• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op diet misery!

Maximoosh

Ello peeps! I am 2 weeks post op and if I see another ramekin of soup someone is going to get hurt! I had some mashed potato at nandos with extra hot peri peri last night (like bloody heaven but not sure it's great for the pouch) any suggestions???

What did your diet sheet say, I wasn't allowed things like mashed potato for quite a while after my op as I was on 2 weeks clear liquids then 2 weeks thicker liquids but as each provider is different its best to follow whatever it is you were told, its a tiny moment in time in the scheme of things even though at the time it feels like forever :)

Hi Maxi,.what kind of surgery did you have?

I am also two weeks post operation and started on puree/soft food today.
Had one and half scrambled eggs in the morning and just now had blitzed Bolognese sauce with some well cooked pasta and parmesan cheese. I did use ramekin because my head is still after big portions (like the 2 scrambled this morning). The Bolognese is slowly going down, a slight discomfort which means I had eaten too fast again
Your nando meal sounds perfectly fine - how was your after?

On my list it says mashed potato and gravy.... I substituted gravy for Nandos extra hot... I had roux en y bypass. The mash was fine and I've then followed it up with liquidised chicken in peri peri with mash again delicious and no issues so far but tbf I just ate. Can I have cottage pie and fish pie yet or is that later? Just struggling for different meal ideas.

I hsd cottage /fish pie just runny went down ok didnt have and to a degree dont have anything spicy as it now just gives me grief
the puree stage is a bit of a grind mine only lasted 2vweeks, easy to say now this end of the scale !

It really depends on what your provider says, mine was purée for 4 weeks and then mash for four weeks. So on my diet you can have things like fish pie, cottage pie but it has to be blended into a purée - so adding sauces or gravy to water it down. Sticking to a ramekin portion was also recommended for at least 8 weeks if not longer. I found things like sugar free jelly or ice lollies made with sugar squash helped too. I know each provider is different - you'll find people that have to have clear fluid for 2 weeks, other liquids for 2 weeks etc. It is always best to do what your provider suggests. Hopefully they gave you a diet sheet to follow? if your allowed purée, make it with 3/4 of it protein, it will fill you for longer and help with the losing weight but overall at the moment it about getting enough energy in you to heal and function. Spicy sauces might not be the best idea whilst you are healing as they could irritate the pouch but I was never told to avoid them in the long run and often use Nando's hot sauces in my cooking now. Drink lots if fluid too. Keep sipping as they say.

Thanks for the help, I do have a diet sheet but am just trying to figure out ways of having stuff that I'll like (I'm a mega spicy food fan) so adding nandos sauces helps me to enjoy the slop. I also may have pinched a few tea spoons of my friend's takeaway curry sauces on Saturday night, I miss the heat and spice.

You may miss them but the day and sugar in them is not going to be a good start for you. Make sure you're checking labels and if you're up posed to be on purée/ mash make sure your meals have that consistency.

This is a hard stage. Look after your little pouch it's still healing. Follow rules and you'll get the best results. Good luck

Mashed poatoes will easily fill you up , only a small amount is recommended , as having more protein is recommended, I would only have a teaspoon puréed with fish or meat,

I haven't had that problem with the mash.... I seem to be able to eat quite a big of it. Called hospital yesterday as this damn pain won't go away, might have to have another op as the surgeon thinks it's a trapped nerve, not so exciting.

I suffered with pains for the first twelve weeks. Turns out it was acid pains it was under my breast bone . Had no acid in mouth, but was put on lansoprazole and the pains went,
Just be careful with the mash you don't want it to stretch your new stomach pouch.x

Shelleymaria ive just checked out your photos, wonderful ,I wouldn't know it was you,!,
Congratulations,
I'm only 24 weeks in.

Back