• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Husband against gastric bypass op

*Helen*

Hi all

I'm having my gastric bypass op done in 4 weeks time, but my husband is dead against it. At first his was ok, but now he's changed his mind. He makes it obvious he is unhappy about it, but I don't know why. I thought he would have been happy for me to lose some of this excessive weigtht. He said at first it was because he didn't want to see me getting ill as I suffer from depression and he felt that I wouldn't obsorb all my tablets properly afterwards. I talk to the doctors about this and they siad as long as the tablets are small which they are, there wouldn't be any trouble. Then he said that because I won't be able to eat the foods I want anymore it would really get me down. I have explained to him that it would be different to just being on a diet where you are mentally be conscious not to eat certain foods and that physically I wouldn't want to eat the foods anymore, which I feel is quite different.

I'm being to worry that it is maybe because he is jealous. I think that he thinks that I will lose the weight and then find someone else and I have explained to him that this is not the case. We have been together 7 years and married for 5 years with 3 georgous kids, I don't want to throw all that away.

Mentally though I think this op will do me a lot of good as I will feel a hell of alot better about myself and gain more confidence.

Men you just can't please them. But I want to have the approval of my husband in having this op and for him to be happy about it. What am I meant to do?

Helen

Hi hun, he is probably nervous about the OP for you and doesnt want to put that worry onto you, he would rather you not put yourself through an op to be happy but for you its the right choice, maybe just re-assurance and time is all he needs. Take Care and good luck for the Op xx

Thanks Nicky

I know he's probably worried but no matter howmuch assurance I do give him he's still not happy. I want to do this not just for me and my health but for the whole family as well. I feel it will improve our quality of life and I will be be able to do so much more with the kids. With them being so young (2, 4 & 5) I find it such hard work just running round after them and don't have the energy to do much more.

I am due to have the op 26th June and just what him to be happy about it.

Helen

Hi Helen

He is obviously just very worried about you which is completely understandable. I don't think we realise what pressure we put on our significant others.

I'm on anti-depressants but hoping that after I've had the op and began to lose weight that I will slowly be weaned off them so that is another plus for me.

xxx

Back