• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Suzy's Journey

Suzy you just need to get your posts up over 50 I think then more features are available. I'm here every day now so I will look out for any questions anyone has x

Hi there Suzy,

Welcome to the site. Im finding this very intresting. A lot of your thoughts are very similar to those I have had along my journey but I dont think I would of been honest enough to express them in case I got the wrong answer. I am booked in for my band next Tuesday and feel like I have done enough research to understand what I am getting myself into within reason. The thing that is keeping me focussed on having the op though is the fact that I am totally and utterly desperate. I can not face another year of being like this and I can not find another way out. I have tried everthing else. In some ways I dont feel like I have a choice which is easier for me.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for. The people on here are lovely and have helped me a lot.

LOL,, thanks for coming to see me Leesh, I have to ask my questions, or i'll do my own head in, I prefer to know the answers up front whether I'll like them or not.

Ohh Wow your a few weeks ahead in your journey, and yep I'm at the same stage, I can't take another year of this, I have food diaries, weightwatcher points journals, cambridge diet journals for the past 15+years and I'm done, it doesn't work for me, I need to do this surgery, its either this surgery, or I'll just buy a tent as a dress and get on with eating myself to death...oops bit extreme but thats what came out of my head. I saw a program a few weeks ago, saying that people were commiting slow suicide by eating themselves to death and it rang a bell with me.

I hope your surgery goes 100% on Tuesday, I'll be riveted to this site, watching out for you :D

Hi Suzy
I had the band on June 1st and I have had no regrets at all so far. I have lost 49 lbs including the pre-op diet weight loss so its been 2-3lbs every week. I have felt really well and havent had a fill yet......however, you do need to work with it or you may end up dissappointed.
It is not a magic wand and doesnt take the urge to eat away BUT it has changed my view of dieting. I now have a small amount of the same food as everyone else and fill up with vegetables. I have found it much easier to say no to food i shouldnt have. I think the fact it cost £7000 as helps to keep me on track! I will be paying for it for quite some time
Please feel free to ask anything you like. I went back to full time work five days after surgery but it is different for everyone so allow yourself time to get properly well
love jo XX

Hi Suzy
I had the band on June 1st and I have had no regrets at all so far. I have lost 49 lbs including the pre-op diet weight loss so its been 2-3lbs every week. I have felt really well and havent had a fill yet......however, you do need to work with it or you may end up dissappointed.
It is not a magic wand and doesnt take the urge to eat away BUT it has changed my view of dieting. I now have a small amount of the same food as everyone else and fill up with vegetables. I have found it much easier to say no to food i shouldnt have. I think the fact it cost £7000 as helps to keep me on track! I will be paying for it for quite some time
Please feel free to ask anything you like. I went back to full time work five days after surgery but it is different for everyone so allow yourself time to get properly well
love jo XX

Wow thank you, for coming and sharing your experience, I was having some panic moments this morning. You've done fantastic :D

I will be working with the band, as long as I wake up after the surgery (that bit freaks me out) Can I ask how come you've not had a fill yet ?

hi Suzy
Its because i have been losing weight so well and my team want to wait until I have stopped losing. I had a blip a few weeks ago and put on 3lb :cry:so I booked a fill. Then the hospital cancelled it and I wasnt too fussed because I lost 2lbs and then 3lbs this week. I can have my fills any time even if its after the 18 month care package so Im now booked for a fill on 14th October. The hospital said that can also be cancelled if I am still losing. I think Im a bit unusual because others have been so desperate for a fill after about four-six weeks but I have been very careful with eating and done a lot more walking. I really want to shift the weight but what I can recommend is how different you feel even after the amount I have lost. I was a size 24 now I can get into any size 16 clothes and I feel amazing. I wish I could bottle the feeling and sell it to everyone!
Love JO XX

hi Suzy
Its because i have been losing weight so well and my team want to wait until I have stopped losing. I had a blip a few weeks ago and put on 3lb :cry:so I booked a fill. Then the hospital cancelled it and I wasnt too fussed because I lost 2lbs and then 3lbs this week. I can have my fills any time even if its after the 18 month care package so Im now booked for a fill on 14th October. The hospital said that can also be cancelled if I am still losing. I think Im a bit unusual because others have been so desperate for a fill after about four-six weeks but I have been very careful with eating and done a lot more walking. I really want to shift the weight but what I can recommend is how different you feel even after the amount I have lost. I was a size 24 now I can get into any size 16 clothes and I feel amazing. I wish I could bottle the feeling and sell it to everyone!
Love JO XX

