• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op diet

emma ruth

hyia every1 i had a gastric sleeve on saturday and i am struggling eating i am managing about 5 teaspoons of food is this normal i am scared of eating incase i am sick as soon as my stomach gurggles does this mean im full i dont really no i feel sick all the time cos of all the tablets and painkillers iam on can sum1 help please xxx

hey Emma, from what i understand you eat very little but often. Someone kindly suggested that i use an ice cube tray to freeze my soup as it really is that little at the start :)

I cant help with the when to stop thing though, as im not sure. Hopefully someone will come along with some good advice! xx

Im not a sleever but there are some really succesful sleevers here who will probably see your post and repond to you....I know after the bypass you can only eat a few teaspoons of food at first so it is probably right :D XX

Hi I'm 3 weeks post op from a sleeve I was eatin like that it sounds normal to me. Drink plenty of fluids and try and get as much protain as poss I lived on tomatoe soup and yoghurt fir 2 weeks but it worked for me little and often.
I tried some soft pasta this week but it just got stuck and then it came up big it was ok ifs not like u gotta bug
Good luck with the recovery I'm now 2st 2lb lighter in 3 weeks and my diabitias has just gone which for me is amazin look forward to your new life xx

When I'm overfull - it feels like a lump in my chest - I get lots of saliva rising and often just a little bit comes back - that bit that was too much.

I was on fluids only fot 2 weeks post-op (but I had ahd a duodenal switch) but I was only mananging very small amounts at first.

I was advised to use a straw to get enough fluids in - it stops you gulping (which hurts).

I definitely knew (and KNow) when I'm full and have had too much ;)

xx

Hi Emma , im a bypasser but I sometimes get the gurgles when I eat it can be uncomfortable sometimes so I just sit for a minute and then try again and usually I'm fine, I think it's just wind moving on from your stomach , also I'm not sure what meds your on but you can sometimes change some of them if they make you feel sick xxx

I was told never to use a straw as you swallow too much air???And shouldnt you still be on fluids you are still only a few days out?

when i had opperation on the saturday i neva had anything then the sunday it was just water but monday iwas allowed very runnie porridge and cup of tea for breakfast which was a struggle then for lunch half tin chicken soup which only had a few mouthfulls then i was allowed home and the diet sheet given gave a list of pureed food for 4 to 6 weeks then soft foods for a following 2 weeks and week 8 should be on normal food xxx

Hello Angel, thinking of you and hope you are getting plenty of rest.... I'm only 5 days out of a bypass but keeping to plain water, up to 2 pints daily, green coffee made with milk and added marvel, bovril, consomme clear soup, horlicks light, muller light yoghurt, nas squash and this is for 3 weeks. I'll be sticking to it too... since the surgeon told me to have nothing with bits in it because of healing and internal stitches... bits can dislodge the stitches and cause complications, he told me, so I'm sticking to this and just having several light meals a day and resting as I need.

Plus 2 fast tabs a day. My oral meds are in liquid form too for 3 weeks.

I know every area works differently and it may be different for a sleeve, it may be a good idea to track Mixxy and send him a message for more advice.

Love and hugs Angel, good luck xxx

Hi Emma, I had my sleeve on tuesday so I'm 4 days post op.
I'm not eating alot each time either but to give you examples of what I've managed its probably not to different, a quarter of a tin of a runny tomatoe soup and then different meal times a shape yogurt about 3/4 of and the same with the activia ones. the activia fruit smoothies about a third of a small glass.
Its taking me about 15 mins to eat at each sitting, and its very small amounts I take off the spoon each time, if you can take your time over it you will stop when you feel contended.
Don't forget your stomache is still swollen from the op so even though its designed to hold about 200ml you'll find the capacity is less now until its finished recovering.

Hope this helps

Andrea

Hi there,
from what i have read different hospitals do different diets. i had a bypass on 31st jan and on 2nd feb i was told pureed food to custard consistancy mainly protien for exampe:- tinned mackerel with mash and phillidelphia light about 2 tbls for a meal and between 4and 6 meals per day. I thought that i was eating rather a lot so rang the nurse and told her what i had eaten and she said i was doing fine. so my advice is to follow the instructions you have been given

At Sunderland you only have liquids for the first couple of days , they only let you home if you have managed to eat something xxx

thanks bobo it must be different hospitals do different post opp diets thought i was doing it wrong thanks xxxx

i had a bypass 11 days ago and to start i was nly having a milky protein drink for breaky , then 200 mils of soup for lunch ad a yoghurt in the evening. Yesterday day 10 i was aloud to start puree food, so out came the blender an d i had mash, peas, carrots and cauli all blended too with in a inch of its life x good luck just becareful exact what way your eating eg liquids/ puree etc as you can stretch you pouch and then that could cause leaks x good luck xx

i had a bypass last april, and to be honest, the thought of all the work done on my stomach put me off the thought of actually eating food, i was quite happy to do 3 weeks on a liquid diet, cos i actually felt more healed when it came to go on to purees.

thanks every1 my mam lent me her little chopper from QvC its brill so well and truely blended im eating really slow iv managed to eat half a tin of small weight watchers country veg soup for tea today and it was lovely i got weighed when i came out of hospital and i was 116.3 and i am now 108kg so im really chuffed i rang the dietician today her name is kim common she is a lovely woman she asked me to try and squeeze a few yoghurts in so i will but just dont feel hungry and another thing girls and boys did you have the runns because i have but it she said it could be everything settling down and the medication plus iv got thrush in my mouth haha i sound lke a wreck xxx

Back