• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post bypass question

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Hi all,

Do any post bypassers know if/when I can start taking normal tablets again?

I did a 5 1/2 hour round trip in the car today and my ankles are absolutely killing me. If I don't get the pain under control before I go to bed it will keep me awake.

I have di-hydra codeine tablets which are very small (less than half the size of a paracetemol) and I was wondering if it is safe to take one?

I've had 5ml of liquid codeine but it nearly made me sick because it tastes so vile, there's no way I can stomach any more. I know the di-hydra works and I think it will be fine being so small but not sure :(

Hi all,

Do any post bypassers know if/when I can start taking normal tablets again?

I did a 5 1/2 hour round trip in the car today and my ankles are absolutely killing me. If I don't get the pain under control before I go to bed it will keep me awake.

I have di-hydra codeine tablets which are very small (less than half the size of a paracetemol) and I was wondering if it is safe to take one?

I've had 5ml of liquid codeine but it nearly made me sick because it tastes so vile, there's no way I can stomach any more. I know the di-hydra works and I think it will be fine being so small but not sure :(

hi there - have no idea....but wanted to bump this up for you....hope you are feeling OK :)

Debz xx

I asked the question of my surgeon but with the intent towards vitimins as i've not had much luck finding soluble, his recomendation was to wait 2 or 3 weeks for my new stomach to repair itself and then said i should have no problem with normal swallowing type, he then said if i really wanted to take vitamins in the next few weeks or needed to take any other tablet, then crush them up and mix with a teaspoon full of yogurt.

Now i'm not a drug expert but i do know that some drugs are slow release, so in this case crushing up wont work, if i were you i'd call your consultant or nurse and ask the question as they will should know better.

Good luck

Richard

depends if it looks like a paracetomol with no coating it can be crushed but if it has a suger coating like nurofen it is a modified release. I know it wont help tonight but you can also get it in liquid form.
HC

can't get it sugar free HC, have been through all the options with my GP and started with the codeine. The 5ml codeine I managed to get down has helped on a positive note, so will try not to take a pill unless it's keeping me awake.

the di-hydras are not sugar coated, and I'm 99% sure they will be fine. I can't be kept awake all night!

If its not sugar coated you can crush it and take it with some jelly or in some juice.
hope you get yr pain sorted
HC

Baba...

I'm taking Tramadol caplets and Paracetamol tablets with no probs at all... :)

I even took my Boots veggie A-Z capsule today :D

Hope all is well

x

The 5mls of codeine I had worked fine, so I managed to sleep :D The long drive isn't a usual occurence though so not going to go back to the docs to get something else. We looked at tramadol patches etc but they are 72hour slow release and I don't need 72hours of painkillers.

Happy I'd be fine with the tablets anyway :)

Back