• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POSE Surgery

Hi everyone! I went for my Pre Op yesterday at Leeds Nuffield which literally took 10 minutes! they asked me questions on my medical history, took my height and weight and then took two blood samples, done! my procedure is on the 14th!! not long now! i cant wait!

For instance here is what I ate today:
Breakfast: Eggcream
2 almonds

Lunch: 3oz Turkey
1/2 oz cheese
2 almonds

Dinner: 5 oz Pork Chop
2 almonds

what is eggcream bruce? and do you have almonds skin on or off? what do u have in between meals?

do u fit veg and salads in?
sweet cravings?
exercise?

what type of cheese is good? chocolate?

Hi there
Thanks for info :)
I had long apt today and am now very confused re POSE v band; did you get any info about long term weight loss/ data etc?
I prefer the idea of POSE but like the data re bands and associated weight loss. If honest i am worried it wont work, but seeing these losses i can see it does
Any advice/comment most appreciated
Thank you
Tootsx

Hi Shax,

Sounds like you are doing well since your procedure!

I do exercise each morning - usually a 45 minute walk with a few jogs thrown in to up the heart rate.

An Eggcream is a type of smoothie I have for breakfast each morning and it keeps me full for 5 to 6 hours.
Everyone has their favorite recipe, but here's what I use:

Throw in a blender:
1 egg
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
2T Heavy Cream
2-3 drops Splenda or your favorite sweetener
Flavoring, for ex: vanilla extract, frozen strawberries or other frozen fruit
4-5 ice cubes (if you use frozen fruit, no ice cubes are needed)
Liquify, pour into glass and enjoy – this is sooo good.

I buy almonds raw, roast them in the oven with no salt and no oil. They are naturally sweet without the competing flavors and that is my "Sweet". I usually have 2 almonds after every meal.

Once in a while I get to eat some vegetables/salad, but usually by the time I've finished my Protein, I am full and not able to eat anything else.

If I have a chocolate craving, I use chocolate almond milk for my morning Eggcream and feel satisfied.

I eat High Fat/Low Carb and that WOE keeps hunger under control so I don't need any snacks between meals, and the POSE keeps me from eating too much at meals!

What has your doctor advised you on diet/nutrition?

HI there
I think I am going to be having POSE on 20th June...just waiting for confirmation re theatre space, times etc.....eeekkkk....
The nutritionist emailed me guidelines of what to expect to eat once my stomach has healed -

PLANNING YOU DAYS INTAKE

As a guide, each day you should eat foods from the following groups: -

Protein Group: 6 – 10 servings per day

1 serving is:
1/3 pint milk – skimmed or semi-skimmed
1 yoghurt sugar free (Shape or natura)l
1 Fromage Frais – natural
1 egg
1oz/25g meat e.g. chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, and pork
1oz/25g fish e.g. haddock, cod, salmon, prawns
1oz/25g tinned fish e.g. tuna, salmon, pilchards, mackerel tinned in brine or tomato sauce
2oz Quorn or Tofu
1oz/25g hard or soft cheese
2oz/50g cottage cheese
2 heaped tablespoons pulses – chick peas, lentils, kidney beans, butter beans, soya beans

Vegetables: minimum 2 servings per day

1 serving is:
100mls tomato or other vegetable juice
1 heaped tbsp raw or cooked vegetable
1 medium sized tomato

Fruit Group: 2- 3 servings per day

1 serving is:
1 heaped tbsp unsweetened tinned fruit (tinned in natural juice not in syrup)
1 heaped tbsp sugar free fresh stewed fruit – apple, pear, apricot
1 heaped tbsp soft fruit – strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackcurrants
1 medium sized apple, pear, orange, banana

Carbohydrate (starch) Group: 3 - 5 servings per day

1 serving is:
250mls vegetable soup
3 tbsp porridge or Readybrek (subtract 1 protein portion from your daily allowance if cooked in milk)
1 Weetabix
2 heaped tbsp Branlflakes, Shredded Wheat, Special K or sugar free meusli
1 egg sized potato
1 medium slice bread
2 - 3 crispbreads or crackers

She also talked to me alot yesterday about sugar/insulin and cutting all sources of processed sugar out of my diet, although no pre-op diet needed.

Ksinger, Hi! I look forward to hearing about your experiences too :)

Tootsx

Hi all

Well done shax that's a great weight loss .I also had my third weigh in .
Week 16 .2 Starting weight
Week 1 15 .4
Week 2 15.0
Week 3 14.13 .

Total loss 17 lb

I wasn't really pleased with this weeks loss but since it's early days i will hope that next week will be a higher number .I am trying not to get to obsessed with numbers .

Hi Lyn where have you gone to how did it go this week .Hope your ok .xx

Omg!

Hi all, just to let u know I got my period on Friday 3rd June 2011, first in three years. And first since I got married.
I'm 15.5 after being 19st for almost 2 yrs.

Very emotional, had forgotten what period pains r like!
Pose saved my life!

What is Woe? What do usually have for lunches and teas? Does almond milk taste better than semi skimmed do u think?