I'd buy some for sure lol,,,i'm about a size 20-22, could be more cuz even those are tight on me. This site is great for finding out information, we don't seem to have any support groups over here

Hi Suzy . . I was a 'book in haste' two weeks from consultation to operation but I have not looked back. To be fair a year ago I had investigated a couple of companies and even visited one twice but was not convinced. Then more thanks to a friend on here (ladylite) I visited her consultant who I instantly felt 'in safe hands' with, and booked in straight away! My op was last Tuesday (21st September) but I had a bypass as I knew I would cheat a band (my willpower is negligible - I have lost and gained 4 stone a few times as soon as I think 'now I can eat normally again').

I had a slightly higher BMI than you but I felt fine after surgery (which is more intrusive than GB) but would have not wanted to be leaving hospital the following morning. Any anaesthetic can play havoc with blood pressure (I found that out!) as well as making you feel 'woosy' for a day or two, so flying would perhaps not be the best plan. What if you were last on the list and did not get the op till 5 or 6 in the evening? My consultant was still operating on his last patient at 8.30 p.m! Something you definitely should consider.

Whatever you choose good luck on your journey. I have a supportive close family but there are several in laws I have not and am not telling! My mother in law thinks I was in hospital for gall bladder problems!!!:)

All the very best Suzy and thanks...

Love and hugs xxx

Hi Suzy . . I was a 'book in haste' two weeks from consultation to operation but I have not looked back. To be fair a year ago I had investigated a couple of companies and even visited one twice but was not convinced. Then more thanks to a friend on here (ladylite) I visited her consultant who I instantly felt 'in safe hands' with, and booked in straight away! My op was last Tuesday (21st September) but I had a bypass as I knew I would cheat a band (my willpower is negligible - I have lost and gained 4 stone a few times as soon as I think 'now I can eat normally again').

I had a slightly higher BMI than you but I felt fine after surgery (which is more intrusive than GB) but would have not wanted to be leaving hospital the following morning. Any anaesthetic can play havoc with blood pressure (I found that out!) as well as making you feel 'woosy' for a day or two, so flying would perhaps not be the best plan. What if you were last on the list and did not get the op till 5 or 6 in the evening? My consultant was still operating on his last patient at 8.30 p.m! Something you definitely should consider.

Whatever you choose good luck on your journey. I have a supportive close family but there are several in laws I have not and am not telling! My mother in law thinks I was in hospital for gall bladder problems!!!:)

Hi Hsmel,

My co-ordinator has told me i'm booked in for early in the morning surgery on the Sunday, and I was following her advice to book the flights the next afternoon, everythings booked already, so I guess I will just have to place my faith in their hands. I probably will tell my other family members, just for now whilst I'm having all these internal debates myself, I don't want to have their tuppence thrown in as well, what if they start telling me I'm crazy, I've dieted for nearly 20years, which means for the last 20years I've hardly ever been comfortable in my skin, dressed the way I'd love to dress, constantly using the excuse 'when I lose the weight' i'll buy nice clothes. Well each time I do buy clothes its usually a size bigger and more ugly and baggy each time :(

So I'm doing this for me, and really can't take on trying to convince family members just yet. God only knows what secrets they're hiding eh :p I have one sister who knows, and shes supportive enough for now.

Who knows though I could turn up later and say I've shouted it from the rooftops lol

Twenty Days to Go

Had a really good diet day on Saturday, felt in control and was wondering why do i need the band after all, then yesterday my behaviour reminded me :eek:

Was going visiting some friends, so had healthy lunch before I left (plan was to eat first , then not suffer temptation when I got there)..eeh that lasted all of about five minutes after I arrived at there house, what followed was eating about 3-4 small bars of chocolate, whilst making a large Ham and Cheese Sandwich, whilst keeping an eye on the bag of buns and more chocolate, which I ate some of straight after getting the sandwich in me...Did I stop to check if I was full...of course not, sure why would I, I hardly stopped to taste the food.

Back home and kill a sheep as a lamb syndrome kicked it, so rang the local pizza takeaway and got the 'Large Meal Deal' (probably meant for a minimum of two people, but it was just little 'ol me, and I ate all the garlic bread and probably half of the large pizza, just stopping long enough to burp, I'd say :eek:

And that dear Suzy, is why you need the band :sigh:

Still got a lot of questions in my head, but I think thats perfectly natural, THG have sent me loads of literature, but as I said to my sister tonight, I'm not paying 8,000 euro to RTFM (read the F manual), I tried ringing my patient co'ordinator today but no reply, I'm putting it down to the receptionist not passing my message on, tomorrow I'll call her direct on her mobile.

