• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

High blood pressure?

Can anyone tell how big a problem high blood pressure is?

I have what my doctor calls 'white coat hypertension' in other words when ever someone takes my blood pressure it goes racing really high (214/120 at hospital), but when I take my own readings at home relaxed it is much more normal (135/90)

Anyone know if this is likely to be a problem with my operation?? It is on Sunday!!!

So far, they are saying no problem, but I dont know if I believe them!!

Jacquie, lots of us here have had high blood pressure prior to WLS and taking meds for it. If your doctors haven't put you on any meds then they must be content that its not going to be a problem for you. You'll be fine ! x

Can't really help you, but its last min nerves you don't want anything to go wrong. If they say its ok, im sure it will be. Hopefully someone will come along who was in the same boat. Good luck with your operation xxx

Hello

My friend was recently diagnosed with the same thing, and she was not put on any meds nor did the doctor think this was a problem.

All the best for sunday - MeJulie x x

i have high bp with all my ops its never been an issue x

Ok, the hospital has asked my doc to put me on high blood pressure medication (Lisinopril 10mb) from today at least until my operation. My doc is not thrilled about it, but he has agreed.

But I guess so long as the hospital is happy!

Are lots of other people on here taking blood pressure tablets then??

Hi

I am on ramipril for mine and have been for some time. Hope it all works out for you ... I must say that an usually high dosage for someone who has "white coat hypertension" am sure other will disagree with me, but my bp was higher then yours when I was given my first batch .. I was only put on 5mil But I am sure the hosp knows what they are doing.

All the best - MeJulie x x

All the best - MeJulie

Hi MeJulie
Dont really know, just have to do what I'm told I suppose.

I will be furious is they cancel my op, because I was there on Wed last week, had my blood pressure checked got the date for the op, with no query about my blood pressure at all. Then they phone this morning with this.

I have booked flights and time off work for an op on Sunday, so I just hope I get one!!

I'm on Ramipril and Doxasozine and it was no problem. They made sure I took my pills on the morning before the op but I didn't then take any for the next two days.

I was on six different types of meds for my blood pressure prior to the op. I had uncontrollably high bp for about 8 years. Since the op I have dropped down to just two types of meds a day and my bp is pretty much normal now.

The docs do know what they're doing most of the time, so don't worry too much xx

Jacqui, dont worry about it!

Normally i have excellent bp, at my pre op on April 20th my anaesthetist wasn't happy with my readings (which were well wonky) and put me on 2 different tablets for my bp! When the doctor checked my bp every week after it was fine, i kept taking the tablets and had my op last week, all was well!

Jump through the hoops, you'll be fine. Good luck on Sunday xx

Thank you, thank you, thank you Everyone!

You are all so helpful and caring.

I will be taking my meds and trying very hard not to stress about the possibility of being sent back home on Sunday with out my bypass!!!

Back