Hi All (Liz),

Yes, I'm still around. Weight loss continues to be very slow, at the rate of a about a pound a week. Still keeping to the rules (more or less) but these hunger pangs are still a concern. I feel quite envious when I see that Eastbruce is full and satisfied for 5-6 hours! It just doesn't happen so I have a Muller light inbetween and rely on willpower. I've also returned to the gym, going maybe 3 or 4 times a week, doing spin and zumba etc.. Even before POSE, going to Slimming World, I'd lose at the rate of 1-2lbs per week so I guess I was expecting quicker/bigger weight losses. I am going to discuss the appetite thing though with my surgeon next time I speak to him.
Congratulations to you all - you're doing awfully well with big weight losses.
Eastbruce: What is WOE and how tall are you? Your target weight of 120lbs (8.5st) sounds great - would love to get to that!

xxx

I can't do a long thread because I'm at work but totally agree with Lynda B. This operation hardly reduces your stomach capacity. I'm definitely less hungry than I was but I can still eat more than most people when I fall off the wagon. I come from a family of obese people and have 5 relatives who have had the sleeve. IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE BETWEEN THE POSE AND THE SLEEVE - make sure you choose the latter. You are guaranteed to be slim for the rest of your days and it looks very doubtful with the POSE. I have been completely compliant and am still losing weight (very slowly) but that is because I eat nothing but salad, meat and veg. But still large portions. I also mentioned my disappointment to my surgeon but he now says it was never really about restriction. Not what I got told before my op!

The op has definitely helped but it is not life changing and I don't think it is worth 7k. I wouldn't be whinging if I'd paid 2-3k but in all honesty, I feel ripped off and wish I'd held out for the sleeve.

I can't do a long thread because I'm at work but totally agree with Lynda B. This operation hardly reduces your stomach capacity. I'm definitely less hungry than I was but I can still eat more than most people when I fall off the wagon. I come from a family of obese people and have 5 relatives who have had the sleeve. IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE BETWEEN THE POSE AND THE SLEEVE - make sure you choose the latter. You are guaranteed to be slim for the rest of your days and it looks very doubtful with the POSE. I have been completely compliant and am still losing weight (very slowly) but that is because I eat nothing but salad, meat and veg. But still large portions. I also mentioned my disappointment to my surgeon but he now says it was never really about restriction. Not what I got told before my op!

The op has definitely helped but it is not life changing and I don't think it is worth 7k. I wouldn't be whinging if I'd paid 2-3k but in all honesty, I feel ripped off and wish I'd held out for the sleeve.
Niffnash,
Thank you, thank you, thank you - I thought it was me!! This is SO good to hear. And I was told appetite and capacity would be reduced. It cost me £8,500 and I'm feeling ripped off - but I didn't have a choice (I don't think). The feeling of fulness, which is a kind of heaviness in the chest area, doesn't last. So, at the time of eating, consumption is less but it still allows you to 'graze' later. That's why I mentioned willpower. I'm beginning to think this has not fulfilled expectations and, as I said, I am going to discuss this with surgeon. Wish I could've had the sleeve.
Niffnash, where and when did you get POSE done?
Sorry to whinge - but it's a lot of money without the hoped-for return.

Hi Lynda / Niffnash

I agree i'm now hungry most of the time it has been total willpower on my part that i havn't given in. I was told my appetite would reduce by up to 30 % .I paid £8000 for the op and now wish i had gone for a band or the sleeve .I am sticking to the diet but it's now no different than being on a normal diet .Yes i am disapointed.Ionlylost 1lb last week and am eating tiny potions .

Hi Liz,
Thank you for your comments, too. Really pleased to hear from you. Hmm - this is all very strange. I knew there was going to be some willpower involved but I didn't think it would be so soon or so necessary.
Do you think you're eating enough, Liz? Could that be the reason for the weight loss slowing down? If it's any consolation you've still lost way more than me - I can't get anywhere near a stone loss even.

Lyn x

Hi Lynda

Yes i agree i knew willpower would be involved also ,but not to this degree .I am hungry ,not as much as before but still enough to make it a bit of a problem .I may not be eating enough ,your right. I did ask the nurse but she never gives me a direct answer .I will insist on actual calories and amounts of food on friday when she rings .I think i have lost more because i'm much bigger with more to lose .But it's good that it's not just us who seems to be having issues .Iknow this all probably sounds really negative but i'm still hopeful for a full weight loss .

Hi Liz,

When you say it's not just us having issues, do you mean with the POSE procedure itself or other surgeries? If it's POSE then what comeback do we have - none, I'll wager.

Lyn xx

Hi all
So sorry to read about your disappointments; i would be really interested to hear what the nurses and/ or surgeons say. I am booked for the 20th and it is a case of this or nothing for me; i have a relatively low BMI at between 31 and 32 and, having looked initially at the band, reached this decision with my gp and family....what I do know is that doing nothing is not an option anymore! Although, if i dont lose weight it will be an overly expensive mistake, so am concerned.
When i met the dietician, she gave me examplws of food intake for the day, she also told me that band/pose/any surgery, i had to cut out processed sugar to succeed.
It seems that the different hospitals have given different guidelines too which does not help.....
Wishing you all well
Tootsx

Hi Lyn

I meant you and me plus others .I was having a really bad week when i wrote that message but its becoming worrying .I hope this passes and i do better .I lost 3lb this week so i should be happy but it was due to tiny amounts of food and a slight constant hunger .Does this sound familiar to you
.Total loss 20lb I'm now 14 st 10 .Still a long way to go .

Hi
I'm sorry if we sound really negative but given the choice again i would opt for the band or sleeve .Iam now at a bmi of 31 and at 5ft 7 thats quite big (female ) apart from a couple of people on this site i dont know of any other people that had the same op .It seems the band and sleeve take away almost all of the hunger so in turn make it easier to lose weight for life .Yes i wanted the easy option .Sorry again to be so negative .

Back