• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post bypassers-please help x

Cherub08

I'm due for bypass surgery soon and wanted to check out with post bypasseers.......
how long did your recovery take? Ie when we're you able to drive again and return to work?

How has the bypass surgery changed your bowel function?

When did you commence B12 injections?

Thanks for your help!

Ruth x

I'm due for bypass surgery soon and wanted to check out with post bypasseers....... how long did your recovery take? Ie when we're you able to drive again and return to work? How has the bypass surgery changed your bowel function? When did you commence B12 injections? Thanks for your help! Ruth x

I was up and about after my bypass the very day after,infact the docs/nurses discharged me as I was walking about.
Recovery at home was a few weeks,couldn't hoover,lift just was careful(but it's been a long time to hard to remember)
I don't drive so can't answer that..
My bowel functions have changed..
I have B12 every 3 months but not sure when I started them.

If it wasnt for the plasters on my wounds I would never have thought I had WLS! I was mobile from the get go no wind or after pain I booked 8 weeks off work just to get pass the liquid/purees/soft food stages but I think if I worked in an office and not with disabled people I might have felt I could have gone back sooner
my bowels were sluggish no action for over a week and boy when it did start the pain was eye watering! Had to take shop brought stuff and drink prune juice still hurt like hell but things so much better now , I dont drive but I read others saying after speaking with their insurance company it seems to be based on been able to do an emergency stop safely ive read people saying a couple of weeks
not had B12 yet but due to have my bloods tested as im 4 months post op
hope all that helps you
forgot to add
even thou I felt amazing after the op I have to add I didn't realise how very tired I would be. I go out at least once a day ,go for a short walk to the shops only get a bag of shopping or a paper come back and would have afternoon naps which I really needed but that has gone now

Last edited:
I had 6 weeks off and needed it. It was my first surgery and went brilliantly but I was so tired.

I left hospital the day after surgery, popped into Tesco on the way home for a few bits the op was on a Friday I came home on the Saturday did a 12 hour shift the following Tuesday, but I work from home on a pc, I had no pain at all so maybe did too much - DON'T follow me lol I was just saying what I did but I'm a silly stubborn old cow :)

Mine was on the 16th dec i was moblie on the day of my op as was getting irritable sitting down!! I was out in the 18th and went for a small shop with my partner. Went out daily with family for a wonder. I then went back to work on the 29th. Had 10days off driving!! I would have gone back to work sooner if i could drive :) was very sleepy the first week once id been out i would have to have a power nap when i got back :)

HI THERE, I was bypassed August 2011 I was uo and abiut same day. Was not allowed home til 2 days after would have been able to come the next day but live too far away from hospital and had bad win pain. Cam e home 2 nd day after. I do not drive so I don't know about that, however I did go back to works after 2 weeks but I did no heavy lifting at all I did do too much in the 1 st week stretched up to peg out some clothes, spent the rest of the day in bed resting. B12 started I think within 1st 6 months have them every 3 months now without fail. Take your required vitamins daily, if you don't you can leave yourself open to being deficient and bigger medical issues further down the line. Well bowels can be an issue for most I think. I thought I had IBS before the op docs said not but I had the symptoms. Since bypass have periods of constipation and then periods where I can go naturally. After the op constipation can be a big issue for some I found sunsweet prune juice to be a godsend. Keeps you regular, some people suffer diaorhhea. I suffer form bowel colic when its bad its bad. I can go days without an episode yet an attack lasts for few hours and after 5 days I can feel normal again but the 5 days after I feel bruised inside. Apart from that I am fit and well and manage day to day life as I have always done. Good luck with the op hope it all goes to plan xxx

I left hospital after 24 hours (although was desperate to walk around after around 10 hours but they wouldn't let me walk until 12 hours). However I needed strong painkillers for about three weeks due to excruciating pain form one of the port sites as a muscle had been cut during surgery - a common but painful side effect of surgery where the pain lasts two weeks. I returned to work three weeks after surgery but felt ready to return a week earlier.

Back