucumber if I chew it lots but tomato raw just doesnt feel right so I dont have it raw.
Someone gave me a bit of advice once which was to try everything and to not be afraid, so I have done (except for things like chocolate and sweets and cake and bread etc) and most things are fine for me. I was very scared of fish and meat but I tried them both slowly and I am fine on them both.
Jist remember, go slowly, listen to your pouch most of all...RELAX xx
Steph xx

Big Thankyou for all your advice!!
Going shopping tomorrow so gonna try some new things and Ill def chew chew chew. Ill let you know how i get on!!! Cant wait!

At 10 weeks you should be trying foods all the time, like everyone says. Just make sure to only try one new food at a time, that way you can tell which new thing is the trouble maker. Keep all food moist at first, chew loads, take tiny bites and remember to eat slowly when it is something new.

At first when eating raw fruit & veg remove all peels/skin, this will help you tolerate them better. With pasta & rice, eat them last as they tend to swell in your pouch and will leave no room for protein. Remember that protein foods make good snacks (yogurt, cheese, nuts) and try to make the most of your new healthy eating.

Just have fun and experiment, you will learn the foods you love but don't forget the pouch is always changing so what is a no-no today may be lovely tomorrow.

Nic:D

Back