• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POSE Surgery

I dont think you guys are being overly negative, you are being honest, and that is appreciated; it means that everyone else can make their choice fully informed.
Mine us scheduled and paid for and i am going to have it, but will discuss the points you guys have shared with the surgeon.
When I saw him he said that there were adjustments being made to the procedure compared to when he first did it (in relation to a discussion on clinical data) he talked about a feeling of fullness early on in eating but did not directly say I would stop feeling hungry, but that my food consumption would drop..... I eat far too much.....
He also said that loss may be slower than other methods but that in retraining eating habits it was hoped that the weight would stay off ..... I am a classic yo yo dieter and lose/regain the same weight repeatedly.
I guess it is the long term that sold it to me, and the fact that there seems to be no chance of future corrective surgery.
I really really appreciate your comments and hope you do continue to lose and reach your goals
I am also happy to put questions to my surgeon about cocerns, appetite, hunger etc
Take care
Tootsx
Hi Toots,
I was just looking at your comments again. Your surgeon says that the idea is to retrain your eating habits and it's "hoped" that the weight would stay off. I also had that said to me - but what wasn't mentioned was what do you do if there is no substantial decrease in appetite (yes, there is a bit but not enough). I'm beginning to feel like 'normal' as in the way I used to be which is not good. I guess you ask your surgeon what if, after the initial period, you find your appetite returning. Why would that be? I'd be interested in his response.
All the best for Monday - look forward to your posts after the procedure.

Lyn x

Thank you
That is a really good point and I will ask him and let you know, do you feel you are able to eat as much as before the procedure too?
I am nervous as I am scared of the anaesthetic, but excited that it will be done and really hoping it helps me reach my goal and improve my health
I will keep you posted :)

Ksinger......any news?

Tootsx

I wouldn't say I could eat a big meal but I could graze all day (nearly as much as before the op) but it's about 're-training'. I think that's a euphemism for willpower. But, yes, it would be a good thing to enquire about.
I understand your fears about the anaesthetic - it's never pleasant but do discuss with the anaesthetist such things as nausea, dizziness or anything else you've had previously. At least it's not open surgery so that greatly reduces the chance of infection. You'll probably be very thirsty and dry because your mouth is kept open for so long (endoscopically) and they'll give small sips of water to begin with. Again, good luck with it.
Lyn x

Hey everyone! Surgery day is fast approaching for me and my friend. She goes in early Tuesday morning and I'm at around noon.

I have a few post op questions if you all don't mind...
After waking up, how soon could you drink?

Is it tiny sips all day or can you drink normally? I hear with the sleeve that you can't really take a good drink of something for a long, long time. Hoping POSE is a different ballgame???

We will be on clear liquids for 4 days afterwards. While on clear liquids were you able to get in enough to not feel like you were "bottoming out"? I know sometimes I feel like my sugar has bottomed out or something when I go a long time without eating. I don't know that's what it is, I just get all weak, queasy, a headache and clammy. Hoping to avoid this right after surgery somehow.

Any tips/tricks you learned to get you through the clear liquid stage after surgery???

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi everyone, the hospital have given me a refund and i have made a formal complaint to the hospital which is currently being investigated. I have decided to no longer have the surgery and ive joined weight watchers and the gym instead, i only have about 2 stone to loose so im going to see if i can do it myself, and if i cant, i will reconsider the surgery in september, but perhaps look into a gastric band instead...we shall see!
xxxx

Hi everyone, the hospital have given me a refund and i have made a formal complaint to the hospital which is currently being investigated. I have decided to no longer have the surgery and ive joined weight watchers and the gym instead, i only have about 2 stone to loose so im going to see if i can do it myself, and if i cant, i will reconsider the surgery in september, but perhaps look into a gastric band instead...we shall see!
xxxx
That's great you got your money back - and so you should after all the messing about. Let us know how you fare at WW and what happens about your complaint. If it's only about 2 stone you've got to lose will they consider a gastric band? I've a feeling you've got to be way over with a substantial BMI before it's considered, even privately.
Keep posting.

x

Hi Lynda

How's it going with you .I'm sorry to be a bore but i am soooo regretting having pose and wish i had gone for a band or sleeve .I didn't lose again this week i am thinking something didn't go right with my op as you and i seem to be the only ones not feeling any different .Has anybody heard from Shax recently as we had our ops on the same day at the same hospital . I hope your having more luck than me .I was reading about some people having up to 17 anchors and i only had 9 do you think this could be the reason for our small weight loses. I did ask the nurse on friday and she said its all about re training your brain to eat less but that is just a normal diet and i didn't pay £8000 for a weight watchers talk .Sorry again about the ranting .

