• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op pain killers, injections etc...please help

susie7300

Not sure if I m posting this in the right place but here goes anyway:
I ve just got back from my Drs after dropping off my letter from the provider of my private band op. It basically states what i ve had done and what tablets theyve put me on. Now i was under the impression that whatever tablets they gave me at the hospital when i had the op...that was all i would need to take. Now is that the case or is it ongoing? i ve got a weeks worth of blood thinning injections, and 2 lots of other tabs for a week and then lots of painkillers. Does anyone know if thats all i need to take and then thats it or do i get my doctor to keep prescribing them...am a little confused now! Have left a message with my provider but still waiting on a call...just a little impatient lol. Also, with regards to the wounds and dressings, did you just check and change them all yourselves, I ve got a nurse appointment booked for friday to check and change so assume thats all i need to do! Any advice or any info that you were told would be great, thanks in advance everyone xx:confused:

Hi Susie

I was only given the injections, pain killers and something to reduce the acid. I havent had or needed anything else. Re the wounds I saw the practise nurse 6 days post op and she checked the wounds and also pulled out a stitch which hadnt dissolved. I kept the dressings on for around 3 days and wasnt given any fresh ones.

Hope this helps!

Cheers Mazza, thats what I thought...bloomin new doctor at my surgery is useless lol! I will pop and see my old one when i go to see the nurse on friday for my wound check! Thanks again mate x

Hi Susie, the hospital gave me the injections to bring home and also some painkillers in liquid form. My dressings were not touched untill the district nurse came to remove my staples and then I did'nt need the wounds dressing againxx

Cheers Gaynor, That's what I thought, but my stand in Dr has different ideas lol....i will be fine i m sure x

Am feeling really good thanks, just a little tired! Cant wait to be at the fill stage and back onto normal foods! You ok? ;)

If you are still in pain and are running low on pain killers of course your gp should give you some more! Are they refusing? If so I would be giving them a piece of my mind!

Can I ask what painkillers you get for post-op?

Rx

Hi Rose,
Have hardly taken any painkillers...havent needed them! They are co codemol i think but i have plenty! My doctor didnt refuse me any but was just a bit vague as to what I expected him to do. I have spoken with WLSG and they have advised me that I have all the stuff I will need so shouldnt need anything from my doctor anyway...so thats good! Hows things going with you? x

What are the injections for, does everyone have injections to bring home after a gastric band operation? I am due to have my operation at the end of september and was wondering today if i should get some pain killers in ready for when i have had the op, what would you all suggest? I hope you get sorted soon Susie with regards to your doctor, and well done on your recent surgery :) X

I have booked consultation for 27th August, and op for 5th September in Preston!!

I am so excited I can't tell you.

Thanks for asking xx

Rx

I would imagine the injections are enoxaparin or similar, which is a blood thinner. Most patients that go to hospital get them as a precaution and to prevent any problems with blood clots (DVT). The rates of these are shown to be higher in inpatients, I assme due to immobility. I don't know for definite that's what they are for, as the patients I care for are not getting weight loss surgery so if I am wrong I apologise now!

I sounds like co-codamol is what is recommeded as post op pain relief, and they work really well on me. I guess it will depend on people's pain threshold but can't hurt to have some in I suppose, be prepared etc.

Good luck
Rx

What are the injections for, does everyone have injections to bring home after a gastric band operation? I am due to have my operation at the end of september and was wondering today if i should get some pain killers in ready for when i have had the op, what would you all suggest? I hope you get sorted soon Susie with regards to your doctor, and well done on your recent surgery :) X

Hi Claire,
Rose is right they are blood thining injections, you get a weeks worth with WLSG. Co codamol are great and soluble too so easy to take.

Great news Rose, they look after you sooo well up in Preston, you have made a good choice. Am excited for you too hun, not long to go! Good luck xx :D

I have never come across co-codamol in liquid, just in dispersable tablets... they taste pretty awful too! With any luck we won't need them.

I am actually a bit nervous about giving myself injections, yet I am a nurse and I give injections all the time, how silly! I reckon I will end up getting someone from work to come and do them.

Rx

Hopefully we wont need them Rose your right but best to get them in just incase. I wasnt aware that you have injections after the surgery which is why i jumped in and asked ( sorry ) I have read loads on here but this is the first time i have come across anything to do with injections, oh well if i have to have them i have to have them lol i will just get my sister to come and do them who is diabetic as i really cant see myself doing them hehe. I hope everything goes well for your surgery, are you nervous about it? have you had your pre op yet?

Claire x

the injections arent that bad guys... I have to give myself 2 a day. The only problem i ve got is that i am running out of belly to inject now lol. Its a tiny needle and only stings ever so slightly when you remove it. The co codamol provided Rose are supposed to taste black curranty...not so sure they do tho lol x :rolleyes:

No I haven't, are we hijacking a thread here??

Apologies if so...

I spent a long time on the phone to the clinic today and arranged my consultation for the 27th August. The next available op day is the 5th August so I have put down a deposit on that date, and all being well at the consultation it will be then. If worst comes to worst it will be 2 weeks later.

If I was nearer I would come and do your injections for you, as I said I can do them to anyone but me!

Do you have dates etc arranged? (sorry if I have read that already but this is a really busy forum and I am only just getting used to it!).

Rx

Claire,

Who are you having your band fitted with? Private or NHS?

Back