• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

im 2 wks post band - what should i be eating?

Duchess_wobbles

Im taking liquid and soft mushy stuff like custard, scramble egg, thicker soups.

I feel fine though. Should I be moving on to anything else??

Also why do you have to wait 6 wks on a fill? I see my nutritionist in a week or so - I want it done then.

Im having little pain and eating tiny amounts and slowly but I feel ready for more.

I was told 4 weeks on liquids, 2 weeks on sloppies. It gives the stomach time to settle back down (as well as the rest of your insides that have been cut and moved around). It will take 6 weeks for the stomach to get used to the band being in place and for the band to be nestled with the pouch on one side and the rest of the stomach on the other. It doesn't happen immediately the band is in place.

You don't want to rush the process, you could end up doing some damage to your stomach if you push food through before your ready.

Speak to your surgical team and see what they say, but I wouldn't rush it!

Not had Op yet, but my sheet says
week 0-2 liquids only, no bits to prevent break down staples.
Week3 & 4, Very small portion of soft blended food to prevent break down staples.

I'm sure most of us are given different advice.

We all get different advice but it is best to stick to what your provider or consultant wishes.

The reason you have to wait for fill is to allow yourself to heal inside and out. Hardly anyone loses much weight before the first fill but that is because until the band is adjusted by a fill it is inactive so to speak. The usual time scale for the first fill is 6-8 weeks. The earliest I have ever hear one done was at 4 weeks but that was done under x ray to make sure it was appropriate.

The restriction you have been feeling is from the swelling of the surgery.

This is a long game Duchess, patience is the key.

Talk to your providers, they are the best source of information for you at this stage.

Sorry did realise you were a Bander. I'm waiting for Bypass.

break down staples? what does that mean?

In that case from everyones advice I might have been pushing my luck then having egg.
I will stick to liquid / thick liquid until sat 15th when i see my nutritionist.

I just was figuring if it doesnt hurt it must be ok to try a little different consistency.

I am on 3 weeks liquid 2 weeks sloppy and then normal food after first fill.

It is not strictly true that hardly anyone looses weight before their first fill. In fact quite the opposite. The fact that you are on fluids and slops for 6 weeks you loose a lot of weight. It tends to stop towards the fill as you feel much better and you stomach is no longer swollen so their is no restriction.

I have been told that the average weight lose before fill is 1 stone. I have lost 16lb and have over 4 weeks till first fill.

Forgot to say that that was including pre op before hand. It's have been 5lb in 5 days since op.

Hi there, I was sort of highlighting that compared to when you have fills, the weightloss is slow to minimal in comparison as you don't have restriction and everyone's diet varies post op. Some of us have been very lucky with pre-fill weightloss but some of us haven't.

Sorry if I pigeon holed.:eek:

break down staples? what does that mean?

Sorry didn't realise when I commented you were a Bander.
Bypassers have staples in place, so some hospitals recommend liquid for up to 4 or more week to allow healing so staple don't break down.

as said every provider is different i was liquid one week sloppy 2nd week normal but not to hard foods week 3 then by week 4 normal completly. i was told to think like baby weaning except do it over 3 weeks not months lol

Back