Thats my latest brain dump, apologies to all who read, but I'm using this thread as a place to dump my thoughts so I can look back at them later.

Well i managed to speak to my 'Patient Co'ordinator' today, after leaving a message for her at reception yesterday, and ringing her mobile and leaving a voicemail today, I finally got through to her by phoning her again, this time she actually answered.

I told her I was concerned at the difficulty in reaching her, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears, as did most of my questions. Her answers all consisted off, 'did you receive the literature in the post' so basically, I'm being told to RTFM :(

Had a wee panic attack this morning about the procedure which is why I wanted to speak to her, but by time I spoke to her, I was over it, no thanks to her though, I was as well pulling a chair up to the wall, and talking to it lol.

Last edited:
Hi Suzy,

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I initially was a 'dive straight in' girly and initially booked with the THG (with the sexy Mr Sigursson :eek:). However then I procrastinated like a dithering fool. I finally had my surgery with Surgicare.

I've just read through the whole thread; I have to highlight what Neen said - please be careful. It took me about two months to finally feel 'normal' following my banding operation. Although I had major problems after my operation. I'm fine now!! However I would still act on caution and just take it easy and listen to your body.

As for the food thing .... I had my operation April 10th; I'm still finding my feet food wise. I DO wish I took it easy following my op in respect to following Weight Watchers etc, but I can't look back. I do acknowledge the journey will be a long one in respect to weight loss compared to my bypass/sleeve bro's ans sis'; however even I have felt a bit jaded at times. However I have been slow getting fills as I felt it important to ease into the new 'full' sensation. I'm not at my sweetspot but I definately eat less since my last fill ... but again it's all a learning curve and I'm still self-restricting myself. However my dining out habits have changed .. I DO have to leave food from my starter (for instance) to make space for my main, or even forgo it altogether. (remember I'm not at my sweetspot). Like I said I'm still learning. I hope to have a fill very soon; hopefully that will negate my need to self-restrict. Currently I am to eat 14-1500kcals per day (which I only started to do this week - so far it's been tough and I've been anal about it. I hope once I'm at the sweetspot this will aid my desired calorie intake intuitively rather than the way it is right now.

As for your patient care co-ordinator the person I dealt with at THG wasn't polite at all! Take comfort from the fact you don't have to deal with her once you have the op and most correspondence will be with your dietitian.

x

Hi Suzy and welcome to the site. I can't comment on banding as i had a bypass but just wanted to say i was done and dusted within 4 weeks of meeting my consultant, like Mary once i paid the deposit i don't think my feet touched the ground. I travelled 220 miles each way and although i went by car i was told i could fly the day after my op. However Neen is right when she says make sure somewhere along the line you plan everything right down to the finer details. I was lucky i had no pain or no complications. 13 months down the line my life has changed so much for the better and it's great to be able to wish you as much luck and success as i have enjoyed xx

Hi Suzy,

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I initially was a 'dive straight in' girly and initially booked with the THG (with the sexy Mr Sigursson :eek:). However then I procrastinated like a dithering fool. I finally had my surgery with Surgicare.

I've just read through the whole thread; I have to highlight what Neen said - please be careful. It took me about two months to finally feel 'normal' following my banding operation. Although I had major problems after my operation. I'm fine now!! However I would still act on caution and just take it easy and listen to your body.

As for the food thing .... I had my operation April 10th; I'm still finding my feet food wise. I DO wish I took it easy following my op in respect to following Weight Watchers etc, but I can't look back. I do acknowledge the journey will be a long one in respect to weight loss compared to my bypass/sleeve bro's ans sis'; however even I have felt a bit jaded at times. However I have been slow getting fills as I felt it important to ease into the new 'full' sensation. I'm not at my sweetspot but I definately eat less since my last fill ... but again it's all a learning curve and I'm still self-restricting myself. However my dining out habits have changed .. I DO have to leave food from my starter (for instance) to make space for my main, or even forgo it altogether. (remember I'm not at my sweetspot). Like I said I'm still learning. I hope to have a fill very soon; hopefully that will negate my need to self-restrict. Currently I am to eat 14-1500kcals per day (which I only started to do this week - so far it's been tough and I've been anal about it. I hope once I'm at the sweetspot this will aid my desired calorie intake intuitively rather than the way it is right now.

