• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PostOp Diet - 1 week down.

Anon1986

So, I'm hating the post op diet.

I can now eat an entire pot of Ambrosia fat free custard (150 grams) 138 calories. My normal day has been about:

3 meals, not always same order:
Half a muller light.
Pot of custard.
Sugar free jelly.
nas milkshake.

While I'm not feeling hungry, I do long to actually eat something instead of drink it and it's only been a week. I actually enjoyed my pre-op diet, ate small amounts but some nice food.

I had half a tin of Baxters Chicken Broth last night, used a siv to remove the bits. I did enjoy it, but it's still a bit empty.
14977011_H.jpg

My op was a Gastric Wrap and I'm just wondering how long until I can treat myself to a some of soup without removing those bits. I read week 3-4 means I can have mushy food, blended etc. But would you have to blend that? the pieces are fairly small and everything inside it is also soft.

I should note, my soup tins are not that huge :sign0007:

I'm on pureed and feel the same. I think this is where we need to draw on all our resources as head hunger is peeking through. I actually emailed Michael about much the same last week on liquid diet, he said hang on in for next few weeks while working through the stages.

Maybe you could think about having more soups rather than yoghurts and custard, and have a couple of extra meals in there too, as you are taking in so little you can afford to do this calorie wise. Remember liquids empty out of stomach quicker too. Hope this helps, I can't wait to move on to solids.

I'm on pureed and feel the same. I think this is where we need to draw on all our resources as head hunger is peeking through. I actually emailed Michael about much the same last week on liquid diet, he said hang on in for next few weeks while working through the stages.

Maybe you could think about having more soups rather than yoghurts and custard, and have a couple of extra meals in there too, as you are taking in so little you can afford to do this calorie wise. Remember liquids empty out of stomach quicker too. Hope this helps, I can't wait to move on to solids.

Do you think that soup would be fine on Pureed?

That image really is large, but the pieces are small and all the veg/potato in it are mushy when cooked well. So would mush as you eat, the chicken pieces are tinier than the veg so not worried much about that.

I've had chicken/sweetcorn soup blended down and also tomato soup straight from tin. Deborah did say to sieve soup to start with so it was mainly clear but she was talking about when we got home, but I've not had any problems with the soups I have had.

If you are unsure, I would just try and mash the veg down or blend them in, as long as soup has loads of liquid and veg are mashed/blended they should go down ok.

In the puree stage I should be ok with Mash Potato right? The docs I have mention it during soft food but if made properly, or from smash, I can't see it being any thicker or have any lumps in that puree food,

I think some finally blended mince would work with it, 2 tablespoons of mash and 1 of minced meat sounds like a nice big meal at the moment. I think I'll stick with just mash for a few days though.

I do love Shepards pie, but wouldn't want to make and then blend it.

Tried smash and I felt full for about 12 hours, was a nice feeling. But I hate the after taste of smash.

Tried real mash home made, with some butter. Had it extremely running but about 2 spoons in I felt 'wrong'. Felt like a cork was lodged in my stomach for half the day. I think I shall give it another week before I try that one again.

Anon1986 said:
Tried smash and I felt full for about 12 hours, was a nice feeling. But I hate the after taste of smash.

Tried real mash home made, with some butter. Had it extremely running but about 2 spoons in I felt 'wrong'. Felt like a cork was lodged in my stomach for half the day. I think I shall give it another week before I try that one again.

I have weight watchers frozen mash it's got spring onions in, it's so nice and only takes 2 mins in microwave and only use a small amount so no waste :) x

I started on the sloppy stage today, had potatoe put through a ricer so no chance of lumps, added grated cheese put 2 small scopes into a bowl and flooded with yummy Bisto onion gravy it was sooo lush !! had been longing for that for ages :) all went down well and the half weetabix flooded in milk this morning was fine, think almost smooth soup texture at this stage, getting dryer at the end of week 2.

I think ima try mash again tomorrow night, less butter this time. I could have felt weird for it being too rich after eating nothing but yoghurt and custard for 2 weeks.

If you want to make mash sloppy without using butter try lurpac lightest it's the lowest fat content I've found add a little for the flavour & then milk to make it sloppy. A little cheese will add flavour & protein to.
Add extra flavour with gravy it keeps it moist to as Dawn says, as well as putting it through a ricer is a great way to ensure your mash is smooth & lump free.
A few teaspoons at a time is a gentle way of introducing your pouch to solids listening to it tell you it's had enough before you get the over full or stick feeling is an art you have to learn the hard way.

I've been eating the odd muller corner with bits in, as I grew bored of muller light for a few days. But you can crunch those to powder in your teeth easy enough. Although the calorie and fat content are a tad high.

Bump Bump :)

Eating solids now, but I can't seem to remember to actually eat. I get hungry, but only once a day. And after eating I can't even look at food for a good 6-7 hours. And yes, I know this is a terrible thing. I'm trying to force myself to eat breakfast and I do manage it some days.

These past 3 weeks I've really naughty, yet still I lost 5lbs (I guess I really DID eat too much pre-op).
I've done no exercise, had 2 bottles of 50cl Aftershock (Was 2 parties, poor excuse I know :() and eaten my fair share of Nacho's and dip.

So, I thought I'd come give a status update admitting to how useless I've been at dieting. I'm extremely surprised I've had no weight gain, still 1lb lost this week. If it continues I shall quickly regain though :(

Last edited:
Oooooh guys, spare a thought for me. I've had to repeat my fluid stages due to my stretch. First week of fluids now completed. Just hate it. Not a bit hungry but still don't want soup & fluid etc. love the sound of a little mash & gravy but 2 weeks away yet boo hoo.
Having awful indigestion today nothing shifting it & almost run out of peppermint water uuuurgh.

Back