• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op Liquid diet.

AA1234

Well I am in week 2 of 3 week liquid diet and it is really starting to get to me now. I just want something to chew, anything at all. I am really finding hard to get the liquids down me now. The shakes take for ever and the yogurts and I am even gagging on them.

I understand the need for the liquid diet and it will be worth it in the end to make sure I get the correct recovery. I am just so tired and weak because I am just not getting enough calories in.

Any NEW liquid suggestions? I have had enough of shakes, soup and yogurt.

snap!!! to everything you said soontobethinsue! im 2 weeks into 4 weeks of liquid and its driving me round the bend its prob as ive also had 12 days pre-op of liquid only that now after 4 weeks i need to chew something.... i think i have forgotten how!!!! any ideas of new liquids would be fab!! x

Hi ladies,

What about sugar free jelly? I found that helped me immensely. I know it's not a hard chew, but it is texture.

Or freeze sugar free squash or yoghurts in ice cube trays.

thanks for the advice!! but i personally really couldnt tolerate any more jelly as i was on a soup and jelly pre-op diet and the stuff had me gagging (sorry) id never thought about freezing the yougurt thanks!! x

Hi Sue

I suggested this to HM yesterday, when I got to 2 weeks post op I rang my dietician and I was allowed to move to sloppies. I know each provider is different but it might be worth a try!

Maz x

Well I am in week 2 of 3 week liquid diet and it is really starting to get to me now. I just want something to chew, anything at all. I am really finding hard to get the liquids down me now. The shakes take for ever and the yogurts and I am even gagging on them.

I understand the need for the liquid diet and it will be worth it in the end to make sure I get the correct recovery. I am just so tired and weak because I am just not getting enough calories in.

Any NEW liquid suggestions? I have had enough of shakes, soup and yogurt.

If you add Psyllium husks to the shakes and blend them, you get a nice thick shake and can even spoon them instead...Makes you feel like you've eaten something...Psyllium so so good for your digestion and it has no cals, no carbs either...will make you feel fuller.

~X~

I'm just going into my fourth week on the milk diet and am also having problems getting the milk down now. I've tried everything I can think of to vary the milk like adding Cardamon, nutmeg etc to warm milk, freezing it and adding essence like strawberry or vanilla to cold milk but still can't get that last pint down.

is it only certain yoghurts you can have??
when i was at slimming world i made ice cream with blueburry muller light and its really nice put one pot in a tub in the freezer every 30 minutes stir with a fork till its set..yum yum

Hi Sue

I suggested this to HM yesterday, when I got to 2 weeks post op I rang my dietician and I was allowed to move to sloppies. I know each provider is different but it might be worth a try!

Maz x

This sounds like a plan, if you are not feeling good because of what you are eating you might need to move on. Ring you dietician and see what they say.

Its odd how different each surgeon does this, as I have said before, mine does days 1-3 clear liquids, days 4-7 mushy and then from day 7 re introduce normal foods slowly. It has not harmed my band and I am doing well. Also my band was not stitched into place.

But talk to your team, they are the best source of info for you.

Hi, I have a 2 week check up on Thursday so I am definitely going to ask about moving on. Even if it is just ready break and scrambled egg. Maybe some mash potato.

I never thought I would grave such foods lol.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Definitely going to try frozen yoghurt.

I only had to do two weeks liquid diet pre op and I know just what you mean. I made fresh milkshakes with skimmed milk, bananas and strawberries and also got some fab soups with bits in and liquidised them and they went down a treat. Call your Surgeon - sure you can go on to a soft moist diet now - it makes such a difference!

Two weeks post op is about the right time to be starting to transition from clear liquids to sloppies, and by sloppies i mean loose scrambled egg, baked beans with a bit of mushed up fish finger etc, we only do liquids post op to allow the joins to heal up inside properly and any swelling to go down.
But as always take things very slowly, chew everything you consume up, and if you feel any pain or something just doesn't feel right stop and go back to liquids for a bit longer - everyone's different and only you will know what your body's telling you !

Good luck

I'm now week 2 post op liquids (and remember I did 4 weeks pre op), I now swear by Rusks mashed up in milk - you can go for different consistencies - I'm now doing mine a little lumpy, just I have something to chew on. Have to say, if you're gonna get Rusks, get the original, there are less calories in the original then the reduced sugar ones (which have more fat than than the original)

VIVA LA RUSK

I'm now week 2 post op liquids (and remember I did 4 weeks pre op), I now swear by Rusks mashed up in milk - you can go for different consistencies - I'm now doing mine a little lumpy, just I have something to chew on. Have to say, if you're gonna get Rusks, get the original, there are less calories in the original then the reduced sugar ones (which have more fat than than the original)

VIVA LA RUSK

Hi Corey

May I ask if rusks actually have any nutritional value for you though?..and are they a bit high in carbs too?

~X~

Hiya, I'm on day 13 post op liquids and on my dietary advice sheet I was give it says I can go on to soft foods on day 14 and I really feel ready for it too as I'm constantly hungry this week even though I found the first week easy. Try it and see how you feel

Back