• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op injections!? what for

los in it

evening all,still here reading old posts and I saw some talking about having to take injections post op and doing it themselves!!! is that still the case now
what are the injections for
how long does someone take them for
I guess I should not always read old posts you never know what you may come across !!

After surgery you will need to inject an anticoagulant to prevent dvt. It is a subcut injection, straight into the stomach or thigh, so you don't need to find a vein.
I had one a day for a week, but know someone who had to do it for 40 days after having a band fitted - hospital protocols vary widely!

Dont worry I have asked my local GP Surgery for a 10day request for the surgery nurse to inject me daily. which although im going private have agreed. :)

Thanks Sarah! I kind of was hoping it was some old thing that use to happen but the after care had gotten better and no longer needed to do that,oh well happy days ahead!

I think this is given to people which periods of inactivity. I was hospitalised with asthma so had to have these injections to prevent clots as I wasn't moving. Better safe than sorry. Don't rub injection site though or you'll go black and blue!

Not all providers and not all methods of surgery require it to be done, and it is often dependent upon the individual too. I had one the day of surgery, I didn't have any further, yet someone I know who had a band with the same provider had them for a week.

I only had them when I was in the hospital and it was done by the nurse. I have had all 3 surgeries and I never had to inject myself....I think I would refuse! Yikes lol

Hi Maxi - I only had the injections when I was in hospital (4 days total - Tues am to Fri pm). I was discharged with the dreaded stockings tho, with instructions to wear them for 4-6 weeks!

Hi I had them 5 months ago after my bypass. Twice a day for 10 days and they are so tiny you don't even feel them. I did the in my tummy. Or should I say roll of fat. Didn't even feel them. I was nervous the first one but as long as you don't push them in slowly ( which I tried ) you can't even feel them.

I had to use them once a day for 2 weeks. It didn't hurt. If your provider uses them then you will be shown how to do them. They sting slightly but not a lot. You get a little box to put them in and honestly wont find it a big deal if you need to use them x

Back