• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OK it's confession time

slimmerkay

I haven't ditched old habits at all :(

I went to MacDonalds yesterday and had a quarter pounder :eek: I took the top half of the bun off and only managed nearly half of the burger and bottom bun and about 8 fries. So not a lot but why did I have to have this? And a few days ago I had a sausage roll from Greggs - a whole one :eek:

Also I have discovered I dont dump on sugar. I forced myself to eat that horrid protein bar the other day and it had 17g of sugar in it. Took me an hour to eat it mind but still. I can also eat custard creams, chocolate, ginger biscuits. All small amounts compared to before op but the point is - I SHOULDN'T KNOW I CAN EAT THESE THINGS!

This is one reason I am so happy to find the Atkins protein bars because I feel I have had something sweet and naughty but I'm getting my protein. Hopefully now I'll stop picking at my old "friends".

So apart from mal-absorption and having to eat small amounts I'm not actually doing myself much good. I still want to eat the wrong things and I'm still picking. I haven't learnt a lot have I?

Feel free to bash me and slap my wrists - I fully deserve it :(

Aww mate its the not the end of the world...so you had a burger, a few chips, a few biscuits and a sausage roll...they wernt all on the same day at the same time as Im sure you would pre-op...dont beat your self up...its been said time and time again that they dont operate on our heads so its no doubt you will be craving and eating bad things at times.
Its also been said many a time that this is not a diet we are on...if it was then we would not need this operation as we would have weight watched or slimming worlded our way to teeny tiny and healthy!
Yeah OK so its not the best in the world, but a treat of a biscuit here and there aint so bad, for me its crisps ans has been from about 3-4 months post op - apart from the breat and the chips - a burger aint so bad either, and I bet you were nice, full and satisfied (pouch wise) after you ate it - so that isnt soooo bad! The sausage roll well OK - nowt in that, but hey ho - think what you would have eaten pre-op?
Look the way I see it is that this is for life and although there are people out there that never let ANYTHING bad past their lips and get to goal and are very happy, but there are also people out there that struggle to get their heads round the op (myself included here) and do eat the wrong things every now and then. For me so long as it isnt all day every day, and that these items are seen as a treat and not a normal way of life again - then they still get to goal too.
You posted this so your clearly feeling bleugh about it - so either make the choice of forgiving yourself, and having a few good days back on track, or beat yourself up about it, feel guilty and feel bad...For me I know I chose the first option.
I hope what Im saying makes sense and I know I am rabling on a little...its just hard to express writing down lol.
Hope that I've helped a little and good luck for getting past this :)
Sally xxxxxx

Oh thanks hun. That has helped a lot. They were treats. I'll keep in mind to be good generally and allow myself a little treat now and then. Thanks :D

Thats how I see it mate - its a treat and we all need a treat. As I say there are some fab people on here...mainly the lads that never let a bad thing past their lips and thats great - but Im not like that, and I know many of my bypassers friends are the same, so dont beat up about it...enjoy the treats for what they are - treats, and if poss treat yourself to protein based thingymajigs :)

karen, like sally said hun, we arnt on a diet, and when you think about it, your still gonna be losing weight, even if it comes off slow, it will come off, this is now a way of life, and i dont know about you, but there is no way i could have a way of life, that didnt include a few treats, and naughty nibbles, as long as its weighed up and balanced. so you have a naughty nibble,then u make sure you eat healthily for the rst of the day and the next, you could even incorporate a naughty nibble into each day, as long as you balance it with everyting else being healthy.
dont feel guilty, just make this work for you.
big hugs n snuggles xxx

The op does not take away the crave to eat things that made us over weight in the first place , some people are very lucky and can adapt to the new life after surgery some find it a little harder to adapt and have blips along the way , myself included. But knowing where you going wrong and nipping it in the bud early shows that you dont want to go back down the same old route, you will have good days and bad days and looking back the good will out way the bad dont beat yourself up about it as that will make things seem 100 times worse just see this week as a new start x good luck hun i know at times its very hard as iv been there done that and got plenty t-shirts lol x

I agree with all of the above, Im only 3 weeks out so Im still in the angelic stage and obviously I will never et anything bad pass my lips :eek: Now for the truth lol...we are still normal humans so we will make human mistakes! Even lifelong slim people have treats and as long as its not all day every day you should be fine.....or you could be an angel like me ;) XX

Thanks ladies. It helps to know I'm not the first (or the last).

The thing is I would never have chosen a sausage roll at Greggs pre-op but I can't always manage bread so didn't want to chose a sandwich. Should have gone somewhere else :(

Like Dotty I'm only 3 weeks in but hardly angelic!! If it makes you feel any better I had few bits a kebab meat & chips dipped in garlic sauce last night. My son had gotten a kebab & it was shouting my name.