As for your patient care co-ordinator the person I dealt with at THG wasn't polite at all! Take comfort from the fact you don't have to deal with her once you have the op and most correspondence will be with your dietitian.

x

Thanks Cahching, my patient co'ordinator actually pulled through and yesterday got me in contact with another irish woman who has previously had the gastric band, and I had a great conversation with her over the phone, she has totally put me at ease and answered most of my questions, which is great. I feel i can approach the operation with a little less fear now that I have a real person who has done it before at the end of the phone :D

I plan on following my dietician plan to the T, when I have the operation. So please god this will prove successful for me. Since I last posted, I have also come clean and told both my parents, what I am doing, this has taken some of the secrecy pressure off me, so I feel better about that. I think there is enough stress around this journey without having to lie to the ones I love.

Hi Suzy and welcome to the site. I can't comment on banding as i had a bypass but just wanted to say i was done and dusted within 4 weeks of meeting my consultant, like Mary once i paid the deposit i don't think my feet touched the ground. I travelled 220 miles each way and although i went by car i was told i could fly the day after my op. However Neen is right when she says make sure somewhere along the line you plan everything right down to the finer details. I was lucky i had no pain or no complications. 13 months down the line my life has changed so much for the better and it's great to be able to wish you as much luck and success as i have enjoyed xx

Aww thanks gaelic girl, this site is brilliant for you all coming to share your experiences with me, and one day I hope to be able to do the same for a newbie like myself.

I am starting to think of the finer details, like today when I was doing some housework, I was thinking ooh I'll have to plan to get this all done before I set off, because housework like hoovering might not be high on my list of priorities when i return home after the operation. I've also designated my mam as my emergency contact when i return home, i've told her I won't expect her to stay over with me, but she better keep the phone by her side 24/7 and come when I ring :D

So all in all my mental approach to the operation has changed immensely over the past 48 hours, and long may this last :D

Brilliant to read that you have had a chance to chat to another irish bander as she is going to have much more relevant info regarding the practical stuff.
It's also great that you told your folks, I'm sure they will be worried as that's parents for ya...but at least you have a nice lot of info and facts to reassure you and them about what's happening and what to expect.
Housework can wait after, I'm sure your loved ones will be more than happy to give you a hand.
I'm just really happy to get the positive vibes from you, it's always great for the body to have a good positive atitude so that's ace xxxx

Brilliant to read that you have had a chance to chat to another irish bander as she is going to have much more relevant info regarding the practical stuff.
It's also great that you told your folks, I'm sure they will be worried as that's parents for ya...but at least you have a nice lot of info and facts to reassure you and them about what's happening and what to expect.
Housework can wait after, I'm sure your loved ones will be more than happy to give you a hand.
I'm just really happy to get the positive vibes from you, it's always great for the body to have a good positive atitude so that's ace xxxx

LOL,,,don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy to leave hoovering for weeks on end, but its funny the way my brain is looking at things, I guess if i make sure I leave a clean house, then I can totally relax when I get back (for weeks and weeks ;) )

Yep my poor mam is worried but I've tried to reassure her, and she asked had I ever been under general anaesthetic and when I said yep, once years ago at the dentist (he knocked me out so he could remove four wisdom teeth) she seemed relieved, cuz seemingly once you've had GA once, its safe, I hope this is true :D and also when I told her it was the same hospital that Tina Malone from Shameless got hers done, thats reassured her as well.

I'll take each day at a time, today has been a good day. I've also started my protein diet, 17days till the operation but i just felt it was time (i'm sick of feeling bloated and fat, so I may as well start as I mean to go on), so i've had two cambridge shakes and a cambridge bar, and a 2egg cheese scrambled egg and four turkey rashers for dinner. I'll stick with this routine, one protein meal in the evening for the next 10days and then I'll just move onto the cambridge sole source shakes for the last seven days instead of the milk diet.

Hi Suzy Good to hear your story; sounds like you`re already at home here on this site :)
I go in on 12th October for my gastric band with THG same place as you. Hopefully I won`t have any problems. Bit worried as my blood pressure is a bit iffy and my GP has put me on extra BP tablets to bring it down for surgery....never mind me. Sounds like you`re asking all the right questions and I know Neen is very knowledgeable on the subject, so you could`nt be in better hands.

I`ll be interested to see how you progress Good Luck with everything, glad you told your folks.

Take Care Kat x

Back