Hi Lynda

How's it going with you .I'm sorry to be a bore but i am soooo regretting having pose and wish i had gone for a band or sleeve .I didn't lose again this week i am thinking something didn't go right with my op as you and i seem to be the only ones not feeling any different .Has anybody heard from Shax recently as we had our ops on the same day at the same hospital . I hope your having more luck than me .I was reading about some people having up to 17 anchors and i only had 9 do you think this could be the reason for our small weight loses. I did ask the nurse on friday and she said its all about re training your brain to eat less but that is just a normal diet and i didn't pay £8000 for a weight watchers talk .Sorry again about the ranting .
Hi Liz

Please don't apologise - I'm in exactly the same place. I'm SO p'd off with feeling the same as before. Still haven't even lost a stone yet!!! And so hungry.

Will write again in more detail - not much time just now but wanted to acknowledge your comments.

Lyn xxx

Hi Liz,
Where do I start? I've been so disappointed with the rate of weight loss but also with the amount of willpower I've got to use - as you say, it's like being on a diet/Slimming World - and that's not what we paid all this money for. As you may have seen from previous posts I've been wanting to speak to my surgeon and yesterday I did. I wanted to explain to him my feelings, disappointment, frustration etc. What in fact happened was that I had to talk him through my eating pattern. He said that I now should start on 'proper' food (which I kind of had been) but having 3 meals a day. I said that I was concerned that that would slow-down even further any weight loss and he said, on the contrary, it should improve things........Trouble is; I wanted to get across to him the amount of willpower I have to use 'cos I get SO flippin' hungry. Don't know if he 'heard' me. I said I would do the 3 meals + small snacks (difficult because of work comittments) and suggested we speak in a month's time but he said he'd speak to me next week. At this point I have to own up. I was so depressed and p'd off after speaking to the surgeon that I had a major blow-out, eating bars of chocolate, ice cream and cake etc. I know, I know I shouldn't have and I'm only damaging myself but part of me thought; this shouldn't be possible anyway. Much later on I felt so awful I tried to vomit but that's not the same as before. Couldn't get it all up. Sorry for the graphic description. So that will mean more weight going on. Aaagghhhh!!!! Does it come down to not enough anchors being put in (11) because, as you say, they seem to be putting in more now. Bearing in mind our surgery was only weeks ago have they made such advances? You know, I also read about these fantastic weight losses on gastric bands/sleeves. I don't know whether I would've had these options but I could've got a face-lift instead! LOL

Lyn xxx

Is there any way you could contact me off this site to discuss?

I'm at work so can't write a long thread but I can eat so much and am having to use so much willpower to stop myself. And I'm sick of being told by the surgeon that it's more about re-training myself.

If I wanted to re-train myself I would have spent £150 being hypnotised, not £7k on surgery. I didn't pay this amount of money just to be given a diet plan and told to exercise. If I had the willpower to do that then I wouldn't have needed surgery!!

Done and at home

Hi there
I had the procedure on monday and am at home, back to work tomorrow. I had 10 anchors in the fundus and 3 in the body of my stomach. I have had a horrid cough and quite alot of pain since and feel sick alot. I am also v bloated- yuk, did not respond well to anaesthetic :(

So sorry to hear things are still not good-- how long since your ops + how much have you lost?

KayeKaye how did you get on?
Any other updates from others who have had POSE? It would be really good to hear how you are getting on. Shax- are you still doing well?

Take care
Tootsx

Is there any way you could contact me off this site to discuss?

I'm at work so can't write a long thread but I can eat so much and am having to use so much willpower to stop myself. And I'm sick of being told by the surgeon that it's more about re-training myself.