I'm embarrassed & disgusted to say that I don't even like kebab meat!!!

You're not the only one Karen!!

It's understandable I think to want to put yourself to the test... we are only human... I would be just the same... at least you have recognised it and you can get back onto track... whatever you are doing you are doing well, your weightloss is excellent and your pics look the same! xxx

Karen, all i'm going to say is your not alone..........! :break_diet:

Lol....if you are going to have a treat at least pick something you like ;) xx

Exactly Jacqui!! That's why I can't believe I even ate it. Even the bairn was shocked 'cos pre-op I would have rather have eaten my own hand than a bit of kebab!!

At least after all my agro at the weekend I didn't succumb to the chinese, rose wine & chocolate that I really wanted!!!!

Karen... I'm the same infact at the moment I feel like I want to eat all the things that i shouldn't be eating.

I've done a post on dieting or eating like a normal person b'coz I'm unsure what I'm meant to be doing... should we be restricting what we eat or eating like a normal person where we have a little of what we fancy as a treat only??

My dietician suggested getting rich tea biscuits in as a treat & I find them calling to me & want to dive into the barrel headfirst like I used to... I think alot is habit & we now have a tool that means we can't go back exactly to how we used to be.

Guilt is a real killer & I don't think we should beat ourselves up about it but recognise whats happened & move on!

Remind me of this pls. xx

OK you had a burger and fries, a few biscuits here and a sausage roll there..............is it the end of the world? heck no. Is it a good idea? heck no

Some take the view that WLS removes the need for us to diet and its a dangerous one in my view. Post op we are on a diet for life, the surgery just makes it a little easier. OK it might not be as harsh as the diets we've been used to pre op, but we need to watch what we eat forever if this is going to be a lifelong success.

You are in the honeymoon period now and this is the key time in determining your long term success. Not because you won't lose weight eating the odd "treat" because in the early days you can eat crap and still lose weight, its key because right now while your pouch is at its most effective is the time you should be using to change your relationship with food. Easier said than done I know trust me I've been there as has every post opper.

Treats are fine if they are occasional, the problem is none of us have ever been able pre op to control ourselves where food is concerned, so unless we are diligent these treats become the norm and suddenly we've stalled or reaching goal is something we never achieve. Trust me I'm no saint but I do stay away from certain foods because I have no control around them.

Only by changing our relationship with food can we give ourselves the best chance of making this a long term success. The cravings will be there for a while and head hunger is a nightmare at first but if you can recognize it then you have a better chance of dealing with it.

There are those who can eat crap in moderation post op and if you are one of those then great, you're very lucky because most who claim to able to are living in cloud cuckoo land. I don't do moderation, I'm a food addict so I have to avoid the foods that made me the size of a Baby Blue Whale. However moderation is for maintaining, not this early stage

I'm impressed that you posted this and I reckon you know that it wasn't a good idea to eat what you did. Six months from now burgers will be OK, now? not so much.

I was given some great advice when I was new to this by a guy on another forum. He said before he puts something down his neck he asks himself would he be comfortable calling his surgeon and telling him what he was about to do. If the answer is no, then it didn't go in. It worked for him and it worked for me too.

So no it's not the end of the world and you should not beat yourself up about it either because that won't help at all, but use how how eating this made you feel about your surgery and call upon that to help you not make the same mistake again soon. Forget yesterday you can nothing to change it, you can do something about today, and that will be enough trust me

At the end of the day we are each answerable only to ourselves so it's your surgery, your pouch, and your long term success. Good luck with it

I was given some great advice when I was new to this by a guy on another forum. He said before he puts something down his neck he asks himself would he be comfortable calling his surgeon and telling him what he was about to do. If the answer is no, then it didn't go in. It worked for him and it worked for me too.

This made so much sense to me and I shall adopt this method.

Thank you for your advice - it was very helpful and coming from someone who is such a success at WLS it means a lot.

This made so much sense to me and I shall adopt this method.

Thank you for your advice - it was very helpful and coming from someone who is such a success at WLS it means a lot.

Glad to help. I have no doubt that you will make WLS work for you Karen, and I don't want to come across as some kind of saint because I'm far from being one LOL, but I have read so many accounts from people who risk failure because unlike you they fail to recognize that what they have done was not in their best interests.

Good luck Karen xxx

yeah i agree karen, thanks karlos, im so glad youve come back, we all need the voice of logic sometimes, and you seem to have it. thanks huni, hugs xxx

Back