• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Op Bowels Movement-Don't read if squeamish

Miss Tickle

Hi all,
Having opened my bowels for the first time post op yesterday ( 5 days post op) I felt lucky as I have read so much about constipation on here. Having surveyed the contents of the loo ( really don't read on if easily offended or squeamish) I did not feel so lucky. My poo was darkest maroon/black-like black pudding. I decided to not panic, but have had a look on line to see if this is usual but couldn't find anything. I went to the loo again today, same story . So I rang the hospital who said this was perfectly normal and may go on for some time.
Next time I went for a wee I noticed a streak of fresher blood, just a little, from my rear end ( I know, tmi). So I looked on-line again. I can only find one reference to black tarry stools and that it's a complication. But that's not what the ward said.
So please let me know if you had this post op so I know they're right. I'm not given to hypochondria but seem to be having a sudden outbreak!!

you'ved just gone through a major operation on your stomach/intestines so you can expect some blood/scabbing to be present ;)

Ru on iron tablets, if you are then it is normal.

Also don't forget you bowel was cut during the procedure and bleeding would have occurred, this will present itself as a black stool.

If you are not on iron tablets and you stool continues to be black see your GP. Otherwise don't worry.

Julie

I had some slight bleeding when I first moved my bowels post-op.
Was due to the fact that I wasn't 'going' as often, and when I did, the stools were very hard and difficult to pass.
Could be something similar? If it's fresh, bright red blood, general rule is this is almost an external bleed, and not too much to worry about. Darker, congealed blood is usually more internal.
If you're worried at all, or unsure, speak to your team.
xXx

Melaena stool is caused by blood being digested as it passes through your digestive tract. It is black, sticky, tarry and the smell will knock your hat off!! As suggested elsewhere is this thread, your first post-op stool could well be like this as a little blood from surgery is likely. However, if this should continue, you should see your GP/contact your surgical team.

Make sure you are taking your proton pump inhibitor (Omeprazole, Lanzoprazole etc) as prescribed as this inhibits stomach acid production and therefore prevents ulceration and acid damage to your GI wound sites.

HTH

Chris

I was the same. Hope you feel less worried soon. It is worrying though so you are not being hypochondric.
Lynne x

yep it's all normal hun. It lasts a few days and don't rule out getting abit loose for a few days. now that was a nightmare lolx

perfectly normal. As others have said, its blood from where the bowel was cut. Your poo should look more normal after the first week or so.

Phew! Thanks for all the info and reassurance folks. Haven't 'been' yet today but feel SO much better it's incredible !!!!

Normal and wont last long!

Yep, I had the same experience,, and most people I have spoken to who had a bypass also had the same.

It was not nice,, but the relief once I had 'been' was fantastic.

Jay

Back