If I wanted to re-train myself I would have spent £150 being hypnotised, not £7k on surgery. I didn't pay this amount of money just to be given a diet plan and told to exercise. If I had the willpower to do that then I wouldn't have needed surgery!!
Niffnash, do you have a landline at home? If you want I could phone one evening.

Lynda x

Hi Lynda
Please don't apologise for anything we are all in the same boat .My nurse is off this week but when she rings i am going to ask her again about the slow weight loss .I got weighed tonight and hadn't lost again this week .I have a friend who had a gastric band 3 week ago ,and has lost the same as me already ,and never feels hungry, in fact quite the oposite . I really feel i was sold the wrong surgery.I feel like asking for a refund i even told them i wanted the easy option and was told that pose was just like a band without the cuts .Dont feel bad about over eating i did have some crisps last week and have been on 3 small meals for 2 weeks as i was told to do this .did you feel really full after over eating as we not supposed to be able to eat large amount without feeling really full .Speak soon
DONT BEAT YOURSELF UP ABOUT IT .

Hey Toots1. I had my surgery Tuesday afternoon. I'm doing fine. Tummy feels better each day. I can definitely feel some tugging sensations where the anchors are but they said that will go away in time. Gas and sore throat was the worse. I just now feel like I'm getting rid of some of the gas and the throat has improved each day. I've had some nausea but they sent me home with a prescription of Reglan and I've taken it a few times and have had no issues. I started getting hungry late yesterday but seeing as how I've not had anything but water/broth/jello since Monday I figure it's time I was hungry, LOL. Tomorrow I move to full liquids so I think with that I'll really be able to tell how much I can "eat" and how long before I get hungry again.

Oh, I had 13 anchors as well. Don't know where in my stomach they are though. My friend that had surgery the same day as me got 14. I think we are going to call the surgery center and see if they can fax/mail/email us some info or pics from our charts on our surgery. I would love to see exactly what's hanging out down there in my stomach, lol.

Hope you do great Toots1! Let's keep in touch.

Hi everyone! Just had my first meal replacement drink since surgery and now my heart rate is up to 120. I'm wondering if that is because it's been so long since I had anything with any substance to it that my metabolism kicked into high gear after drinking it for the first time? Just curious. Also, seems like things are trying to move along in the bathroom area now that I've drank it too. Anyone else have this happen after surgery when first moving to full liquids?

Hi Niff

Tried to send my email address as a private message but it won't allow me - probably because you don't have enough posts. Can you think of another way? Can't remember - did you also have POSE? If so, when?

Lyn x

Hi Lynda

I spoke to a different nurse last week as i've been so upset about different things about this surgery .I was furious on the phone but she was really nice and explained things much better than the previous nurse .It would seem i am going about this all the wrong way .I was sent a GI diet book which was full of things i dont like to eat but i bought another book that is like the GI diet book but has everything listed in low to high gi s .Since friday i havn't felt hungry after following this book and rules .I don't know if you were given the same diet to follow .This doesn't mean i am not dissapointed with the surgery i still feel i was sold the wrong course of action and still wish i had had a band or sleeve ,but it's a matter of sticking to a low gi diet .Yesterday i could have murdered pudding and custard in a restaurant that we were in but in actual fact i wasn't even hungry (eyes greedier than belly )Iwill now eat 4 or 5 small meals a day instead of 3 bigger ones she said not to go to long without eating. She said that the surgery had worked but it can take a while to get used to it Yes a also am p-----off with it all and would love a refund but that's never going to happen so it's back to bloody willpower that i don't have too much of . speak soon

Hi Liz

Thanks for the info. It's really good to hear something/anything about what we're supposed to be doing. I've actually got a little GI Guide book that I got from Tesco a few years ago. But, you know what, nobody's mentioned GI to me - thank you! In my post-surgery instructions it says to eat 'no less than 3 hours and no more than 5 hours between each meal' which is a complete contradiction to what your nurse told you. I prefer the idea of 4 or 5 smaller meals because I get so hungry. Wonder why the surgery take a while to get used to? Is it this "re-training" thing? You know, you're right - we won't get a refund and it is back to bloody willpower. Because I'm so disappointed with all this, willpower is at zero just now.
Keep letting me know how you're doing on the low GI. Speak soon.

Lyn xxx

Back