• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post lap band surgery - what should i be consumning

Duchess_wobbles

Im taking my disgusting medication.

Im drinking fluids and also having a few cambridge milk shakes.

Should I be aiming for anything else?

Hi
What does your surgical team say to have ???? Everyone here has different advice given to them - I am a bypasser and I have to have soft wet food for 4 weeks then introduce more textures but you need to stick to what your team have said - didnt they give you any diet sheets post op info etc etc xxx

Did your surgical team give you any diet sheets for post op?

couple of questions that will help find some answers for you

• Are you NHS or Private?
  • If Private who is your provider?
  • Privater & NHS - who was your surgeon?
  • Where did you get your surgery performed
  • Finally if your private did you go for bargain or full after care package?
If you can let us/me know those bits we can probably help you as one of us is bound to have used the same "team" as you...will do our best to help babe, I know its hared and your in lots of pain but lets see what we can do to sort this part of your weight loss journey out xxxxx

they did but i have lost / forgotten.

I went private, prof mcmahon, nuffield hospital, the hospital group.

I get 3 band fills in the first year and several appts with nutritionist.

I spoke to my cordinator and she said fluid, smoothies, milkshakes. But I dont know if that means slim fast etc. I am seeing my nutritionist in 2 weeks.

Also - I used to drink 4-6 litres of sparkling water a day - ex cambridge / lighter lifer, I know im not supposed to have carbonated fluid but I remember i burped loads - Im wondering if i had some sparkling water if it would help me get the wind up.

Cakeybun someone mentioned you have pics of xrays of your wind - I couldnt find it though.

I will bump the post for you babe...hopefully some one who is on the sam regieme as you can now help you out....Im not suggesting that you do what I had to do but will find it as I typed it up some where and post it in a mo xx

thanks very much :)

I cant find my other post anywhere Grrr

anyway I was on liquids only the First 2-3 weeks this meant
  • Skimmed milk & Semi skimmed milk
  • Soya & goats milk
  • Oat and rice milk
  • Slimfast shakes
  • slimfast smoothies
  • Innocent smoothies
  • pure juice but NOT large quantities
  • V8 Veggie drink
  • Tea & Coffee
  • Bovril
  • Clear soups
  • soups that have been liquidised then strained through a fine sieve

I have now moved on to Thick liquids and Purees for a week or 2 getting thicker as time progresses..I can of course still have the above.
  • Very runny baby rice
  • sloppy scrambled eggs
  • Yogurts
  • Custards
  • Apple Puree
  • Baby foods (some of them are lovely especially the purees)
  • mash with gravy (to make it runny)
  • thicker soups with smaller pieces of soft veg or pureed soups
Soft foods 5-8 weeks
  • Sheppard's pie
  • porridge
  • soggy wheatabix
  • any minced meat as long as it has plenty of sauce/gravy
  • mashed veggies
  • mushy peas
  • fish pie (potato)
  • soft rice pudding
  • milk puddings
  • S?F jelly
  • stewed fruit
  • mashed banana
in the last week or 2 of this stage I will be moving on to more normal foods very slowly till I'm back to eating normally.

However some foods do cause some bander's problems these can include
  • Bread and bread products -some can when back to eating normally eat wholemeal toast
  • Rice
  • Pasta
  • red meat
  • pork and lamb unless minced
  • turkey and chicken unless cut up VERY small and /or chewed very well
  • Fizzy drinks
  • chewing gum
  • Booze - not recommended by my surgeon for at least 6-8 months
I hope this has helped but as I say contact your "people" and get them to send you another copy of your diet sheet as its so very important as they do differ from surgeon to surgeon a lot....

good luck xxx

thanks thats very clear and sounds like what they told me.

I think today I can move more. so i will look for the diet sheet. Plus I can call them tomorrow.

i think everyone has different regimes post op

mine week one liquids only
week two mushies mashed banana, yogurt, soft mash and gravy, boiled egg, scrambled egg
week three return to normal foods

i was told it like weaning a baby and not to linger on an stage but i have noticed alot of other surgeons prefer longer soft/mushie stages. same as after a fill iv return to normal foods next day some stay liquid for a few days!

Back