• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Port site pain

bandito

Hiya, I've done a search for this and got a multitude of threads on port problems to sift through.

Some made me go :eek: so I've stopped and hopefully thought those banders patient enough, who have probably answered this already another time, would help.

My port site is sore. The wound itself is healing well although it is longer and slightly redder than the others however, no signs of infection at all.

It just hurts - varies from a mega mean bruise like feeling to a stabbing pain.

Is this normal? I am three weeks post-op and thought it would have settled by now. It's also raised and I can clearly see a distinct bump - this seems to get more prominent as the day goes on.

I am seeing the consultant in a weeks time but, I guess I'm just looking for assurance that this is normal.

Cheers in advance xx

I still have some pain from mine. I had my op in August. I have asked lots of people and then my provider said that port pain although its not mentioned often is common.
She said to remember its attached to a muscle and movement, exercise, not sitting up straight etc can all irritate it.
Its still worth mentioning to your provider tho x

Not real pain for me but it certainly is more tender than rest, all wounds are healing well but they are still sore. Mine definitely goes inwards there, which looked a little odd.....but guessed that's where its stitched to the muscle and it pulls when i move around excessively. Almost 6 weeks post and they get better by the week x x x

Thanks Bichonbabies (I have a Bichon) - I guess it is just par for the course then.

Crystal - it goes in..? Why are you an inney and I'm an outey - that's not fair!!

Thanks guys - was quite sore this morning and it worries me.
xx

I had my op in November and the port site scar was the last one to heal and can still give me pain even now. I mentioned it to my provider and they said it was totally normal. But I would certainly mention it to yours if you are concerned. They told me its because the port is attached to a muscle. I notice I only have pain when I've been doing strenuous exercise, it seems to be getting better though. I guess its just a case of the muscle settling down.

i still get twinges now and again too was banded in october! i think its because its tethered to a muscle x x

Thanks Bichonbabies (I have a Bichon) - I guess it is just par for the course then.

Crystal - it goes in..? Why are you an inney and I'm an outey - that's not fair!!

Thanks guys - was quite sore this morning and it worries me.
xx

Yes mine goes in too!! Think its scarring... Ill be honest and probably get shot for it but I carried on smoking (awful i know but couldnt give up food and fags together)
Think this is why my scars are still very obvious... Yes port pain is really common I bought a cross trainer and after a week on it I could barely lie down and its just the port muscle being over worked.
I have bichons 2 in fact and soon to be 3 x

Yes mine goes in too!! Think its scarring... Ill be honest and probably get shot for it but I carried on smoking (awful i know but couldnt give up food and fags together)
Think this is why my scars are still very obvious... Yes port pain is really common I bought a cross trainer and after a week on it I could barely lie down and its just the port muscle being over worked.
I have bichons 2 in fact and soon to be 3 x

Love my boy - he's so good - sometimes you don't know what you've got until you can compare. Friend bought round her girl pug today and she was full of attitude and had a right go at Patch a few times. He hadn't done anything either. She was like - my sofa, my humans, my stuff - just realised how docile and non-aggressive he is.

Anyway, back on topic :) Now I'm worried that mines not an innie! Think I had been over-doing it like you say (changed all the beds the day before), now it's settled a bit and feels better. I'm not kidding it was really hurting - I'm not a baby and wouldn't have posted if it was a niggle. Was a bit worried that it may have got infected inside with the lump over it too. Lump has gone down too.

And now I'm worried about that!

Thanks for all your replies xxxx

Just wondered - how many people have the port near their belly button and how many have it near their rib? As I keep hearing dependent on where they put it depends on how it feels later on?

Just wondered - how many people have the port near their belly button and how many have it near their rib? As I keep hearing dependent on where they put it depends on how it feels later on?

Mine is just below my left ribs.

A friend of mine was told the port would be where her bra is below her breast bone..? I told her that I didn't think that was right and showed her where mine was (on left below rib). What her surgeon told her about that has made her decide on the sleeve. I've no problem with that but, I don't think anyone has had a port below the breast bone? Obviously she's a big girl, with big boobs and it totally put her off the band.

Mines in between my boobs on what I think is called the sternum. The surgeon sad they place if there as there is less chance of running into problems with the port. Such as a port flip etc!

Mine was near my belly button but as I have shrunk its moved by about 3 inches now above the scar where it was inserted. So halfway between between belly button and boobs. Like a little alien, it protrudes quite a lot, but I love it to remind me its there. Never had any pain with it at all ... Maybe I don't exercise enough :rolleyes:

I'm sure mine is more uncomfortable with wind. I have never burped since my op unless I've had some food stuck and been sick. After food mine feels a bit niggly once I move around it goes.. I can feel mine now the fat is moving.
I recently discovered Reese penut butter chocolate cups and have been over eating. I put a few pounds on (I haven't eaten any chocolate for 2 years) so I joined a 2 week boot camp and god I could feel my port then. It was hard work and used muscles I've never even noticed x

Port pain can be a nightmare.

I think in the initial period it's just standard healing which varies between everyone. I remember turning up at A&E double over in pain six weeks after my surgery and the consultant telling me that the little scars We can see do not reflect the depth of tissue & muscle injury that is underneath.

As long as there are not outwardly signs of infection I wouldn't be too worried.

Also because of the way the digestive system works we tend to get a lot of referred pain, so for me whenever I eat something I shouldn't and it gets stuck, the first place I feel pain is at my port site.

Good luck

So actual port site survey-

Left rib
Between Boobs
Traveling around somewhere

Any more to add..? :D lol

As for Port site pain - thanks guys you really have been very reassuring. :thankyou:

It's settled a bit now but, I tried to sleep on my tummy yesterday and couldn't. To describe the obvious - it felt like something was there on the bed underneath me - good news is I'm comfy sleeping on my left side now, so that's an improvement.

One thing that seems to aggravate it is when I sit and slouch - so therefore I'm consciously sitting here with excellent posture!

Thanks again guys xx

Back