• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Possibly No Bypass on Sunday

I've just had a call from my hospital to say that the aneastheist has said that if my blood pressure is not down on Sunday, then he will not do my operation:(

I will have been on bp tablets from Monday to my op on Sunday, but my own doctor is not really very happy about it because when i take my bp at home, it is only a bit high and he is worrying about it coming down too low. But obviously it was very high when I was at the hospital and that is what they are worried about - not what it is like at home! They call is white coat syndrome, as soon as someone official takes my bp it goes through the roof, but doing it myself at home it is ok.

My head is now all over the place! Worrying about the money Ive spent on my flights and my time off work. Also saying goodbye to my kids, and then just going for a day out in Manchester!!!

As if I wasn't nervous enough about the operation, and now I am extra nervous about NO operation.

I've bought a relaxation thingy for my iphone, and will he asking if I can use it when I get my bp taken at the hospital as it is very relaxing!

Anyone have any nice calming thoughts for me on Sunday.

If I was you, I would do some practice runs by going to the doctors and sitting in the waiting room taking my own blood pressure. You may look daft but hey ho! I'd also go early to the hospital just to get used to being there, take my BP machine with me to the hospital and keep taking my blood pressure whilst waiting. Hopefully it will lower with this repetition and the 'white coat syndrome' won't be as bad. Hope it's OK for you.

Hello

Sorry to hear your operation maybe cancelled due to high bp. I know alot of people in this forum have had their operations even with high bp problems, I am unsure how high their bp was like before surgery , I am curious myself to find out (as I have high bp and on meds) how they will do the operation considering if they already knew that the patient suffers from high bp problems. Also at the same time I am sure they would prefer to do the operation as safely as possible rather then risk further complications etc. Someone who has been in this position will be along shortly maybe to give you some more answers. Hope all goes well for you

All the best - MeJulie x x

It was really high at the hospital, it was 214/120 I think, but here at home I get 140/85 - huge difference!

Me too sending you positive calming vibes, good luck.

Keep a record of what it is at home during different times of the day - and hopefully they'll realise you have "white coat syndrome" and be sympathetic especially as you have so far to travel.

Sending you calming vibes - ----------------------------

Angela xx

I don't know what to suggest really...is your BP usually alright when you go to your GP? Sounds like it might be as he sounded reticent about prescribing you the BP tablets...could you go to see him/phone him & explain they are threatening to cancel the op, maybe see if he can phone someone on your behalf? Perhaps they could get you in & let you calm down, then maybe get a nurse to snaeak by & check you BP once you are settled? I really hope it doesn't get cancelled xxx

Did they take it with a large cuff in the hospital because when I have had mine taken with the smaller ones mine comes out higher. I do suffer with high blood pressure anyway but as I say the cuff sizes do make a difference.

Hi everyone and thanks for all the suggestions.

Angie - My bp at my docs is usually about 180/120 but he knows that at home it is about 130/85, so he didnt want me on tabs in case if brought my bp down too low when I'm at home. I've got to speak to him on Friday morning to let him know what my readings have been since starting the pills, so I'll see what he says then.

I've been printing out 3 or 4 readings at home each day since Monday and I'll take them with me and see it that helps, but from what they said it will come down to what is it at the hospital.

To be honest I'm just going to try to stop thinking about it because it's stressing me out. I just have to accept that I will prob just be having a day trip to Manchester (five hours each way) on Sunday.

I'm going to be there really early and I'm going to see if they will strap the machine on and then leave me with my relaxation tape for a bit. It's really all I can do!

I will make sure it is the large cuff too, thanks Sharron!

I've been 'practising' with my bp machine at home lots today (and my arm is now turning blue!) trying different types of breathing and arm positions to see which gives the lowest reading! LOL! Not really getting very far, except big deap breaths are better that shallow ones!

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
looks like you've got everything covered

:)Good Luck Jacquie:)

i suffer from high bp and at all my pre op appointments my bp has been high, the nurse was told to take my bp again as it was high with a large cuff. and like by magic it was alot lower.

good luck for sunday x

Aw Jacquie what a nightmare. All I can saw is keep going with the relaxation tapes and try not to worry, hopefully everything will work out in the end. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

xx

Hi, I just want to wish you all the very best for Sunday, and hope that they can do the op for you, take care, sending calming thoughts your way xxxxx

Hiya, could you go to a hypnotist in time they could help you with your white coat syndrome maybe. Hope your BP comes down and you can have your OP, good luck!! xxx

Thanks guys, you are all so nice!

I'm just going to try to put it out of my head for the next few days, and see what happens!

Maybe my bp pill will sort it out!

Last edited:
Hi Jacquie
Sorry your blood pressure is playing up just days before your surgery, its prob the shock of sun and heat in Scotland over the last few days hee hee! Seriously though it is common for blood pressure to rise given the anxiety levels that you will be experiencing at this point. Not easy but try and relax and enjoy the sun in Crianlariach and def get them to take more than one reading. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you keep us posted xx

Thanks everyone!

Joanne - I've just booked a hypnotist for tomorrow!!

Bit scared, but I guess it really cant do any harm, and at least I will go the the hospital knowing that I couldn't have done any more!

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
They should allow you lie down while they take it. Well really lie you down then leave you alone foe at least 5 min with cuff on then take it once not allowing you to talk or talk to you. Then like some one else has said take it twice more leaving at least 5 min between each one.
I have this problem and that is how mine is taken at docs and hospital always comes down by over 100.

Hope all goes ok for you

Back