• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre - op diet failure

I feel so frustrated and upset today. After I was refered by my GP to North Tees I started loosing weight by myself and lost a stone. At the seminar I was told to loose another 8kg for my weight loss target pre-surgery appointment. They gave me a british heart foundation diet to follow which was about 2700 calories a day...i know I am 24st but I think this is too much so I have been eating a bit less...around 1800 to 2000 calories. I go away with work a lot and so while I was away this time was careful to drink only water and the occasional diet coke, was careful with food and even went swimming twice. Having got home last night I was looking forward to weighing myself and confident I would have lost at least 2lbs. I was devestated this morning when scales said i had GAINED 3lbs. I feel completely de-motivated and confused. How can I not have lost weight. I may as well have eaten what the hell i liked and had a some alcoholic drinks instead of drinking bloody water! Last week I only lost 2bs as well. Someone of my size who has reduced calories and fat and introduced exercide whould be dropping lbs like hot potatoes...so why have i not. Its so early in this process to be having problems and I feel like a complete failure. I just want to loose the 8kg so I can have surgery and try and fix my life but at the moment I can't even do that.

Can anyone please tell me what the hell I should do because Im obviosuly doing something wrong :cry:

I have been given the BHF diet several times and never lost great amounts on it - I find its too carb heavy for me - I lose weight best when I cut right down on carbs and up my protein.

You have done really well losing a stone on your own already - try looking at what you were doing then - was it very different to the BHF diet plan?

Been a while since I was pre Op but the principles of calorie intake still apply I guess too few and your body starts protecting and conserving energy as it goes into starvation mode the diet prescribed would be the diet I would choose to follow x

Hiya hun im sorry to hear your struggling
I myself am 28 stone but 8 weeks ago i was 32:3 stone, the hospital im with dont require me to lose any weight but i thought it would be safer for aneastetic (how ever you spell it lol)
I have 800 calories a day and use my fitness pal app on my phone and keep track of everything i eat and once my calories are gone for the day i just stop eating, i know people will say its not healthy to have so little calories but it works and that what i need, i eat anything as long as i dnt go over, and i do NO excersise at all ( i find it to hard)
Hope this helps hun x

Hi hun personal question but are you due or on your period? I ask as this can make it look like you have gained weight when in fact you are just holding water and after your period you will lose it.

Hi witchingmoon. Yes I am due any day funnily enough...would that cause a 3lb gain? I'm also very stressed with work.

Yes it can hun my cousin bless her puts on a stone when she is due on. I also gain 2-4lbs even after the op they joys of being a women. So finger crossed after your period that 3lbs will be gone and so will another 3lbs.

it can really affect it, but also, weight can fluctuate between 3-5lbs within a 24 hour period naturally so try not to be too disheartened, but around the TOTM, it can really affect weight. But I hear you and get it, its hard when we aren't shifting. But, you may also see a difference if you reduce calorie intake, replace carbs with a higher protein. Avoid fizzy drinks even if sugar free as this can affect things too.

I lost quite a bit pre-op, so these are my tips....
Have a glass of water first thing on a morning, and again before every meal.
Don't skip a meal.
Try not to eat any processed food, especially not pre-packed sandwiches.
Cut right down on carbs - only 1 slice of bread daily
If you have your evening meal after 6, don't have any carbs.
If you feel hungry between meals, snack on apples, oranges, pineapple, cucumber, etc
Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for the support everyone! Feeling back on form today. Got some water retention tablets and 1.5lbs down already this morning. Also very closely monitoring diet this next week. Cutting back a bit more on carbs and upping the protein. Keeping calories at a sensible level and scheduling in some more exercise (I do struggle with this...so self conscious out in public :( ) so fingers crossed by the time I have appointment on 14th I will have hit 8kg target. Thanks again for all the support xx

Back